Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bill Simmons Talks About the First Year of the Ringer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Recode sat down to talk with Bill Simmons about first year of The Ringer, ESPN, and his canceled HBO show:

We talked to Yahoo. We talked to Vice a little bit. But the thing about my ESPN experience — that I was terrified to replicate — was you align yourself with somebody — and really, you’re aligning yourself with one or two people — that just believes in you and your idea and what you do. If those people go away, or those people change, now you’re stuck with different people who might not believe in what you want to do. I just didn’t want to go through that again.

It sounds like his podcasting network, for the most part, is what’s bringing in the money while the website continues to find its footing. That fits my own habits: I don’t read the website at all, thought the TV show sucked, and listen to quite a few of the podcasts.1

1. Although with the Patriots winning the Super Bowl that may make those unlistenable for a little while.

2. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I'm being completely serious when I ask this but what about Bill Simmons do people find entertaining? I've tried for years to listen to his stuff and he's just so boring and goes on about Boston. He is the worst part of the Ringer network of podcasts.

3. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

He came off as pretty defensive in this interview. I do enjoy the Ringer and several of the podcasts. I wasn't huge on the show either, but it did start to get better near the end, but still nothing a would schedule into my week.

4. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I think he's a really good interviewer. He always seems to get a little more detail with his questions and seems to have a good chemistry going with most of his guests.

5. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

His writing is really fun to read imo. It contains the right mix of humour, fact, opinion and creativity.

6. Rushmore33

He's a great writer and I found the interviews on his show to be really rewarding. He has a great rapport with his guests and asks questions that can be simultaneously silly and revealing. The Ringer is amazing if only because you can get a daily dose of Shea Serrano. I only really listen to The Watch podcast with Andy Greenwald (who was my favorite writer at Grantland besides Serrano and Steve Hyden, both of their work is missed greatly at The Ringer) and Chris Ryan.

7. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

I listen to podcasts on my Android and The Ringer pods just seem more annoying/difficult to listen to than others. Like if I wanna listen to Zach Lowe I just click play and it works in my browser. The Ringer pods don't work like that for some reason.