Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Beach Slang - A Loud Bash of Teenage Feelings (September 23, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Jul 12, 2016.

1. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I love these lyrics lol. They're exactly the kind of thing I love about this band.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  2. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

basically just made my point for me but alright

stillbrazy likes this.
  3. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

For me to continue listening to an artist I really need albums to have sonic progression. So far everything they have released sounds exactly the same which is what's killing me. I loved their first two EP's soooo much, but its all treading the same water at this point.

4. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i mean yeah that's a very valid reason to not like them, wasn't disregarding that response. i just don't consider this the band to look very deeply into, lol. they're fun to enjoy at surface level but that leads for a very short shelf life

EngineDown likes this.
  5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I really like the first two eps I think, lyrics and all. Cheesy sure but they're good fun. They haven't really done anything different or grown I guess since then though and it doesn't make me want to check this out.

6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

The old-school ethos these dudes bring to the table is something I really dig. Pump out a bunch of music in a short amount of time and move on. It isn't hard to read past the song titles what they sing about. I bet that a few years down the road, people will latch onto their 30 or so songs and love them.

Ivan and Josh Chavez like this.
  7. Josh Chavez

formerly cool

Agree completely. I think a lot of the backlash is due to them having so much buzz when they first came out.

It's funny, a band comes out and changes their sound between albums and gets hate for it - or they keep doing what they do well and get hate for it too. You can't win...

bradsonemanband likes this.
  8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I don't really think bands get much hate for changing their sound

Nick likes this.
  9. Josh Chavez

formerly cool

Really?? You don't remember everyone hating Weezer after they released "Pinkerton" - complaining that it wasn't their "Blue Album" sound... Or Yellowcard with "Lights and Sounds"?

10. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Alright, I'll reword, because those are fair points (although I don't think Pinkerton is as good as the blue album tbh) - I don't think that happens much anymore. Bands like Thursday or thrice, for example, changed their sounds drastically and have, if anything, gotten far better reception for the shifts. I think that's happening far less frequently that people are vocal about disliking bands' shifts in sounds

St. Nate likes this.
  11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

If a band just makes good music it doesn't matter if they change their sound or not. People just want bands to make quality music. When that stops, people complain.

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Plus since when is any of it about pleasing fans? Bands should just do what they wanna do. If fans latch on great if not oh well, it's about making art that you're proud of and nothing more. Can't stand when bands deliberately make music trying to please fans. It's almost always obvious when bands aren't pleasing themselves

Nick, EngineDown and Josh Chavez like this.
  13. cherrywaves

Trusted

Folks I'm serious about making a drinking game

Take a shot for every lyric about:

Being young kids
    Feeling alive
    Loud music

Chug when he says the word punk

smoke4thecaper and stillbrazy like this.
  14. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Do you want to die?

15. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

how old were you when pinkerton was released that you "remember" people hating it

16. Josh Chavez

formerly cool

1996 so... 11 when it came out. I also remember skating around with my friends to the album. Any more facts you want to check?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

he got you there ryan

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

#owned #rekt #getowned #getrekt

19. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

so you knew people who liked the album? how does this support that people hated it? or that it was because of a shift in sound and not in lyrical subjects?

20. Josh Chavez

formerly cool

I just remember the reviews that bashed it, me and my friends loved it. Would you like some links to articles? Is there a Pinkerton thread for this?

21. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

i know the mythos about the album, im just curious because i know for instance that jason says he knew people who loved it almost from day one as well. i think the critical consensus that it was horrible maybe gets overstated and conflated with actual fan responses. i dont think an artist who changes their sound is necessarily going to be punished for it by fans - look at kanye, who hasnt keep a sound for more than one album and remains as beloved as ever. its just not an either/or proposition and i think saying that a band loses either way is reductive and kind of insulting to the intelligence of their fans and the band themselves

EngineDown likes this.
  22. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

look at Ryan backpedal in real time

23. cherrywaves

Trusted

Not that I don't agree that many people loved Pinkerton from the jump but wasn't the reception one of the main reasons for Rivers' hibernation at the end of the 90's? Along with school of course

Aaron Mook and Josh Chavez like this.
  24. Josh Chavez

formerly cool

The point that I was making is that, no matter the artist, there seems to be no pleasing everyone.

25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

that's true for everything ever, not just art lol