Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billie Joe Armstrong Gives Support to PRotests • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 11, 2016.

1. johnsin1001

How tolerant of you.

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

In other news: water is wet

3. aniafc

Trusted

How do you think we can fix it? I would love for everyone to be forced to take sexual assault/rape/consent classes in school. Multiple times. I don't know how much kids would focus, but it has to be worth it at this point.

Some companies will voluntarily send their employees to seminars once a year, which is awesome and those are the companies that take it seriously. I think that should be done, just to reemphasize the point.

Is that too much?

4. I'm not tolerant of those that support bigotry. Period. People are getting hurt right now because of this. The hate crimes spiking across this country are on them.

5. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Too many men think rape culture doesn't exist bc it's normalized. I'd say most don't care to learn bc just google it. It's like beating a dead horse and we get tired of explaining it. Trump being elected sent a msg to men that it's ok to talk like that and know it won't hurt their livelihood, autonomy, etc. We've backtracked to men feeling entitled to all women with this election and it's very upsetting.

6. selfreliable

Regular

If this video cant get facts right on that, how can I trust anything else they are saying? It ruins their credibility. We wouldnt let Trump get away with getting facts wrong, but we are willing to let this slide?

The EC doesnt encourage suppression. Minorities aren't going to win a public chooses race as they are vastly outnumbered. By having the EC, it allows minorities in the same area be able to have stronger voice and a better chance of their choice winning. They only need to win their state, opposed to win over the whole country.

7. Jason Tate Nov 13, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 13, 2016)
    It doesn't matter in the video. Why care about an omission that doesn't matter?

Wrong. It absolutely does encourage and support suppression. Because once they start having any impact on voting, like NC, they are targeted. The entire premise of the EC is based on slavery:

The Electoral College Has Its Origins In Slavery - Atlanta Black Star

It does not give their choice a better chance of winning. Their vote counting the same everywhere would.

8. Carlos

You said fuck that I kept saying how this race would be close. This is the "holier than thou" mind set i was talking about. Its not my country, so, but I am saying, there was a vast majority of voices that went ignored or unheard. To cover it all up as white bigotism, you are still making the same mistake. You just arent listening. Please dont ban me, we have different opinions obviously.

9. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Good. I love when repubs claimed to not have protested. They just did it in lawnchairs. Or by being crude on the internet. This presidency will have massive ramifications, and if the republicans thought we were a laughingstock under Obama...I mean for fuck's sake. This perverse, twat-grabbing, woman-hating, homophobic, racist douche should never have gotten near the Oval Office. I'm still waiting to wake up from this nightmare.

10. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

The new one is good. But ditto, some great angry music should come from this situation. Maybe rock even reign supreme again. I love Obama to death, but mainstream music has turned to complete and utter shit during his presidency, probably b/c things are good.

Kyle Max likes this.
  11. transrebel59

Regular

Honestly, every time I hear about people in the US protesting, I'm just reminded of when everybody was protesting Wall Street and then gave up after a couple weeks.

Schooner likes this.
  12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

There should def be education and i'd add to vote in local elections. if you can, join orgs that fight for what you believe in. if that's not possible be active in the ways you're able like social media or even just spreading the word to your friend group. we need to get old-fashioned awful people out of office. in pdx this year a college athlete impersonated a deputy, which is a felony, and pulled over a woman to do who knows what to her. he got probation and a fine because the judge said he shouldn't lose his scholarship and didn't want it to negatively impact his schooling. what message do these kinds of things send? it may seem like an obvious suggestion but clearly as this election has shown, it can't be stressed enough

13. aniafc

Trusted

Yep. People focus on Brock Turner, and yes that is undeniably awful, but I think most people just assume it ends there -- and that's wrong. It goes on so much more than most people think. For two years, I worked at a company that said all the right things in their "hand books" about this kind of stuff, but when it came down to it, they did nothing. I first-hand saw a boss of mine tell two female co-workers "women dress slutty nowadays and wonder why they get raped" to me and two women (one of which had been sexually assaulted in the past). We took this to HR, they did their "investigation" and told one of the women "well, if you consider yourself a feminist, that discredits you a little bit." Of course, he faced no punishment and he still has his same position in the same location. One of the women ended up quitting not too long after. I just left this company a week ago and it's disheartening because I know that they'll continue to do things like that, and tons of other companies like it.

Sorry to go on a rant there, but I'm just trying to further illustrate that this problem goes way deeper than a lot of people realize this. You probably already know that, but a lot of people don't. It's sad.

14. You'd be wrong about that too then.

15. transrebel59

Regular

Wrong about what? That the OWS protests suffered a massive loss of attendees after a couple months? Are you going to tell me that the Kony 2012 protests are still going on, as well?

16. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

All I can add to this discussions here is that there is a difference between democracy and majoritarianism. Both sides seem to forget that (especially these days) and that is always dangerous.

For the record: #NeverTrump

17. You said weeks.

18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

The thought that anyone would think he "didn't even talk like an asshole" is laughable at best.

19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

IMG_3069.GIF

20. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

Omega cringe.