Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bemis Family Start Kickstarter • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 4, 2018.

1. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

:thumbdown:

2. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, maybe some more planning was needed on that

3. red8ge

Regular

ok Max time to take the mask off

4. stars143

Trusted

He also lives in a super gentrifying/gentrified part of Charlotte (only know that since he's said it on stage at local shows... not doing too much internet creeping), so he's probably made a ton of $$$ in property appreciation.

5. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Can Marvel give him a raise or something so he can stop doing stuff like this?

6. DrownTheWorkforce

Regular

Yeah, this whole situation is just odd, especially given Bemis/Dupree's history with taking money from fans. Don't know why Max is comparing this to the TDAG lyric booklet, I assume he's only doing it to say "at least we're better than them", which... is an extremely low bar to clear in 2018. Still, there's a difference between mailing a $1-shot in the dark and trusting a person with a historically flaky reputation with hundreds of dollars for a deeply personal gift that might not get delivered. I completely understand why fans are outraged.

7. BradBradley

Regular

I think his reaction to people’s frustration with this Kickstarter in relation to past Song Shop’s/rewards has been interesting. Taking a decent amount of time to release very personal songs that you’re writing for fans? I think that is beyond reasonable; it should be expected by people buying songs from him, though I do understand some concern if someone is still waiting for their song and facing a Kickstarter for four albums worth of projects in addition to the current commitments. I’ve seen some people allude to the songs being poor quality. Well, you’re blindly paying for an artist to create a piece of art, so that is subjective by nature. The skeptic in me says that if you have someone creating 200+ songs in addition to their normal songwriting, your individual song probably isn’t going to have a high likelihood of making the Greatest Hits. However, when he dismisses people’s frustrations with not receiving phone calls after pledging for a tier that included one, he’s the one being unreasonable. If people pay for the ability to interact with an artist, then that is the artist’s obligation after they made the offer and accepted payment. It’d be like someone selling tickets for a meet and greet and then turning everyone away when they show up. There probably isn’t a whole lot you can do about it beyond choosing where to spend your money in the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised if people were frustrated about it and voiced those feelings in the future. Especially if they choose to do so as a caution to others.

This Kickstarter seems like a lot for one, uh... family.
    That reward tier for the guitar that a fan gifted is weak as hell.

ihaveblink likes this.
  8. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i had this same thought. my initial reaction was, "Ace Enders releases an album every time i blink my eyes and he's never started kickstarter or done anything asking for money, weird that a much more popular and well known musician is".

however i think in Max's rambling essay he mentioned something about the money being used to move / buy a new house (or things along those lines).

9. HueyLewis Sep 5, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 5, 2018)
    HueyLewis

Regular

In their defense, they probably need thousands of dollars for stickers and doodles to send to people.

10. isarealboy

As my name on here shows, am/was a huge fan. But narcissism is a disgusting thing, especially when it’s of the “pat myself on the back while wallowing in self pity” variety. Grow the fuck up, Max. And keep your kids out of your money making schemes. Disgusting and exploitative.

11. Audrey Horne

Regular Prestigious

Every couple of years he pulls something like this, whether it be his unnecessary long winded declarations of nothing or shitty, unneeded opinions. I can't believe it's been over a decade and he's still as exhausting and pretentious as he's always been.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  12. AMC

Regular

How the heck you find their houses? Lol

13. stars143

Trusted

I think Sherri posted a link to their listing on her Instagram (and the listing mentions who they are). Property records are public information, so it isn't too difficult..

Brent likes this.
  14. Iamhollywood315

Regular

County tax records.(public information) I use it every day for work haha

Brent and stars143 like this.
  15. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

If they want to promise new Bemis/Perma/Sherri music as a perk of this, that's fine. People have and will pay for that. But ultimately I think positioning their children's music as something that a) the world actually wants to hear and b) something the public should want to pay for is the most absurd part of this for me.

That and where they say they basically want people to pay them to live: "By not relying on Say Anything, Eisley, or anything not directly family-related for our income, we're hoping we can spend more time together and growing as people instead of being stuck in the past."

Omni, DrAlanGrant, angrycandy and 3 others like this.
  16. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Yeah this definitely itrly reads like them trying to have fans pay for them to move, buy a new house, etc. without giving much incentive and the incentives they do give are super odd.

17. BradBradley

Regular

I missed that quote when I was reading through everything. So, what are they planning to rely on for their source of income? I don’t ask that to be snarky; I’m genuinely curious. I know Max has been working with Marvel, but I don’t know what else he and Sherri do/plan to do that is “directly family-related.”

18. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Kickstarter, baby.

Borat likes this.
  19. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

this reddit comment really puts this in perspective. it is insane and way too much on top of the other things max/sherri promised in the past

"The tiers include:
    -up to 50 40 minute therapy sessions with fans
    -12 original lullabys by Sherri
    -up to 500 original short personalized videos
    -up to 100 bachelor parties plans (if anyone actually picks that weird tier)
    -up to 50 30 minute interviews with Sherri
    -up to 250 original tattoo designs
    -up to 150 original drawings every month for a full year needing to be shipped off across the world
    -up to 100 original songs recorded in the style of a band you choose
    -up to 500 guest features on a song
    -up to 20 in-person proposals
    -up to 50 handmade original and personalized children's books
    -up to 4 original short stories
    -up to 4 wedding's they will perform at and help you plan
    -and finally, maybe a personal concert from Max if someone is crazy enough to give 10,000"

this is only IF everything is claimed, but a fraction of that is still an insane amount of work.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

the whole thing is just a massive clusterfuck. I love them both and wish them nothing but the best in life but trying to have your fans bankroll your lifestyle is lame at best. I know they get mad any time anyone questions their motives but when you do something like this and you’re a public figure, it comes with the territory and should be expected imo. I almost feel like they fuel each other’s (bad) ideas and make the other think it’s way better an idea than it actually is. guess we’ll see how everything shakes out but they won’t be getting a dime from me for any of this

Omni likes this.
  21. ihaveblink

Regular

Those are probably not going to get filled by the time they reach their goal right? Maybe that how they thought it would work anyway, they will have reached the goal before all these tiers fill up.

Also, is this really that different than working a normal 40hr a week job for both of them? Heck I work roughly 2000 hours a year and probably will only make a fraction of what they're making. A lot of these they don't even have to leave their home to do.

22. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

On top of him complaining that people were complaining about the Song Shop taking too long.

23. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

uhhhh missed this one when i read through it. that is...unethical, if not illegal.

24. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

the proposal thing is absurd to me

I might be the only one but it’s just mad weird imo

25. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

probably not but if they're gonna offer these tiers they should plan on the event they eventually have to fulfill them. like if the "up to 50 40 minute therapy sessions with fans" (which i think is stupid irresponsible to give life advice when you're not certified but at least there's a disclaimer?) gets fulfilled that's like a week of sessions on top of their family and personal life. it's just so wild. lol