Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beach Slang Band • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Apr 4, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i saw a tweet that was like "this band is living the goo goo dolls trajectory in warp speed"

2. abear182

Regular

Alex can write some good songs but it seems like he just can't keep the same members in a band for long.

I feel the next album will be make or break.

3. GreatBeardRecs

Vibes Are High Supporter

I like them because theyre catchy as fuck

I admittedly didn't like them the first time I heard em though

saw a live show and everything changed (I think they were touring with MTB)

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i can't think of a band that went from exciting to grating in such short time for me

MacbethSin likes this.
  5. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

What "weird break-up/not really" thing are you referring to?

The appeal of the band (for me, anyway) is that they're just... Fun. They strike a chord with me that most bands fail to hit.

6. their first 2 EPs were awesome, the first album was more of the same, and it was cool. but then the album that followed that one was even more of the same, so it's getting kind of over done at this point, i think. there isn't much diversity in their songs so it got boring pretty fast, although i still would love to see them live.

ECV, Zac Djamoos and alkalinexandy like this.
  7. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

8. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

All fair points. I put it in the category of "It's the same 2-3 songs over and over again, but I fucking love those songs so I'm cool with it." Haha.

That being said? I think the band is probably feeling that way too. I read/heard in a few interviews that the next record is going to pull from some darker, new wave-type influences. Guessing that means more layers to the songs (synths) and the like, which should make things a bit more interesting.

9. that would be cool. i hope they do something at least a little different.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  10. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

sucks that this band has become cool to shit on for social media folks. i didn’t care for Loud Bash much at all, but i lovelovelove the Quiet Slang stuff. really one of my more anticipated releases.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

what I don't get is if this is something they've wanted to do for a while -- and they have flirted with the Quiet Slang thing before, just as an acoustic guitar thing -- why not add this type of variety to their proper LPs? like, the thing that burned people out so quick was def the lack of variety in quick bursts I feel like

bradsonemanband likes this.
  12. jorbjorb

7 rings

The two new singles are great.

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Agreed, I really enjoy AAA.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

they’re both covers though for those unaware

SlappinCups likes this.
  15. jorbjorb

7 rings

[​IMG]

16. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s sad how this band went from the “it” band or “next big band” in punk rock and then just lost steam and lost their popularity. This band sold out a 400 capacity venue in 2015 in Chicago and then when they came back in 2017 they were originally booked at a 700 capacity venue but it was moved to a 300 capacity venue due to low ticket sales and still didn’t sell out. The Quiet Slang tour hit a 165 capacity venue and also didn’t sell out, and they are playing a show here next weekend at a 400 capacity venue and it isn’t sold out.

17. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

I mean, I agree that it's "sad" in that I'm still a pretty big fan of the band and want nothing but the best for them...

But even as a fan, I understand why it happened. Them getting so big so quickly was a fluke. It never should have happened for a whole mess of reasons. The style of music that they play, the band's image or lack thereof, the average age of the people hyping them the most, the content of the lyrics... At their shows in Boston it was usually a fairly older crowd, and it was the type of person who was there for the "nostalgia" vibes the music put off. And that shit wears off quick if your band rolls through town 3-4 times a year.

They've only been a band for five years. In that time they released two EPs, two full-lengths, and an acoustic record. And most of that music was very, very similar sonically and thematically. I get why some people dropped off on that front too.

Sorry if this all sounds cynical, but I think there's at least a bit of truth in all of it. It also doesn't reflect my perspective on the band -- I absolutely love them and I am really looking forward to seeing them again in New Jersey this weekend!

I'm also looking forward to their forthcoming album, which supposedly incorporates a new mess of influences (more new wave/gothy vibes, supposedly) that might get them some traction again if it's done right...

ItsAndrew likes this.
  18. razorburn

Trusted