Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Big Thief - U.F.O.F. (May 3, 2019) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by sean_rugy, Feb 26, 2019.

1. phew no more anthony Ronald McDonald

sean_rugy, dadbolt, jordalsh and 2 others like this.
  2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Century is my current favorite, those opening lines hit me like a truck once I played it with the actual lyrics in front of me

DaydreamNation likes this.
  3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I was literally just about to come in here, and gush about Century. The guitar part at the end is so smooth

LWS likes this.
  4. pretty crazy that I'm pretty sure Century was written super quickly once they were already mid-recording session at the cabin in WA

5. coleslawed, Mary V, teebs41 and 3 others like this.
  6. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

7. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

there's a theory that the reason people keep seeing UFOs is because our world right now is super polarized and the celestial, circular objects are a symbol of wholeness, some sort of unconscious projection onto the sky

anyway I wonder if Big Thief is a living UFO

coleslawed and incognitojones like this.
  8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this rules. man, i love the textures they work with here. adrianne’s voice is stunning.

9. phaynes12

the radiohead comparisons kinda make sense but i’m getting much more latter-day elliott smith

10. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yeah I didn't get the Radiohead comparisons at all tbh. Elliot Smith + psych folk sounds much better describes it for me

teebs41 and yung_ting like this.
  11. username

hey you lil piss baby

The Radiohead comparisons are not about sound, they’re about how in sync each member of the band seems to be playing on this record imo

teebs41 likes this.
  12. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

So it's just that they're a good band that writes good songs?

13. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i mean some of the lost in the woods atmosphere on this record can also be found in a moon shaped pool, but again that is a result of band interplay. they both go dreamy and otherworldly with ease

teebs41 and coleslawed like this.
  14. phaynes12

i mean, some of the melodies are quite similar to thom’s and it seems like a similar writing style. but the actual music and her voice sound next to nothing like them and, yeah, more like elliott and freak folk

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  15. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

More than any one thing this album reminds me of the first episode of the last season of High Maintenance.

16. omg yes

17. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

This album very much feels like getting to the Deku village in Breathe of the Wild and then pulling out the mastersword.

18. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

I think it more so feels like wandering in the lost woods until you become a skull kid.

teebs41, coleslawed and unbornwhiskey like this.
  19. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

This post needs 13 hearts minimum

angel paste, oncenowagain and teebs41 like this.
  20. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Some of the guitar playing reminds me of In Rainbows, but the comparisons pretty much end there.

This is such a magnificent work of art that has continued to grow on me. I’ve loved Big Thief for a long time, and this is so not the record I expected from them, which is really cool.

teebs41 likes this.
  21. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I hear zero Radiohead in this at all

I do however see some Aaron Weiss in the dude in the dude in the orange shirt on the cover

MrAirplane and StormAndTheSun like this.
  22. I don't know if this sounds like Radiohead or not and I don't really care because it's better than anything Radiohead's put out in about 12 years or so

23. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Well, that’s not necessarily true - at least not to the degree that it warrants such a claim - but...hmm, alright.

24. Moon Shaped Pool is great but it's not "change your life" good. This record is. Just one person's shitty opinion

25. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Fair enough! Just making sure you weren’t shitting on Radiohead ;)