Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bemis Family Start Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Max and Sherri Bemis have started a Kickstarter to release four albums:

This isn’t just about one album even in the literal sense. We want to give the world FOUR albums and stream them for free regardless of who backs this Kickstarter. One full length LP, two e.ps and one of indeterminate length. All created by the Bemis family. So that would be the Perma album, the first solo Sherri Dupree-Bemis album, my first solo album (the first release by me since Say Anything recently stopped), and the first release by our girls’ indie rock project, which they’ve titled FLOWER PETAL FLOWER ROSE.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  2. tobytobes

Regular

So I'm horrible with figuring out Kickstarter pricing plans and what they give out.

Is there a certain bundle (bundle level) that gets you all the music they're planning on doing for this? It's the only part I'm super interested in, and I can't tell which level gets you all of it. Whether it's digital, physical, etc.

3. Piercalicious

Regular

Third sentence of the release makes it sound like they'll be available for anyone for free regardless of backing.

4. tobytobes

Regular

So I just re-read the whole thing again, and you're right, it does seem like the albums are free no matter what.

Do you take most of the rewards then as "Hey, just throw us some cash and we'll give you some random items for fun"?

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  5. red8ge

Regular

some of these rewards are ridiculous lol

Brent likes this.
  6. Dog Fish

Mutt

/r/sayanything doesn't seem to be too happy about some of these rewards/starting another kickstarter before Max's other promises are fulfilled.

7. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Haarrrrrrrrd pass. Dudes kickstarter history is already sketchy.

palebluedot likes this.
  8. jorbjorb

7 rings

Well it's going to cost them $200 to throw four records on Spotify.

So they need $111,258 to record four albums?

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  9. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

wtf?

Pledge $5,000 or more
    Signed Sun Studio Guitar and Video
    During an amazing show in Dallas, Max was gifted with a guitar by a kind fan.

The guitar was supposedly retrieved from Nashville's historic Sun Studio from a relative who used to clean the place. It's been a mainstay of the Bemis household for years and has had many-an-angsty-song written on it. Considering Max's obsession with Johnny Cash, it will come as no surprise that this is a special guitar to him whether its history is accurate or if that dude was basically a sick sadist messing with a naive and sincere emo boy who projects himself onto a dead country singer more than he should.

Max will sign and send you the guitar itself as well as film an individualized 30 minute acoustic set played on it. You'll receive the pretty lookin' video of the set, which will be recorded somewhere in Tyler, Texas, via email.

Larry David and BradBradley like this.
  10. GageStillAlive

Still Alive Supply Co. Supporter

Those rewards are weird. Have a Perma wedding for 10K and you have to pay for their travel and hotel?

Larry David, Brent and red8ge like this.
  11. red8ge

Regular

have been having a laugh in my group chat today about what the minimum accommodations they would demand are

Brent likes this.
  12. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

what else has he done on Kickstarter?

13. eboo

it's so poorly written are the four albums - the Perma album, the first solo Sherri Dupree-Bemis album, my first solo album (the first release by me since Say Anything recently stopped), and the first release by our girls’ indie rock project, which they’ve titled FLOWER PETAL FLOWER ROSE?

Also I thought he was quitting music? Also having a reward on kickstarter of songs that people paid you personalize is kind of lame in my books.

Dog Fish likes this.
  14. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Based on reddit his fans do not like him lol that sub is LIT UP about this, and there are some problematic portions that I hadn’t really thought about until reading peoples’ thought a there.

15. red8ge

Regular

yeah, took me a second to realize he's selling a guitar someone gave him as a gift for $5000

Brent likes this.
  16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Did he ever get caught up on that backlog of song shop songs?

Brent likes this.
  17. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

30 bucks for a used ecig is a steal!!

angrycandy and Brent like this.
  18. chilllll

Regular

lol re-gifting game strong

Brent likes this.
  19. seimagery Sep 4, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 4, 2018)
    seimagery

instagram.com/thekissingglow/

This is a little weird. I hope the people who donate are satisfied with what they receive, but reselling a guitar that a fan gave you and offering your children to be flower girls in your very own wedding is strange.

angrycandy and Brent like this.
  20. HueyLewis

Regular

I see Sherri is still terrible at kickstarting.

21. Dog Fish

Mutt

We need to start a kickstarter to buy the guitar back for the fan.

angrycandy, BradBradley, Arry and 5 others like this.
  22. Dog Fish

Mutt

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  23. Eclipse

Regular

I mean its pretty valid for people to be concerned over lack of communication of a product they bought months ago, selling your kids drawings or having them be flower girls, and regifting something special and as someone who ended up in a lot of debt as a result of a bipolar breakdown myself that twitlong sucks

24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah fuck this

Brent and popdisaster00 like this.
  25. okayibelieveyou

Tam Rogic CSC Prestigious

Reading through the reddit sub on this reminded me of the $100k tour bus fiasco with Eisley. Ridiculous.

There's some real awful tiers of this kickstarter.

Arry and Brent like this.