Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Best of 2016 & Rogue One (Encore Episode 139) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s super sized episode of Encore features a lengthy discussion about our favorite albums of 2016. We go through our top 10 and break down why those albums were important to us this year. The second half of the episode is all about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — it is filled with spoilers so you can pause if you haven’t seen it yet and come back to it later. We wanted to give you a jam packed episode for the last two weeks of the year.

Hope you enjoy and have a great holiday!

Hosts + More

Show Notes

• Pre-show: Holiday plans and such. Also, this is Thomas’ last episode as a co-host. This episode is all AOTY stuff and Rogue One stuff.
    • Album of the year lists — opening thoughts and such. How we made the lists, etc. We discuss Jason’s list, then Thomas’, with us asking questions back and forth.
    Jason’s List:

1. The 1975 – I like it when you sleep…
    2. Jimmy Eat World – Integrity Blues
    3. Bon Iver – 22, A Million
    4. Carly Rae Jepsen – Emotion Side B
    5. Butch Walker – Stay Gold
    6. Direct Hit! – Wasted Mind
    7. Young The Giant – Home on the Strange
    8. Tiger Army – V
    9. The Japanese House – Swim Against the Tide EP
    10. Yellowcard – Yellowcard
    Thomas’s List:

1. Kevin Devine – Instigator
    2. Modern Baseball – Holy Ghost
    3. Every Time I Die – Low Teens
    4. Chance The Rapper – Coloring Book
    5. Pinegrove – Cardinal
    6. All Get Out – Nobody Likes A Quitter
    7. PUP – The Dream Is Over
    8. Against Me! – Shape Shift With Me
    9. Bon Iver – 22, A Million
    10. Direct Hit! – Wasted Mind
    Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

The older I get the more I hate snow. We had a terrible ice storm in my area a few years back and it caused major power outages. It destroyed my enthusiasm for almost any winter weather.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Haven't seen Rogue One, probably never will, but I absolutely love the nerds accusing "liberals"(WTF?)of giving this bad reviews. Because Vader is such a democrat. :crylaugh: Allmovie is being trashed by middle aged Star Wars lovers.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

In response to Thomas, Ep8 really isn't being rushed. It was already delayed 6 months, it was going to come out Summer 2017 originally. They finished filming and started editing while ago, so they have over a full year to work on it before release.

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

@Jason Tate Alright i gotta know... Was Hotelier #11?

6. ARo24

Regular

I'm 100% with you on this. It's not even Christmas yet and I'm sick of the snow this year.

7. The comments on AllMovie are hilarious. A little tragic, too

8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Hey, we don't disagree on Rogue One all that much!

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. MattNCheeze

Trusted

My 10-1 for 2016 is Jank.

RIP Jank :/

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. :vader:

Chase Tremaine and Nathan like this.
  11. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Agree, I kinda feel bad for those people.

12. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

I originally read this part as, "The older I get the more I hate this show," and I was like wow, tough crowd. :crylaugh:

SoundInTheSignals likes this.
  13. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

more like rest in shit, sadly.

14. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Just got around to listening to the Star Wars portion of the episode. I'm honestly surprised because I thought rogue one was much better than the force awakens.

I could write an essay on it but summed up while the character development of rogue one isn't as good as the force awakens I personally feel as though The plot devices were a little too similar to a new hope for my fancy. I give the force awakens as a whole about a 75 where as I give the first two acts of rogue one each 70 but the final act a 95.

paperlung likes this.
  15. MattNCheeze

Trusted

Sorry for double posting.

At the same time, the force awakens had a lot more riding on shoulders. You're already inherently pigeonholed being the first film of the trilogy whose only purpose is to set up the plot for episodes eight and nine. I actually have much higher expectations for episode eight then I do for the fourth awakens or rogue one.

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  16. Y'all had a lot of similar complaints with Rogue as I had, except I simply enjoyed it a whole lot less. A major letdown in my book.

I really like your top ten lists, even though they're fairly different from mine. I've got nothing in common with JT's (although 1975 were in my mid-year top ten), and because I haven't actually solidified a top ten list yet, my vague idea of a top ten has between 1-3 albums in common with Thomas: definitely ETID, pretty surely Pinegrove, and maybe PUP.

I enjoyed the episode overall! @Thomas Nassiff, your omnipresence shall be missed! I look forward to the episodes you'll be guesting on.

Thomas Nassiff likes this.
  17. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I completely understand why people are disappointed by the first half of Rogue One, because it really doesn't seem like they knew what movie they were trying to make, or who the primary characters were intended to be (I'd really be curious to see the original cut to see how different it was). But the action of the second half was some of the best I've seen in a movie in a long time, and overall I rather liked it.

I'd add, the meta story behind the Force Awakens makes it so hard to compare the two. There was so much anticipation from fans about whether Episode 7 would redeem the franchise, and it felt so triumphant that it was as great as it was. Now I don't disagree that Force Awakens is better as a whole, but seeing as that movie had reset the bar for expectations, it was always going to be hard for Rogue One to eclipse it. I also completely agree that the story being told was never going to feel as heartwarming, especially with less nostalgia qualities.

As for the Han Solo movie, 2 years seems like plenty of time to shoot and edit the movie assuming that they have their ducks in a row and are prepared with a clear vision, good writing, etc., then I don't think it's a rush - especially seeing as the more time they sit on footage, the more likely they are to tinker with it ahead of its release.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. bodkins

Trusted

@Thomas Nassiff best of luck on your future endeavors!

@Jason Tate You mentioned not really digging Vader's castle (I think, it's been a few days since I listened). Does it being confirmed to have been on Mustafar make it more intriguing?

Thomas Nassiff likes this.
  19. Hah, not really ... that was kinda what I thought it was and anything tied to the prequels I kinda don't ever wanna be reminded of ... hah.

20. bodkins

Trusted

Ha yea, I get that. Peaked my interest in the sense of "what does it say about Vader that he chooses to live there".

21. That he didn't have the high ground.

22. bodkins

Trusted

Thomas Nassiff and Jason Tate like this.
  23. Thomas Nassiff

i wrote it down for you Verified

thank you to everyone who said a nice thing about me, i will be on in no time at all to rave about a menzingers album