Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Behind the Scenes of the MTV News

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Jordan Sargent, writing at Spin, with a detailed look at the what happened over at MTV News:

It was a fairly gentle critique of a band who, pretty much anyone would agree, is no longer putting out its best music. Still, the article became an immediate source of trouble for MTV and it was quietly deleted after the band raised concerns with executives at the network. […] Hopper called a staff meeting two days later to discuss the situation. According to an ex-staff member who attended the meeting, Hopper explained that the band became aware of the article and threatened to remove itself from the MTV Europe Music Awards.

And:

Conversations between senior staff and artist representatives on the topic of what would be accepted on the site happened with some regularity. On July 5, 2016, Hopper told the staff that MTV was attempting to book DJ Khaled for various unknown projects, telling the staff that they might have to “nix” any writing on the producer “unless it’s like, KHALED IS GREAT.” Elsewhere, interference from artist reps was so pervasive that some MTV News editors spent part of this past New Year’s Eve haggling line-by-line with a chart-topping, platinum-selling, Grammy-winning female pop star’s publicist over a post in which MTV’s editors eventually agreed to cut one sentence.

What a complete shit-show.

2. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

God, imagine being upset that a band who was panned by a review might not play your award show. Like, if the music wasn't that good, why not just let them not play the award show?

3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Finished reading the entire article and this is ridiculous, on both sides. MTV for backing off of what their writers are writing, and the artists for being that offended by any slightly negative take.

Places like MTV News, Pitchfork, Chorus, etc. need to be looked at as a bunch of writers using a platform. If Jason says "The Menzingers album is the greatest album of this decade" I don't walk around thinking "I can't believe everyone at Chorus.fm thinks that!" Homogenized opinion in a review source is awful, it's good for writers to have different opinions on the same thing, and it's good for artists to recognize that it may be the case.

4. Entitlement Culture :/

5. Loki

God of mischief

I work for a Fortune 100, and I can tell you this kind of thing happens ALL the time...

6. red8ge

Regular

pretty typical lol

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Was thinking about this today. This is basically what happens now that the media isn't the gatekeeper any more.

20 years ago, bands couldn't say no to MTV. Now, if they don't like MTV and it's not playing ball (aka saying they're great), they can just say no to interviews and answer questions on Twitter or something or stream one of their performances instead of going to the VMAs. They don't have to worry about MTV not playing their videos since they don't play videos or give them attention on the MTV News site, since they will anyway.

It does suck and sad to see MTV News bent their knee so hard, especially to a basically irrelevant band like Kings of Leon. Also sad to see Chance is too thin-skinned to take a little criticism.

8. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Soooo what artists are they alluding to here. I was thinking Fall Out Boy & Mariah Carey but I'm likely way off.

David Parke likes this.
  9. I dunno much about FOB's team but would they really care that much about how they're portrayed in the press - especially at MTV? Were they scheduled to play that show, too? I wanted to think blink but even their team I doubt would be that petty and I am confident they weren't scheduled to play that show. Green Day? Maybe...

10. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

It says in the article who they refer to.

Also shit-show is about the best way to describe this whole mess. Imagine having to work in an environment like that. A writer is inherently creative and free-thinking, and to be blocked from being able to say what you want to say is disheartening to say the least. It seems like the majority of them are better off now though.

Zilla likes this.
  11. Missed the link. Couldn’t care less about KoL.

Serenity Now likes this.
  12. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

I used to love watching MTV for 120 minutes to discover new bands back in the day. I think the stuff that went on in this story is absurd but I guess they were doing what they thought they needed to remain relevant. Years ago they could do whatever they wanted because they knew everyone was coming to MTV for music and info.

13. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Guessing U2 or maybe Green Day

14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It's Kings of Leon

Serenity Now likes this.
  15. Iamhollywood315

Regular

what a sad reality this is. Being a journalist and not being able to express your opinion on a bands music. I want to know what entitled shit stain artists think they are immune from a bad review? MTV needs to get a spine and let its writers write what they want and critique and artists music the way they should instead of letting some PR firm call the shots and control their own publicity. MTV is a joke nowadays they have lost sight of themselves and their vision years and years ago.

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

MTV fired pretty much all their best writers, so it's safe to say they're just going to be a PR firm.

fenway89 likes this.
  17. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Totally makes sense that the guys who were afraid of birds shitting on them during an outdoor show - and cancelled their set because of it - are concerned about negative press from MTV.

What absolute d-bags.

underoath and fenway89 like this.
  18. Artists take MTV News seriously?

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

They've interviewed some of the most iconic and important artists, politicians and actors of both past and present generations. So they have or, at least, had some cache in pop culture.

20. Piercalicious

Regular

TIL Chance the Rapper finds artistic criticism offensive

David Parke likes this.
  21. ZeoVGM

Regular

Chance should be embarrassed by this shit.

22. Brenden

Trusted Prestigious

I want to know who the pop star was that they haggled with over what ultimately was one line. Other than that I was glad it actually called out the artists that got content removed.

23. underoath

She broke your throne and she cut your hair...

I was at that show in St. Louis. These guys are the farthest thing from a rock band after pulling out three songs into a set because of it. The reality was they were too drunk and it was too hot.