Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billie Joe Armstrong Gives Support to PRotests

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day has given his support to the anti-Donald Trump protests that have risen up across the country:

“I don’t think any of us were prepared for Donald Trump to be president,” singer Billie Joe Armstrong told the BBC. “I think there’s going to come a time when the protests get larger and larger – and that I fully support.”

2. I'm shocked Trump won, but even still, statements such as "I don't think any of us were prepared" are wildly one-sided. Clearly, 60 million voters were prepared.

3. aniafc

Trusted

I'm not. This guy routinely had bigger crowds than Clinton and was crushing her in the polls. It's just that CNN and that type of media kind of kept that hidden.

I'm disappointed that he won, but not necessarily shocked. He took on this country's politics head first and people ate that shit up.

pumpkintree and kidinthebushes like this.
  4. ekjohnson4

Not Hydra

I'm all for peaceful protests. But when people are smashing windows and whatnot, idk how you can support that when you supposedly backed a candidate who said love trumps hate.

Raku, Tata Toothy and emeryk3 like this.
  5. He was not crushing her in the polls. That's just not true.

6. chickenlover

Said I'm okay, but I know how to lie.

Always funny to see how people show their real face. Always spreading love and fairness and when it comes to something they don't like they actually freak out and become the biggest assholes.

7. simplejack

I wish I could say something but silence is fine.

oh I, I want to start a revolution.

FTank likes this.
  8. Schooner

Trusted

Protesting democracy. Good one.

Raku and emeryk3 like this.
  9. pbueddi

Trusted

I think that's just something we have to learn from this election cycle. You can't always listen to what the polls are saying. they seemed to be way off this time around.

Raku and Tata Toothy like this.
  10. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Except we aren't a true democracy...therefore fighting for democracy makes total sense in this case. If we were a democracy, we wouldn't have the electoral college.

11. aniafc

Trusted

He was, just CNN and those outlets wouldn't cover it because they didn't want to admit it. From the start, Clinton struggled against him head-on, while Sanders was beating him routinely.

We have no one to blame but the DNC for this. They had a guy in Sanders who stood a better chance, but they threw him away and tried to force Clinton down people's throats when that's not who they wanted.

stuckinvhs and Raku like this.
  12. This is not true. None of it. I followed the polls and models daily for over three months. You can see the historical averages on pollster or RCP or 538. This is just wrong. The polls were off by a small margin nationally and off in a few correlated states. But they had Clinton up. And up pretty sizably until the Comey bullshit.

And Sanders would not have beaten him routinely. That's not how that works either. And blaming the DNC is silly when she got millions of more votes than Bernie.

13. ManBearPuig

The electoral college is more fair than just counting the popular vote. Without the EC, a lot of states would not have a say in the election and most candidates would spend their time in CA, NY and other more populated states while ignoring the flyover and rust belt states where the people who supported Trump live. Ignoring huge swaths of the country was part of the reason that HC couldn't carry states like WI or MI.

Raku, Spencer Rhoton and Schooner like this.
  14. And the argument is: people should have a say, not the states.

Re: The Trouble With The Electoral College – Cities, Metro Areas, Elections and The United States

Anticitizen7 likes this.
  15. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

He seems to be backing down on some of his policies already. Hopefully a lot of the crap he said in his campaigns was just to cater to voters (ie "build a wall") and he's got people talking sense into his ear.

Raku likes this.
  16. aniafc

Trusted

They did screw over Sanders, though. The DNC picked their candidate a long time ago and never gave him any support. There's even ideas that he was in on it the whole time (not saying that's true). The DNC did have this thing rigged in her favor the whole time. They forced her out there and expected everybody to like her.

I know a lot of people who liked Sanders who ended up voting for Trump instead of her. Trump is a moron, but he's more liberal than people give him credit for. I worry about his presidency, but then a part of me doesn't because he's been pretty democratic his whole life. Pence is scarier, to be honest, but they're so different on their views that idk how much influence he'll have on Trump. Hopefully he just picked him to secure those old miswesterns.

Raku and mattylikesfilms like this.
  17. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I guess a Trump presidency is the logical progression after Revolution Radio.

stuckinvhs and Raku like this.
  18. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Not all the protests have been violent. I'm gonna go out in a limb and say those are the ones he is most likely supporting.

ekjohnson4 likes this.
  19. Those people are fucking idiots.

20. selfreliable

Regular

Raku likes this.
  21. No he isn't.

22. I am aware of the two states that divide EV votes by district. That doesn't change anything.

No they're not. The EC encourages suppression of the minority vote and due to logistics of minority voters many of them end up with the candidate they didn't vote for (Arizona, Texas, NC, Fl). Their votes count less in this system.

23. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe Green Day will write a good album now.

simplejack, Raku, ekjohnson4 and 2 others like this.
  24. Tata Toothy

Regular

I'm for peaceful protest and I'm happy people are speaking their mind.. the violence against other citizens, burning buildings, spraying painting buldings and just any form of vandalism is disturbing and those people are no better than the people they're "protesting" against. if you support that you're just as much of a problem.

Also it was a 50/50 chance Trump would win, saying none of us were prepared just sounds ridiculous.

Raku likes this.
  25. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

You can't blame people for being surprised that someone who ran on misogyny, xenophobia, and just straight up hate won. Someone who, on tape, bragged about assaulting women. And that's just the tip of why he was an awful candidate.

Everyone underestimated how bad people wanted absolutely anyone who was not apart of the corrupt govt machine, even if that outsider was a massive scumbag.

Zac Djamoos, Raku and FTank like this.