Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Billie Eilish Tops the Charts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Billie Eilish has the number one album in the country this week:

Billie Eilish’s When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? claims a third nonconsecutive week at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart, as it set rises 3-1 in its ninth week on the list.

The set earned 62,000 equivalent album units in the week ending May 30, according to Nielsen Music (down 1% compared to the previous week).

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Happy for her success. Can't believe she is only 17. Hope given her mental health she is able to process and handle the fame well.

3. somethingwitty

Trusted

Is she not an industry plant with very well-connected parents? It'll be interesting to see if she does work that isn't written and produced by her brother. It's very clear, from listening to her in an interview, that her brother clearly wrote those lyrics, she comes off as very aloof and not well spoken.

4. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

riddle me this, can a girl be successful without being called an industry plant? seems like when young men are successful it's attributed to them, even when they're "well-connected" or have collaborators.

as for "aloof and not well spoken" - she's a teenage girl. her main audience is teenage girls. they relate to both her interviews and her lyrics and shockingly, you can write very poetically but speak very casually. seems strange to just decide her brother must do everything for her when he's very much constantly pointing out that it is a truly collaborative relationship.

personally, i think it's nice to see a young girl with clear boundaries in interviews, especially when worse behavior than "speaking and answering carefully" is praised in her male peers. not to mention that she's quite vocal about the fact that every on-camera interview is a struggle to not have her tourette's symptoms recorded! girl is just doing her best and someone is always waiting in the wings to tear her down.

5. a lack of color

Regular

:clap::clap::clap:

tyramail likes this.
  6. somethingwitty

Trusted

Plenty of women out there KILLING it without having previously had industry connections. Charly Bliss, FKA Twigs, Lizzo, HAElos, Clairo, etc...Billie is being pushed as a true artist, when in actuality she seems to have had very little input in creating her music. Great tunes for her demographic, but she comes off as a less talented Lorde.

Her Billboard cover discussing her teams’ approach to her rollout is extremely fascinating.

7. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Looks like you missed @personalmaps' point entirely so why don't you just move along.

8. personalmaps

women taking advantage of their connections to gain traction in an industry that is historically against them is not some nefarious plot to get what they don't deserve. it's being smart.

i can promise you that every woman on your "real" artist list there would support billie and her career. (especially charly bliss!) she is no less involved than any other artist - she is the voice. it doesn't exist without her. pitting her against Lorde (who also doesn't play any instruments and works with collaborators) is very silly. they're both creating art in their own way with the resources available to them.

there is no real or fake. there are some artists doing things one way and some doing it another way. some of them are using network connections, some aren't.

9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Those network connections comments are completely overblown, it still amazes me how theories like that are disseminated. I’m consistently finding connections between artists that I like. For example, no one calls The 1975/Matty Healy an industry plant, even when his parents are moderately famous, moreso than Billies. It’s a terrible double standard and comment that’s meant to disregard the content that the artist provides.

10. personalmaps

11. Lucas27

Trusted

If the definition of “industry plant” is using personal connections to gain traction while also being used by those connections to benefit the music industry as a whole then isn’t everyone technically an “industry plant”? And isn’t taking advantage of those business opportunities (in healthy ways) just good for the music industry? What an odd term. It’s just good business. And a nice bonus when it’s good music being blown up.

Really love Billie Eilish. Both her music and interviews. So happy for her success and agree I hope she does alright. Glad she has her family around.

12. somethingwitty

Trusted

It’s awesome that you guys are all feeling her so much! Hopefully she’ll be able to deliver an artistic statement of her own eventually and not puppet her brothers material. Her and Post Malone might be the biggest plants we’ve seen in awhile...

13. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

You just never stop, do you?

14. somethingwitty

Trusted

Criticizing a pop star for delivering an inauthentic representation of music is really that bothersome?

15. personalmaps

Ah cool so you’ll just be ignoring all of the points made. Maybe you’re a message board plant puppeting someone else’s argument :(

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I do find it uncomfortable that a teenage girl has a song about wanting to fuck your dad that her older brother worked on but I can't imagine the reaction to that being that she's a brat

SaveTheEarth likes this.
  17. somethingwitty

Trusted

What other points? Sorry, I will not ever support an artist who isn’t actively writing their own music. There’s tons of VERY talented voices out there that don’t write their on stuff, good for them. But they’re not artists, much in the same way that the painter who paints your house is talented, but not an artist. It’s become too acceptable to be a shallow pop star chasing social media likes/followers, much like Billie’s roll out was designed by her team.

18. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

Surely your username is supposed to be ironic?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  19. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

Imagine thinking that you get to dictate authenticity of someone else’s art they produce. I don’t really understand why you seem to think she doesn’t write any of her songs, either. Just because her brother writes a lot of her music, doesn’t mean she isn’t collaborating. She has songwriting credits on a ton of songs and has talked about starting to write songs as early as 11. Your take is trash.

20. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

How dare Billie Eilish even THINK about taking an experience as universal as music and be collaborative with it

Music is for boring white acoustic artists to write alone

21. Yeah, someone's going into timeout. What a horrendous "argument" ... collaboration being the same as painting a house. :crylaugh:

Not supporting someone that doesn't write every note of what they perform. Literally every classical musician out there just died from their eyes falling out of their skull.

22. Ben Lee

I drink coffee and dad my kids Supporter

No, you're just a fucking asshole and that's what's bothersome.

tyramail likes this.
  23. kindly eat shit

CMilliken and tyramail like this.
  24. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I forgot, this is the guy that cries “industry plant” any time he can. Not surprised.

25. Lucas27

Trusted

[[​IMG]