Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ben Is Back (Peter Hedges, December 7,2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 24, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Directed and written by Peter Hedges (“What’s Eating Gilbert Grape”), the film follows Ben Burns (Hedges), a recovering 19-year-old addict who unexpectedly returns to his mother’s house on Christmas Eve. Ben’s mother, Holly (Roberts), is relieved and welcoming but wary of her son staying clean. Over a turbulent 24 hours, new truths are revealed, and Holly is tested as she does everything in her power to keep him safe.

Courtney B. Vance and Kathryn Newton also star.

2. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

very on board for this

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

This was absurd.

5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

What do you mean?

6. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

The writing, jolting tonal shift, some of the depictions of addicts/addiction, etc.

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Hmm just watched this. It was...weird I guess. I don’t think it really knew what it wanted to be. I thought Julia Roberts and Lucas Hedges were pretty good though. The first half of this I thought was great. The second half is real dumb.

8. @@ron

Regular

My wife and I really liked it

9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Just watched Beautiful Boy the other day. Want to see this now.

10. On Hulu

11. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The first half is decent - nothing amazing, but not bad. The second half takes a hard left turn into crazytown.