Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Biffy Clyro Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I've been listening to a lot of Biffy since last week. Here's a couple of thoughts I've had:

The new album has grown on me a fair bit after seeing a whole chunk of it live, I still think it's their weakest album, On a Bang is still an absolute rager though.

I'd love to see an album show of Opposites (my love for this album still seems to grow on each listen almost 4 years after it was released). I think it's my joint 2nd favourite Biffy album now (along with Puzzle) behind Blackened Sky.

I really wish they would throw in a few more older tracks into their 2 hour sets. I think songs like Questions and Answers, All The Way Down, Glitter and Trauma and My Recovery Injection would fit in with their newer tracks in a live setting.

Larry David likes this.
  2. Paul Beaumont

I do agree about more older songs, but seeing the way Wave Upon Wave went down I doubt they'll be making too much of an effort to throw in more unfortunately.

Larry David likes this.
  3. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah that didn't go down well at London either. 57 went down well though. The thing is wave is especially abrasive, they could definitely fit in more of the tracks with big chorus's from the first few albums that would fit right in.

Larry David likes this.
  4. George

Trusted Prestigious

Wave Upon Wave is a bit of an odd song to begin with, I like it a lot - but it's definitely not suited for an area in a way that some of their earlier stuff might be.

I was surprised to see them play it, as opposed to some of their more hook filled songs. It also didn't go down well in Cardiff.

Larry David likes this.
  5. Paul Beaumont

I actually I feel am in the minority of old Biffy fans that doesn't really like Infinity Land at all. People say they were always weird and abrasive but I feel Vertigo of Bliss and Blackened Sky are both pretty straight forward rock albums with amazing hooks and just big guitars.

Larry David likes this.
  6. George

Trusted Prestigious

One of those "holy shit where did time go" moments, Puzzle was released 10 years ago today.

Larry David likes this.
  7. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck I remember buying that the day it came out, what an album.

Larry David likes this.
  8. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

I'm only 25 and 'Puzzle' turning 10 makes me feel ancient!

Larry David likes this.
  9. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

ghostxvapor, ugman_2000 and George like this.
  10. SilverScreen

Nihil Nihil

I can't believe that Infinity Land is going to be 14 years old this year. It was my introduction to the band and I have many memories attached to that album.

11. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Infinity Land is so, so great!

That Some Kind of Wizard, Wave Upon Wave, Only One Word Comes To Mind run might be my favourite in their discog.

12. Larry David

No surprise that the MTV Unplugged record is fucking perfect!

Mon the biff!

13. Larry David

14. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

15. MikeERayner

Trusted

Listening now! Fuck yeah!

16. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Awesome surprise! Love the new song.

17. It's WILD that they dropped a new studio album by proxy with less than 24 hours notice - might not be Opus 8 but it's 65 minutes of new Biffy so it counts as album 7.5 imo!

MikeERayner likes this.
  18. Breath

Regular

Cool song, hope they get back on track after a dissapointing record like Ellipsis.

Opposites is the shit.

ghostxvapor likes this.
  19. Jamie Dagg

Master of not knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Loving the direction they've taken with this. Definitely feels less on the commercial side of things and way more experimental which I'm really appreciating (as much as I really enjoyed a lot of Ellipsis)! Can't wait to see what the film is like too.

20. owenlongsworth

Regular

This hit immediately, while Ellipsis & Opposites all took awhile to grow on me. For me, this album feels like what they wanted to do with Ellipsis, but more well executed.

Ellipsis kind of felt like, even with some new elements, they’ve exhausted their current sound (mostly the softer songs, they’re all starting to sound the same.) Puzzle was the transition album for their sound, everything that came after has a similar feel to it. Although they do that sound well, I’m starting to need something new from them.

I’m also surprised we never got an album of Ellipsis b-sides.

MikeERayner likes this.
  21. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Really dig this, and fucking love the surprise element. “Sunrise” and “Tunnels & Trees” were standouts on first listen. They mix it up quite a bit on this one. I could see “Different Kind of Love” being a crossover hit.

22. Supernova May 17, 2019
    (Last edited: May 18, 2019)
    Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

Only though Sunrise so far but holy shit this is top notch. Didn’t expect(at least so far), album quality songs from a movie soundtrack or a project like this. Idk what kind of movie this is, but the movie poster 100% does not go with the music at all though.

23. owenlongsworth May 18, 2019
    (Last edited: May 18, 2019)
    owenlongsworth

Regular

It’s only been a day, but I think this is my new favorite Biffy album.

I’m also really high right now and the bridge/ending of Fever Dream into Navy Blue just gave me an out of body experience. It feels like a completely different album from what was at the beginning, and it’s only halfway through the album.

Edit: okay, totally caught myself dancing in the living room to Jasabiab. Got them Beatles vibes.

24. Supernova

Prayers/Triangles Prestigious

We're getting close.

25. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I am hoping there will be a single in a few weeks