Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beastie Boys Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by OhTheWater, Oct 30, 2018.

1. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Idk how there wasn’t one yet. Just got the book, hype

2. I didn’t know the book was out yet - I need that!

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I also didn't realize the book was out already.

4. BackwardsWalker

Regular

I just got the book and plan on plowing through it this week. Anyone have any thoughts on it thus far?

Surprised on the lack of Beastie Boys love/talk.

5. I wish I could have seen them live back in the early 90s.

6. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

The book just arrived today for me. I'm looking forward to going through it.

7. Maddy

Regular

Just about finished the book and went to their live and direct show in NYC....such great humble not only musicians but people as a whole....you can tell how much they miss Adam (MCA) and just how wonderful of a person he was as well...strongly recommend to not only read the book but go through their discography again as you do

mike1885 likes this.
  8. Blaine Ryan

5 Boroughs was the album that got me really into the Beasties -- I'd grown up loving their hits, but hearing them tackle such serious issues with such compassion and such class on that album (while losing none of their humor or playfulness) really opened my eyes to what great artists these guys really were (though ultimately I ended up liking a lot of their older albums more).

Definitely need to grab the book soon.

9. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Catching these guys live on the Hello Nasty tour at the Worcester Centrum in 1998 (thank you Setlist.fm) remains one of the musical highlights of my life. Such an amazing show, and I remember the energy and positivity.

kyle likes this.
  10. PauLo

43% Burnt

Was listening to Ill Communication earlier. Hoping to get the book for Christmas. Fingers crossed Santa got my letter.

kyle likes this.
  11. Chickenmcbringinits

i like food

My folks got me the book for xmas, it's fucking thick as hell haha can't wait to get started on it

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Also got it for Christmas

Chickenmcbringinits likes this.
  13. manoverboard365

Trusted

Sorry for the echo, I also got a copy for Christmas. This thing is massive! Hoping to jump into it tonight.

JRGComedy likes this.
  14. Maddy

Regular

Reading this book about their early career they’d probably be “cancelled” by social media following their Licensed to I’ll tour....I don’t think there’s a better example of musicians starting out young and ignorant making mistakes and then owning them and becoming role models for positive change not only for themselves but pretty much globally

15. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

This book is great. I've got about 100 pages left and am enjoying every minute of it.

16. manoverboard365

Trusted

Yeah I'm loving this so far. It's also got me listening to their entire discography recently.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

kyle and ChaseTx like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

kyle, phaynes12, Maddy and 1 other person like this.
  19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ohhhhh yes

20. I’m finally reading the book. I love the layout with pictures and different fonts. So far so good.

JRGComedy likes this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah it rules. I’m about 3/4 done

kyle likes this.
  22. phaynes12

upload_2020-4-22_12-16-44.png

never change, Ad-Rock.

extremely excited for the doc to drop friday

bachna84, ChaseTx, riotspray and 2 others like this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Book was great. Hype for the doc

riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  24. manoverboard365

Trusted

The book was great. I read a bad review on the doc (I think it was Pitchfork?), but still excited for it.

25. phaynes12

yeah, they said it was kinda an information dump and not super revelatory. that’s fine with me. dump the info truck on me, baby.