Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beastie Boys Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Please stop.

dylan likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

For reference

Maddy likes this.
  3. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

You guys need to chill with all this “cancel culture” talk of the Beasties. There’s no need for it, they weren’t brought up during this generation (thank god) and have already owned all their wrong-doings from the past (look no further than Yauch’s lyrics for “Sure Shot” as an example). Just stop, no one wants to hear it.

That being said, the story rules. I’ve already watched it twice now and both times I had a blast. I grew up with these guys and it’s sad they’re no longer around but for understandable reason. MCA’s death really fucked me up, this story was a long time coming.

chewbacca110 and Maddy like this.
  4. flask

Trusted Supporter

Really enjoyed the movie. Sounds like I need to pick up the book.

5. manoverboard365

Trusted

I think I know exactly what video you're talking about. And honestly when I saw it I couldn't believe that Youtube allows that video to stay up.
    I can't believe they released that as part of some sort of VHS back in the 80s. Like people vetted the footage and were like "this is fine."

Zilla and OhTheWater like this.
  6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It's in the beginning of the video I posted a few posts up.

7. manoverboard365

Trusted

Yep just saw that post now. That was the clip I was referring to. It's part of a larger 20 minute backstage video that's also on youtube. I think it was taken from part of a Beastie Boys Live VHS from that first tour.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah its...rough. Definitely the most damning thing I've seen re: these guys being problematic. I can write off the dumbass lyrics or the ignorant party boy shit as them just playing in to the persona they were attempting to mock at first. That takes it to a whole other level.

9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i enjoyed the documentary and this group

10. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

loved the hell out of the Beastie Boys story

Maddy likes this.
  11. PauLo

43% Burnt

8 years since MCA passed. How has it gone so fast? I remember it happening and breaking down. Haven't had too many artist deaths do that to me. I was having a tough time as it was, but the announcement of his death broke me.

The fact i'll never be able to see them live will forever haunt me.

12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I feel really lucky to have seen them on the "To the 5 Burroughs" tour. Which btw is an underrated record in their catalog. Don't hear people talk about it much when discussing the Beasties (probably because everything else is just so damn good) but I've been blasting it the past few days and it's great.

13. PauLo

43% Burnt

To The 5 Boroughs is definitely an underrated gem. It's proof of how well Beasties adjusted to the times. They didn't try to sound like anyone but themselves, but they always sound fresh. And apart from maybe their debut, it all still sounds like it was released yesterday.

riotspray likes this.
  14. Full Effect Ed

I never saw them live either and true story...their last show ever was Bonnaroo 2009 but the night after that show they were scheduled to play Rams Head Live in Baltimore before Yauch got sick again..

I had a ticket to that show.

15. Full Effect Ed

Horovitz isn’t a fan of that record, he doesn’t like the political aspect to it and says their voices sound like they’re not 100% due to the content. As for me, it’s one of my favorites

16. manoverboard365

Trusted

To The 5 Boroughs definitely has some gems, Check It Out is one of my favorites, but it's probably my least listened to album of theirs.
    Personally I think their most underrated album is Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2.

ChaseTx and phaynes12 like this.
  17. PauLo

43% Burnt

The Bring The Noise video is one of my all time favourites...

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  18. phaynes12

this is canon

19. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'll admit, I've slept on Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2. Will be spinning it sometime this week.

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

Love listening to Too Many Rappers at extremely high volume in my car. That beat is so ridiculous.

ChaseTx and manoverboard365 like this.
  21. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I love Too Many Rappers

I didn't listen to that album until I listened to the audiobook

22. To the 5 is a top 3 Beasties record for me

riotspray likes this.
  23. 1. Paul's Boutique
    2. Ill Communication
    3. To the 5 Boroughs
    4. Hello Nasty
    5. Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2
    6. Check Your Head
    7. Licensed to Ill
    8. The Mix-Up

what a fucking iconic discography

JRGComedy likes this.
  24. dylan May 4, 2020
    (Last edited: May 4, 2020)
    dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

1. Paul's Boutique
    2. Hello Nasty
    3. License to Ill
    4. Ill Communication
    5. Hot Sauce
    6. Check Your Head
    7. 5 Boroughs
    8. The Mix-Up

for me. There's something about Hello Nasty that I just love playing in the first few nice days of spring in the car or on a run.

Drew Beringer and JRGComedy like this.
  25. phaynes12

1. Paul's Boutique
    2. Check Your Head
    3. Licensed to Ill
    4. Ill Communication
    5. Hello Nasty
    6. 5 Boroughs
    7. Hot Sauce
    8. Mix-Up

Drew Beringer likes this.