Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bayside - Vacancy Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, May 29, 2016.

1. iamfirebreather

The revolution was a lie.

I have gone back and forth between Enemy Lines Two Letters and Mary as my favorite on the album and Mary is running away with it.

HANDS DOWN the best Bayside album. I cannot stop listening to it.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  2. pauldunions

Regular Supporter

I can dig It Doesn't Make It True. The rest of the album doesn't do it for me. I haven't liked anything they've done since Shudder

3. partyscene

my holy ghost is hovering over me

Really enjoy this album, I have no expectation for this, so it turns out really surprising. Also I haven't really listened to Bayside since Killing Time, so I think that helps.

It is on my heavy rotation right now.

4. Mclusky30

Maybe, Tennessee is sooooo good.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  5. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Really cool series called "inside the track" on the hopeless youtube. Anthony and Jack breakdown each track and discuss the individual instrumentals and the writing process. Point out some parts in the song you would miss generally

(there is one for every track)

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Only went through a couple times, but I really dig the record. Mary is awesome. I am also more of a casual Bayside listener for context.

7. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Love it

Mclusky30 likes this.
  8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

This is actually surprising me, probably my fav of theirs in a while!

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I can't stop listening to this. Have probably listened straight through at least 20 times by now. Favorites are still It Doesn't Make it True, Two Letters and Not as Depressing but damn, Mary is such a well written song. Not Fair is getting up there as one of my favorites as well.

So good.

10. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Check out the interview with them on the chorus homepage! They imply that they read this thread, haha.

Also, about the setlist situation:

"The setlists are so hard because you get to a point as a band where if you get a certain size, you have those diehard fans who have seen us thirty times, and they want to see us play guardrail, and they want to see us play these deep cuts, but when there’s 2000 people at the show, 75% of them at least want to hear Devotion and Desire and Blame it on Bad Luck and Sick, Sick, Sick. That’s just what happens when you get to that size. So we do struggle a lot, like you would not believe how long the conversations about setlists are between all of us, of trying to give that 75% of people who only know the hits what they came to see, while at the same time keeping those people who are seeing us for the thirtieth time happy. It’s fucking impossible."

slimfenix182 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  11. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

It Doesn't Make It True is becoming my favorite with each listen.

noeljames and SteveLikesMusic like this.
  12. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I really like this record and I can't wait to seem them and the Menzingers tonight!

13. Montauk1222

Trusted Prestigious

Basically what I was saying to my girlfriend, seeing people complaining about their setlist, at this point they are in a no-win situation because they are never going to please everyone. Ive seen them now 16-17 times so I've pretty much heard a great portion of their discography live to where I was hoping to hear more new stuff but knew they had to cater to so many different groups of fans that I just enjoyed what they put out there.

noeljames likes this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I saw them for the 11th time last night and was very pleased with the set. Played Choice Hops which is my all-time favorite Bayside song - and one they normally do not perform live as well as Sinking and Swimming, A Killers cover, Just Enough to Love You and 4 or 5 new songs..so really, half the set was songs I hadn't seen them play live before, which is good enough for me.

The other 10 times, I've seen them play a plethora of deep cuts too. Every band has 6 or 7 staples in their set and Bayside is no different. Not sure why people are all up in arms about it.

15. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I really, really enjoy this album. Mary is definitely my favorite song on the record and one of my favorite Bayside songs period. The piano really adds a lot to it, I wish they used that more.

All in all, its a great addition to a impressively consistent catalog. Much like TBS, I totally get what those of you who dont like this album/band anymore are saying. I totally get the stale criticism. But man, this album and band just does a lot for me and ya cant take that away from me.

Joe, Jake Z, Mclusky30 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Seeing these guys tonight. Stoked.

17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I'm pumped to see these guys and the menzingers tomorrow.

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  18. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Saw the show on Friday. Both bands sounded terrific. Granted, the Bayside set is one big blur, but that's only b/c I was having wayyy too much of a good time haha

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Sweeet. Yeah, I can't wait. This will actually be my first time seeing The Menzingers, so Im mainly going for them. This will be my 10th time seeing Bayside. Win-win situation.

20. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

"Mary" is a gem. Really dig "It Doesn't Make It True" too.

21. Joe Sep 8, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 8, 2016)
    Show last night in LA was awesome. I really dug Sorority Noise. They have a ton of energy, and the lead singer took a moment to talk about depression and mental health, which was appreciated. The Mezingers were good, but their music just didn't resonate with me as much.

Of course, Bayside were great. Slightly disappointed in the lack of "Tortures of the Damned" and Shudder songs, but I loved every song on the setlist so I can't complain too much. They also played a cover of "Mr. Brightside" that was a lot of fun. Spoiler tagged because idk if people prefer not knowing surprises like that.

EDIT: Also! Sorority Noise did a cover of "Good News" by Julien Baker, and it caught me by surprise and was awesome.

22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

They did play What and What Not at my show, which was a first for me after seeing Bayside 11 times. That was a great surprise, to be honest. They also played Choice Hops at my show, which was another first, and my all-time favorite Bayside song.

23. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The show last night was fun. My 10th time seeing Bayside and my 1st seeing The Menzingers. Was a little bummed The Menzingers didn't play Gates, but they made up for it by playing Rodent. Lookers was a lot of fun live too.

24. Ya they played What and What Not at my show as well. I've seen them 4(?) times, and it was the first time seeing that song live. Just wish they could've played 1 or 2 other songs off that record, like Ghost of St. Valentine, I Can't Go On, Demons, or Moceanu. Again, I loved the whole setlist, so I can't complain much!

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  25. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I remember seeing them play Ghost of St. Valentine back when the album came out, but I don't think I ever saw any of the others either. That's probably my favorite Bayside record and it always killed me that they never really supported it that much.

Joe likes this.