Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beastie Boys Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Oct 30, 2018.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

had tickets to see the doc in theaters before this all went down, so needless to say, I'm excited for the doc

2. PauLo

43% Burnt

It’s a documentary, what did pitchfork think it was gonna be??

3. As I get older I enjoy these guys more and more. The albums are so unique and diverse. I’ve been listening to them a lot over the past few weeks.

riotspray and ChaseTx like this.
  4. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The doc is basically a TED Talk with the Beasties, but if you're a fan, you'll have a good time with it. If not, it's not going to change anybody's mind. I do think it does a solid job with accountability and them looking back at their problematic past and coming to grips with it.

5. Maddy

Regular

if these guys were around today they’d be cancelled so fast with no chance for the redemption

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ok lol

mike1885 and Maddy like this.
  7. manoverboard365

Trusted

Ehhhh that's kinda a hot take.

8. manoverboard365

Trusted

I LOVED the doc. God it made me so nostalgic for my childhood I almost started tearing up at points. Check Your Head and Ill Communication were so influential on my youth.

Only weird thing for me was the massive time jump they did from Hello Nasty (1999 I think?) to their last show in 2009. They skipped over To The 5 Boroughs and the Mix Up. I'm assuming they actually did talk about them during the show but for the doc they cut it for time.

riotspray, solxace, mike1885 and 3 others like this.
  9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

What a cool and not dumb thing to say.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Ad Rock literally said "sorry we were so misogynistic" , married a feminist icon, and said he believed the victims when they said his dad sexually harassed them, he's a king

riotspray, solxace, mike1885 and 2 others like this.
  11. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

It’s tough to navigate all the Russell Simmons stuff since he’s such a big part of their origins and I was afraid it would just be praise for him. Turns out he’s a sleazy opportunist in every section of his life.

12. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah they weren't too kind to Russell or to Rick Rubin in the book iirc

Zilla likes this.
  13. flask

Trusted Supporter

ive always liked beastie boys but after seeing Money Mark open for Thursday a few years ago and then watching a tour of his studio on youtube ive been obsessed with them.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. phaynes12

yeah this rules

15. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I need to get that book

mike1885 and ChaseTx like this.
  16. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I listened to the audiobook, which was great. Wanna get the physical too though

Zilla likes this.
  17. Maddy

Regular

Sprry you and others disagree And find it dum but in today’s instant news social media obsessed generation it is 100% true. I am not saying they aren’t sincere in their apologies and I love this group and watching them grow and mature and glad to see a new generation can watch this doc and see not only an amazing musical act but it is possible to become a better person and learn from the mistakes of your past

18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

No. They took stock of their behavior, saw what they had become, apologized for it and actively changed it. That’s very different from people who get “canceled” now like Louis CK or Brand New and either fight against or try to dance around it entirely.

19. OhTheWater Apr 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 26, 2020)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There was a reeeeeeeeeeeallllllly bad old video of MCA that I saw on youtube last week that kinda fucked me up. I know he changed the most out of all of them, but the shit was disturbing.

20. Maddy

Regular

My point exactly. If YouTube was around when those actions first occurred the court of public opinion wouldn’t be so kind

21. wow the court of public opinion would...accurately describe their actions and describe how it made them feel

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Zilla like this.
  22. Maddy

Regular

100% and would be justified in doing so....my only point is that in today’s social media age there is no benefit of the doubt in any accusations nor allowance of retribution...and BBoys and their fans are lucky they came up in the late 80s and not in today’s day and age

23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Why bother saying this? They didn’t blow up during a time where we’re more sensitive to the treatment of women and how artists view them. So we’ll never know. If anything, we should use Beastie Boys as an example of how to properly address problematic behavior instead of saying “Oohh, they would totally be canceled.”

Compare that to RHCP and Anthony Keidas, who should face his previous actions, like bragging about having sex with underage girls. But he doesn’t because “getting canceled” is a myth used by angry bros to get mad that artists get called out.

riotspray and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. phaynes12

lol what a dumb fucking website

Maddy likes this.
  25. Maddy

Regular

I totally agree with your first point and they are a great example. I say this bc there are plenty of problematic artists who follow the same path as the Beasties and make a mistake in their youth and realize their error and move past it but due to the rapidity of social media today it won’t happen. So if you are happy for the way the bboys handled their past then other problematic artists should be given the same opportunity to do so.