Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beautiful Boy (Felix Van Groeningen, October 12, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, Apr 27, 2018.

1. you vandal

Regular

I saw this last night and.....it...wasn't that good. Acting and cinematography were pretty excellent. Story just did not grip me. Disappointing.

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

hmmm im checking out reviews so far. it seems a common complaint is the movie is repetitive and frustrating. i dont really expect anyone who hasn't suffered from drug addiction to connect with it or understand that that's what it's really like for us. but im really excited to see this and see how it parallels my own experiences.

3. username

hey you lil piss baby

This fucked me up. I think it’s still (understandably) a bit of a sanitized/digestible take on the subject matter, but it’s extremely moving. I think the complaints about the cyclical nature of the film make sense “cinematically,” but it’s also key to depicting the reality of the characters. Really strong and honest ending.

There’s definitely no shortage of great American/Hollywood dramas this year.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it was weird seeing Holly and Mike yell at each other
    Nick was supposed to be this great writer but he also said Charles Bukowski saved his life so he may be the worst writer and human being
    every time they mentioned that David's kids with Karen were named Jasper and Daisy I wanted to roll my eyes even though they were very cute bbs
    overall I liked how they tied in the mental health aspect to addiction and thought they did a good job showing that David had no idea how to help Nick as much as Nick couldn't help himself, and Timmy and Steve both did a great acting job
    There were definitely some cheesy tropey scenes and some stuff that didn't work dramatically, for instance the titular John Lennon song being used
    they did an incredible job finding an actor who looks like tween TImmy

5. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I thought this was good, but that’s because the subject matter hits home and because the acting / cinematography were fantastical.

Nic and Timmy came out before my screening and said a few words about the movie and i think that played into my feelings about the movie - it was surreal to see Nic doing well in the flesh before watching the truly awful things he went through.

Also this is VERY sad. My whole theater was in tears just about the whole time.

imthesheriff likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

That house was seriously cool. Amy ryan’s LA House was also wicked cool. Kept thinking about that the whole movie.

8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

did anyone else find the music choices in this distracting? there were a couple of songs that took me right out of the moment, particularly when David was doing his research it sounded like a score from a horror movie or something

jkauf likes this.
  9. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Do we know when/if this is getting a wide release?

10. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

It should be expanding this week to a few more cities. Not sure if it’ll ever get a real wide release but it should show in a few screens in each major city, Amazon will want to distribute this wide enough to be considered for awards I think.

11. OotyPa

fall away

This looks great. Def wanna check this out.

12. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Saw a new YouTube ad, “Everywhere November 9th”

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Some odd music choices aside, this was very moving. Chalamet is outstanding/heart-wrenching

Maybevictor likes this.
  14. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Growing up with my older brother struggling with addiction, this fucking wrecked me.

the scene where David confronts Nic about the kids missing $8 was the realist shit, and gave me flashbacks to overhearing the same conversation while pretending to not listen from another room

popdisaster00 likes this.
  15. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

checking this out now

16. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

wasn’t as taken with this as i thought i’d be. kinda disappointed tbh.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was okay

18. mad

I was right. Prestigious

the acting was the best part for me

19. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Thought Chalamet was great. Definitely one of the best young talents working.

Hated how the movie tried to juggle the timelines. Felt like they were clashing with each other and never really worked. The music was also pretty distracting at times. Wish it was better because the book is pretty solid.

20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I liked this a fair amount. The music was definitely different but I think some of the pieces actually worked well. I’ve never known anyone who’s struggled with drug addiction so I couldn’t connect to this on that level, but from an outsider’s perspective it seemed like a fairly realistic portrayal of it. Steve and Timothy were good. I thought Maura Tierney did a great job in her role as well.

21. the rural juror Dec 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I thought this was decent. I’ve been lucky enough to not have firsthand experience with this kind of addiction in my family, but one of my best friend’s older brothers is a severe addict, and a lot of his experiences were mirrored in this movie. It did seem very honestly told and true to life.

22. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Added to Prime. About to watch

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  23. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

This hit way too close to home. I related to Nick too much. Very real at times.

24. This wrecked me

imthesheriff and Maybevictor like this.