Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Better Oblivion Community Center (Phoebe Bridgers & Conor Oberst) - (January 24, 2019) Album • Page 65

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Jan 7, 2019.

1. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

My City.

ChaseTx likes this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

11 track album!!!

But to play the game, Dominos, not because it's not awesome, because it is, simply because it's a cover.

3. oncenowagain

“the whole world’s ending” “honey it already did” Prestigious

Yup, I don’t want it to disappear, but, I would trade little trouble for dominos if there was some very specific scenario in which I had to take one song off the album. A specific, extremely hypothetical situation which is not grounded in reality whatsoever.

Serenity Now, coleslawed and ChaseTx like this.
  4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

"Dominos" isn't really a cover, though, it's a song Taylor wrote for Conor and Phoebe to sing, right? like there isn't an original recording of the song for them to cover, as far as I understand it?

also that's a top 3 song on here in either case and y'all buggin

5. Rowan5215

piping hot take: I'd trade "Dylan Thomas" for "Little Trouble", not out of any lack of love for "Dylan Thomas" but because it feels more like a single, and I imagine "Little Trouble" was left off because the vocal melodies are similar

coleslawed likes this.
  6. oncenowagain Aug 18, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 18, 2019)
    oncenowagain

Cover or not, the fact that there are 9 songs on the album that are better than Dominos means it should get booted in this “never gonna happen” scenario.

ChaseTx likes this.
  7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

8. Rowan5215

damn, I stand corrected. been looking for that, thanks!

irthesteve likes this.
  9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love dominos, wouldn’t change a thing about the record

10. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Sleepwalkin’? How dare you!

11. Serenity Now

This is a game where everyone loses. I see that now.

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I'm not sure I like Little Trouble more than anything on the record. Great song, though.

figureitout likes this.
  13. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

dominos can definitely go.

oncenowagain likes this.
  14. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Never

15. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Are they ever going to release official versions of their covers of each other's songs or are they going to continue to hate me

16. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I don't understand the bias against covers, I wish more artists would put them on albums.

And would anyone really boot "You Missed My Heart" off Strangers in the Alps just because it's a cover?? That would be absurd.

17. Serenity Now

I agree. I really like that Spoon have a tradition of sneaking a cover into most of their LPs. More people should do it.

oncenowagain and Aregala like this.
  18. Tom

It's way too late, or much too early Prestigious

The opening track on this record is probably still my favorite.

oncenowagain likes this.
  19. oncenowagain

I really have no bias against covers on albums. I’m just of the opinion that as a song, cover or not, Dominos the least interesting song on the album.

Knowing that it is a cover, coupled with the fact that its also my least favorite song on here, means I wouldn’t mind if it got booted in the extremely hypothetical situation that was proposed.

20. Serenity Now

For the record, I appreciate how much you stress the fact that the situation is only hypocritical, haha.

ChaseTx and oncenowagain like this.
  21. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

I mean that's fine if you don't like the song! I personally feel it's essential to the album lol

But yeah I was just speaking specifically to the argument that covers don't merit places on albums or are somehow less worthy than originals.

oncenowagain likes this.
  22. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

For the record literally

oncenowagain likes this.
  23. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

It was crisp af out yesterday morning when I listened to this and felt it's going to click even more as a fall record.

24. Sybil

Regular

Has there been a "track-by-track" interview with BOCC? I swear I saw something like that somewhere months ago, but now I cant find it.

I'm trying to find any comments they've made about "Sleepwalkin'".

25. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

i'm like 99.8% sure there is no track by track. if conor told me what service road was about, i'd remember, and i dont' remember much