Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bayside - Vacancy Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by contra11mundum, May 29, 2016.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

L&S and LaS are both considerably different from other YC, can't say that about any full Bayside album

2. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Shudder is pretty different from all of the other stuff, with the exception of maybe this one. I guess my expectations were low after Cult but this is a pretty solid album

3. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I never quite understood the hate Bayside has gotten due to their consistency. If a band does something well, why not continue to do it? Not every band has to break the mold every record.

Joe4th likes this.
  4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

"Mary" is a cool tune. Def liking this album when I can really listen to it. The lyrics are bittersweet as hell. Def some relatable stuff in there for me, esp "Two Letters."

5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Because once they get to a certain point they start to have diminishing returns with a lot of people and, imo, each new album is just a weaker version of what they've done in the past

6. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

My opinion is that they should have gone a different direction after Killing Time. That album was the Bayside sound done near perfectly, and when you've mastered one thing it's time to do something else.

Instead, they released two more albums that sound almost exactly the same but aren't nearly as good.

earthlight and cubsml34 like this.
  7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Eh, I disagree. I like all their albums pretty much the same with the exception of Self-Titled and Walking Wounded being better than the rest. But I really have no issues with Killing Time or Cult. Cult has 6 or 7 songs on there that are just as good as any other Bayside songs on their other albums, imo.

Joe4th and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  8. Aside from the normal "this just sounds like every Bayside album", I've never really gotten the general distaste for Cult. I think the album did a great job of fully encompassing their entire career, each song reminds me of other Bayside albums for different reasons, and they still managed to add in some new flavor. I think the lyrics department fell a little bit on it, but all in all if I were to recommend one album for anyone to get get into the band, it'd be Cult, no question. That said, my favorite is the s/t.

Excited to hear this later

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  9. @FTank It's interesting to read your thoughts on Bayside considering your feelings towards Southern Air. My biggest gripe with that record is that it just sounded like the band on autopilot, no better or worse than they had been for multiple albums a row. Totally get if the album resonates with you for other reasons, but do you maintain the same criticism there, or not really?

10. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

But L&S is kind of bad and LaS isn't really that different imo. Just some tracks here and there that try something a little different. Much like Bayside

Joe4th likes this.
  11. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't see that as the same situation. Southern Air to me is a much better version of WYTTSY and is quite different from Paper Walls. If I'd give any Yellowcard album that criticism, it'd be WYTTSY which I'm not a huge fan of basically for that reason, but I also think YC is a much better band than Bayside.

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm just gonna have to disagree then, because I think LaS was a pretty large departure while just about any Bayside track could fit on any Bayside album.

13. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I like it. It's definitely a Bayside album, but most songs evolve the typical Bayside sound in ways that I like.

14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I don't get the dislike for Cult, I kind of fell off with this band after neither Killing Time nor Shudder did anything for me, but that album brought me right back in.

I've only listened to this new one once, but I like it so far. The first half, especially I really enjoyed.

15. CoffeeEyes17

Fair enough my friend

16. stuckinvhs

Social Justice Wizard Prestigious

I like it. Definitely need to spend more time with it but I think it's different enough for its own merit. It's better to listen to a new Bayside record as it's own than compare it to Killing Time.

17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

they stopped doing it well and became a carbon copy of themselves. thats not doing it well in my eyes

JimmyIymmiJ and FTank like this.
  18. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Oof, maybe I just wasnt in the mood for it , but this was so painfully boring on first listen. Seemed like Anthony brought solid lyrics to the table but the band just phoned it in.

FTank likes this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Album is awesome. Got better after a few listens. Lyrics are good and musicianship is on.freaking.point.

Ghost is still a favorite, but Mary and Not Fair grew on me big time.

Mary could totally be a Menzingers song.

smoke4thecaper and Joe4th like this.
  20. Some really great bass licks on this thing, some of my favorite in their discography

Other than that I don't see myself coming back to this much

21. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

So strongly agree with this.

FTank likes this.
  22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Maybe it's a matter of seeing them live so many times (around 20~), but I'm more hung up on the fact that they don't mix up their setlists. About to release their seventh album and the setlist has barely changed in five years...

23. CoffeeEyes17

Easily my biggest critique of the band. They never change their set list up. Huge bummer

trevorshmevor likes this.
  24. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.