Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Biffy Clyro Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by George, Mar 9, 2016.

1. George

Trusted Prestigious

Biffy Clyro are a Scottish rock band that formed in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, composed of Simon Neil (guitar, lead vocals), James Johnston (bass, vocals) and Ben Johnston (drums, vocals). Currently signed to 14th Floor Records, they have released six studio albums, three of which (Puzzle, Only Revolutions and Opposites) reached the top five in the UK Albums Chart, with their sixth studio album Opposites claiming their first UK number one album.

[​IMG]

Essential albums: Infinity Land (If you want a "wonky rock" album), Puzzle (If you want a Stadium filler).

Larry David likes this.
  2. George

Trusted Prestigious

Wonky Rock

Stadium Filler

Neither of these songs are from the specific albums recommended above, but their discography is so great.

Larry David likes this.
  3. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

Cool to see a thread started for Biffy. Excited for whatever they are teasing this week - hopefully a new single and album announcement. Saw them play Blackened Sky + Puzzle in the Barrowlands at the end of 2014, quite possibly my favourite gig.

Larry David likes this.
  4. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I think they're releasing a new song Monday (I hope!)

5. Callum Macleod

Do or do not, there is no try.

They are! "Wolves of Winter" will premier around 19:20 (UK time) on Annie Macs BBC Radio 1 show. Hopefully get an album announcement at the same time.

Larry David and ghostxvapor like this.
  6. George

Trusted Prestigious

New album called Ellipsis on July 8th!!!

New track called Wolves of Winter, which you can stream here; Hear The New Biffy Clyro Track, Wolves Of Winter - Kerrang!

It's good to hear something a bit different. It's not a complete step away from their more radio rock stuff, but it's definitely a bit weirder, which is always nice.

Larry David and ghostxvapor like this.
  7. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I love how Simon name dropped Cave In when talking about the producer. That made me smile

Larry David likes this.
  8. ghostxvapor

Trusted

Did anyone else pre-order the box set?

Larry David likes this.
  9. George

Trusted Prestigious

Larry David likes this.
  10. George

Trusted Prestigious

If that's the album artwork it's atrocious!

Larry David likes this.
  11. I've heard a few tracks from these guys and they seem like a band I would love, but for whatever reason I've never really done a deep dive into their discography. Would Puzzle be the logical place to start? I think the songs I've heard and enjoyed are the singles from that album.

Larry David likes this.
  12. George

Trusted Prestigious

Depends what you're after, I suppose! I think Puzzle is a nice middle-ground between their poppier sound on the later albums, and their weirder, rawer stuff on their earlier albums. So yeah listen to Puzzle, and if you fancy something more experimental move backwards, or move forwards if you want something more accessible.

Larry David likes this.
  13. Cool, thanks! Going to move this band to the top of my list.

Larry David likes this.
  14. Paul Beaumont

I really do think their first two 'Blackened Sky' and 'Vertigo of Bliss' are just as accessible as anything else they've done from Puzzle onwards, people talk about Biffy like they were some art/math rock band before Puzzle but other than Infinity Land they've always been really accessible and a brilliant sing along band. Their most successful album was Only Revolutions, and quite possibly their most immediate to get into, but I'd still go with Blackened Sky or Puzzle.

Larry David likes this.
  15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Production is definitely a lot rawer and rougher on the earlier. I'd agree that Blackened Sky isn't as "mathy" as the other two, but the grungey production, compared to the sleekness of Puzzle, and those that followed, definitely make it less immediately accessible.

I'd also disagree on Vertigo of Bliss. They were doing some weird shit on there; Bodies in Flight, Now The Action is On Fire, Toys, Toys... etc are far more "out there" than anything they would do on the later three. Not that it makes them better or anything, but if you were a newcomer, I think Vertigo and Infinity Land are not the best places to start.

Larry David likes this.
  16. George

Trusted Prestigious

Larry David likes this.
  17. Paul Beaumont

Anyone heard Animal Style? I quite like it.

Larry David likes this.
  18. George

Trusted Prestigious

It sounded good on Jools Holand the other night! Haven't heard a studio version though.

19. Broxi

Damn, I love Biffy, especially Puzzle onwards. But the only song I like here is Wolves of Winter and even that doesn't really get near their other favourites of mine

Larry David likes this.
  20. Dumpweed182

Shut Up

It's on Spotify, really good.

Larry David likes this.
  21. JM95

Trusted

22. Paul Beaumont

I'm slightly cautious with this one but I'm sure I'll end up buying it and enjoying it.

Larry David likes this.
  23. JM95

Trusted

New video up for Animal Style

Larry David likes this.
  24. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

I bought Puzzle on vinyl the other day. That album still holds up ridiculously well, can't believe it's 9 years old now.

I'm still looking forward to the new album but haven't been that convinced by the songs they've released so far. Saying that though it took ages for Opposites to grow on me but now that's probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite by them.

Larry David likes this.
  25. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

Wonky-rock Biffy is definitely my favourite kind of Biffy. Infinity Land and Vertigo of Bliss are just so frantic, erratic and unpredictable and I'd love them to pull another one in that style out of the bag at some point, (or maybe even a cheeky third Marmaduke Duke album).

Saying that though, I have enjoyed every record they've released and have seen them a bunch of times since they became huge in the UK, plus I really, really enjoyed Opposites so I'm looking forward to Ellipses.

Larry David likes this.