Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billie Holiday Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 9, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Eleanora ***an (April 7, 1915 – July 17, 1959), professionally known as Billie Holiday, was an American jazz musician and singer-songwriter with a career spanning nearly thirty years. Nicknamed "Lady Day" by her friend and music partner Lester Young, Holiday had a seminal influence on jazz music and pop singing. Her vocal style, strongly inspired by jazz instrumentalists, pioneered a new way of manipulating phrasing and tempo. Holiday was known for her vocal delivery and improvisation skills, which made up for her limited range and lack of formal music education. While there were other jazz singers with equal talent, Billie Holiday had a voice that captured the attention of her audience

[​IMG]

2. cshadows2887

So much love for Lady Day.

Lady in Satin, with all the cracks and wear on her voice but her skills undimmed, is an emotionally overwhelming listen.

3. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

SOOO much love. I went through The Lady Day Collection a bunch over winter break. So incredible.

4. George

Trusted Prestigious

The censor blurs out her surname ha.

5. cshadows2887

One of the best Christmas presents I've ever gotten was Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia. 10 discs! I will be processing it for the next decade.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  6. cshadows2887

My students recognized and could identify "Strange Fruit" in the wild because I played it for them in class. I think that counts a making the world a better place.

7. PauLo

43% Burnt

Was watching The Wire and the episode where Colvin has her on in the car came on. It reminded me that it’s been far too long since I’ve listened to Lady Day, so having a catch up now.