Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Big Thief - U.F.O.F. (May 3, 2019) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by sean_rugy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Jenni is song of the year

2. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

dearly wish "Shoulders" were on this

3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

New version of from is very good

MrAirplane likes this.
  4. radiodead

Trusted

Uhg. This and VW on the same day, we are literally not worthy.

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  5. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

is this might actually be the best album ever made

6. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Yeah 2019 has treated us very well so far

7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Haven’t heard the earlier version of From, but this one sounds so ethereal I love it.

8. username

hey you lil piss baby

9. copperperson997

Honestly they deserve a score that high!
    Not sure I agree with it being the highest they've given in years (it doesn't have the same political weight and Importance as something else around that range like Low's Double Negative), but it's still stellar and I'm fully on board with this band after hearing the record.

And anyway, there is some relevance To Now with the songs about queer desire - at least that's how I keep interpreting some of these songs - and anxiety about the future.

10. Finally listened to this tonight after spending most of the weekend on VW and it's really really good. Didn't listen to any of the singles pre-release so "Cattails" really blew me away, probably my favorite on first listen along with "Jenni."

Album reminds me of so many things (Red House Painters, Bonnie Prince Billy, Emmylou's Wrecking Ball ) but then it simultaneously sounds like nothing I've heard before. I dunno. It's great, regardless.

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

ayyyyyyy

12. every time i listen to this album i get to this one song and i’m like “oh this one is really hitting me this time” and i can never remember which song it is and every time i look down and it’s “open desert”

i guess what i’m saying is, more love for “open desert”

13. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I think the way Lenker writes about the environment is really important politically now, and the review dwells on this a lot with the "deep ecology" and Rachel Carson discussions.

14. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Songwriting on this is unreal, but the production is no slouch either. The guitars sound beautiful and alive. Anytime there are electric guitars I find myself in awe of their beautiful tone. Can’t wait to dive into the lyrics more, which is something I havnt been able to do as much, mostly bc most of my listens have been while driving!

15. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Strange is one of my favorites on here.

LWS, username and teebs41 like this.
  16. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

This rules

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I can't put into words why, but I get the same immediate feelings to this as I got from Goodness. Is earthy a good way to describe an album? I want to lay on grass and listen to this on repeat.

LWS, jpmalone4, Cameron and 6 others like this.
  18. I had that exact same sentiment typed out in my post late last night but then deleted it because I couldn't really explain why it reminded me of Goodness and felt dumb. I think part of it might be the springtime release (at least for me) but I get the same feeling

19. username

hey you lil piss baby

100%. Sonically they are very different, but I find they very much evoke the same mood and imagery.

EmmanuelSCastle and OhTheWater like this.
  20. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Hey so this is the best album of the year and it’s not even closeeeeee.

Can’t believe it hasn’t even been three years since I saw these guys in a sandwich shop and now they’re headlining 2,000 caps.

21. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

This and Laura Stevenson are at the top of my list rn. As much as that album is like emotionally honest and vulnerable, this album is just mysterious and soothing. Both very different types of like healing through music.

KalValor and sean_rugy like this.
  22. this album is perfect

23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I definitely got Radiohead vibes from some of this.

24. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Im actually under contract to listen to anything that is compared to Goodness on this site, so I guess I'll be checking this out.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  25. radiodead

Trusted

Yea big time Radiohead vibes. Probably my two new favorite records of the year (This and VW) dropping on the same day. I get a feeling there will be comments in twenty years how these albums dropped the same day. They’re both instant classics imo.