Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beach Slang - A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings (September 23, 2016) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

im not backpedalling i checked his age before i asked him how old he was, i dunno bout you but my memories of being 11 arent about critical response to indie rock albums

EngineDown likes this.
  2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i remember deja entendu response from when i was 11

or at least i think i do

do i?

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  3. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

mandela effect

4. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

I remember listening to Is This It and Turn On The Bright Lights when I was 11, yes

Josh Chavez likes this.
  5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i listened to bad music at the age of 11 so i can't join in here
    actually didn't listen to any music that wasn't on pop radio at that point haha, would have been 2004. what a great year for pop music

6. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

this isnt the same as being in tune with critical and fan response to a record in the mid 90s when internet media wasnt nearly as popular or accessible

7. EngineDown

o k

Josh Chavez likes this.
  8. Josh Chavez

formerly cool

So for being a young music fan and reading music magazines I get shit on? I was playing instruments and going to shows then too - do you want to discuss?

9. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

i am not even remotely shitting on you

10. Calling Pinkerton "an indie album" is just wrong. It was released on Geffen as the heavily-publicized follow up to an album that charted extremely well in '94. It was given a bad review by Rolling Stone in an era where people still really gave a shit what RS said, and it tanked commercially (though that's probably moreso due to a lack of impactful singles). Don't really get how that's a stretch at all. I know a lot of anecdotal "I really liked it when it came out!!!" stories surrounding Pinkerton, but it was so poorly received when it released that Geffen had to re-release the album later with a different single in an attempt to give the album a shot in the arm of sorts.

11. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

If no one bought it it may as well have been an indie album you know what I meant, it's not like it was some superstars second album. seems disingenuous to attribute this idea that everyone hated it while simultaneously claiming no one heard it but also that it influenced a ton of people. Those ideas are contradictory.

Also, a 3/5 star one paragraph review is bad now? Seems mediocre at worst. It also didn't chart in the top 15 on the billboard 200. "Extremely well" seems like more of a stretch than anything I've put forward. Pinkerton only charted three spots lower! A failure, yes, but not a catastrophic one out of the gates.

12. cwhit

13. cwhit

oh cool round three of the american girls and french kisses/ride the wild haze riff similarity

ECV likes this.
  14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Well this is an interesting thread

15. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I remember pop punk kids shitting on Deja Entendu but for the most part critics adored it

16. this new song is cool

17. EngineDown

it sucks

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  18. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

that sure was a beach slang song. it's weird how he seems to have a pretty wide range of influences but only mines the replacements and like one of the most recognizable punk/metal rhythms. which is fine, i wasn't expecting a seismic shift or anything, but it seems early to be so set in your ways. i still like the vibe, getting fatigued by the vibe being the same tho. mixed feelings

EngineDown likes this.
  19. cwhit

just finished listening to this (ended up in my inbox)...well it's a beach slang record, just feels even more watered down. young hearts is probably the most interesting one on here, solid track. penultimate is okay too, the last one is interesting too. but the first seven are just so boring

20. EngineDown

Rock press is still gonna put it on a pedestal though. Hard to imagine this being outside of rolling stone's top ten or so

21. I've had the album for a while (the download was available when I pre-ordered for some reason - they must have fixed it right afterwards) and I've hardly been compelled to come back to it, which is surprising since I'm a pretty enthusiastic fan of everything else, including The Things We Do. The highest points of this album, which for me are "Young Hearts" and the opener, are still really good Beach Slang songs, but they don't excite me the way something like "American Girls and French Kisses" does. I am interested to hear what people think of "Warpaint." To me, it sounds just like the first verse of Jawbreaker's "Save Your Generation," but it never explodes into the awesome chorus I was expecting.

715creeks likes this.
  22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

ah yeah Jawbreaker is the other thing they mine pretty heavily. Thinking about it a little more, I don't think I would mind the sound being the same if maybe the lyrics changed tone a bit. I'm not sure why sometimes bands staying more or less the same bothers me more times than others... this band is pretty consistent in sound and quality, for better or worse. But I think in this case it's more about getting this so soon after the last one which is like hey hi have some b sides. ANYWAY idk feelings getting murkier with the things I hear.

23. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Kinda over this band

24. cwhit

I disagree, hype has been much quieter this time around

25. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Just got a cover story from stereogum yesterday