Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beach Slang - A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings (September 23, 2016) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jul 12, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it's a karaoke version but james's vocals just don't work

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

they just signed pwr bttm thoooo

Nick likes this.
  3. cwhit

Jay Som is really excellent too, she opened up for Mitski and her release is very good

TheBaroness likes this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

id probably like at least some of this if it didnt feel like ive heard all of it before

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I was into this. It seems like they're a bit of a one trick pony, but it's a damn good trick. And a trick not many bands seem to be doing anymore. So I'll definitely take it.

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Oh and anyone who likes this but hasn't heard Superstar Car Wash by the Goo Goo Dolls needs to get their head out of their ass and get on that.

Craig Manning and Zac Djamoos like this.
  7. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Punks in a Disco Bar is one of my favorite Beach Slang tracks, but Atom Bomb realllyyyy didn't do it for me. Curious to see how the whole thing holds up. Is there anything on this record that is "new" for them or is it more of the same?

8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

idk I still haven't listened to the whole album but the hook for Punks in a Disco Bar I remember being weirdly jagged. and not like, cool angular jagged like a posthardcore band might do but like the person playing wasn't sure when to do what.

9. I love the care that the band and Polyvinyl put into the packaging for this record. Just like for The Things We Do, everything is printed on nice, heavy stock and there's a full, LP-size booklet with a page dedicated to each song.

10. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

So in spite of everything I've said previously about not really being interested in this record, after listening to the whole thing it's actually grabbed me more than the first LP - I feel like the songwriting is a lot sharper and more memorable, and it feels like they've really perfected their sound while also offering a few hints about where they'll go next. Time will tell whether it has any lasting value, but right now I'm really enjoying it.

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

curious as to what you're hearing that hints at where they'll go next? all i heard was the exact same thing theyve been doing with nothing new or different or pointing in any other direction than where they're currently at, which is where they've always been. so im just wondering what you're hearing

12. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

I wouldn't say they're making any great leaps at doing anything different per se, but I feel the pop sensibility is a little stronger here at times, the guitars a little more fuzzed but, at the same time, with more intricate melodic leads, a bit more playing around with effects and delay etc. So while they're not out-and-out changing their sound, I do feel they've refined it a bit here.

13. cwhit

i don't think i've seen a band move into dad rock status quicker than this band

EngineDown likes this.
  14. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

i mean weren't they dad rock from the get go?

sorry chris in advance for using the d-word

15. cwhit

eh idk, at first they actually felt like the cool, new, energetic punk band for a while
    idk how but the vibe completely changed around them between the release of the two records

16. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

if anything i feel like the vibe hasn't changed at all and that's part of the problem

17. cwhit

yeah that's probably it, i more of meant the vibe around the band and their fans. the buzz completely stopped in the circles around me but still seems like the whole rolling stones/hyden group latched on even more

EngineDown likes this.
  18. goation

Regular

As someone who hasn't listened to any of their other material, but checked out "Punks in a Disco Bar", I'm a bit disappointed with my first spin. I was hoping for more catchy songs like that, and more vocals like that too. I don't really care for the more straight punk songs like "Art Damage". "Spin The Dial" is probably my second favorite track.