Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bayside – “Enemy Lines” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 12, 2016.

1. It's not really a complaint, more just a funny thing I've noticed, but the end to his interviews are always SO awkward. It's like he doesn't know to end a phone call haha. It's always some weird drawn out exchange of valedictions.
    - "alright see ya"
    - "yeah man good talking to ya"
    - "yep yeah bye"
    - "yep"
    - "see ya"
    - "okay see ya"

contra11mundum, FTank and js977 like this.
  2. iamfirebreather

The revolution was a lie.

The song sounds like a mix between material from Shudder and Cult. Digging it.

Brent and ilikedesigning like this.
  3. Pretty good song but nothing I haven't heard before from them.

Brent likes this.
  4. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I've only listened to the past couple bayside albums one or two times each, but this song did stand out to me a bit.
    Also, since Shane has been discussed heavily in this thread I think it's worth remembering how awesome Anthony's cameo was on Silverstein's song "Texas Mickey."

5. I dig this song. New Bayside will be good as always but especially given the subject matter he is tackling on this record (ref: Lead Singer Syndrome podcast)

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. GhostOverground

Surprised to see the dislike for Lead Singer Syndrome. That interview got me stoked for this Bayside album. Generally really love Shane's pod. He seems to have actual rapport with the guests, and as a Silverstein fan I enjoy learning more about his band and experiences along the way. Of all the interviews that preceeded Underoath's Rebirth, his with Aaron and Spencer were the best.

Penguin and Colby Searcy like this.
  7. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Seems like it could be like Killing Time sorta. That record is definitely alot about his first divorce and ex-wife.

8. Yeah although I'm sure he might have a different perspective this go since they have a child together and whatnot.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  9. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

I love that album art.

Brandon Allin likes this.
  10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

He's currently not married at all?

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. GetUpAndrew

Constant horror and bone-deep dissatisfaction.

I'm hearing Shudder and The Walking Wounded vibes all over the song. Great tune, looking forward to Vacancy.

Brandon Allin likes this.
  12. Colby Searcy

Nope, he talks about it on Lead Singer Syndrome. This was news to me as well.

13. I don't know if they got married but they aren't together anymore. He talked about it on Shane's podcast

14. sounds like a bayside thus i like it - will never get sick of Anthony's vocal delivery

Jake Z, slimfenix182, Jose and 3 others like this.
  15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Funny you mention that because when Anthony was spilling his guts about getting divorced and living in a shitty apartment not knowing anyone in Nashville while raising his daughter, Shane was like 'oh, I haven't told anyone this but I'm goin through a break up as well' and I'm thinkin: dude, your guest is telling you some real personal shit he's goin through on YOUR show and you immediately spin it into your situation. And Anthony's situation is way worse than Shane's because there is a kid involved and legal papers. The end of podcast turned into Anthony consoling Shane when it should have totally been the other way around.

smoke4thecaper and trevorshmevor like this.
  16. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Ever since I heard Anthony on Lead Singer Syndrome I keep hearing Bayside as showtunes. It's funny how well it fits.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Haha yeah I thought the same thing. I would normally be able to write that off as Shane just trying to relate, or let Anthony know that he had someone to talk to about everything that might kind of understand... but given all of the other times he's made similar moves, it really did just come off as another attempt to squeeze his way into the cracks of someone else's story.

18. Colby Searcy

Idk is that the point of most conversations, try to relate your situation with whoever you're speaking to?

19. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

It's different when you're a host or conducting an interview, but that isn't what Shane does or what he's trained at. He's doing this on his own time for our benefit, and while I definitely think he needs to reduce his interjections (something I myself can be guilty of at times when I'm having a beer w/ a friend), he's basically talking to his buddies and it's easy to get lost in that and forget you're more or less broadcasting a conversation between friends as an informal interview.

I only listen to sporadic episodes b/c I don't like a lot of the bands he brings on, but it's still a very cool podcast idea and Shane is friends w/ a good amount of very popular acts, which is cool. He is clearly excited about the show and his enthusiasm shows, so good on him. I'm a big fan of Chris Shiflett and Damien Abraham's podcasts that are similar but a bit more expansive and diverse with their guests (IMO).

Penguin likes this.
  20. trevorshmevor May 13, 2016
    (Last edited: May 13, 2016)
    When the other party is asking you to, sure. Otherwise, no. If you're having a conversation (or in this case, essentially a formal interview) with somebody, you should be fully engaged and listening. You can't give someone your full attention when a you're constantly thinking about how your life can relate to their situation. That's like Conducting Interviews 101 haha.

Plus the way Shane goes about it always just come off as such a "one up" attempt

FTank likes this.
  21. Brandon Allin

Finest Quality Crappy Punk Rock Since '92 Prestigious

Well said. Not to do exactly what we're critiquing Shane for doing with this post, but I've done 100+ interviews with bands in my life and I absolutely refuse to project my own experiences or tell my own stories while doing so unless asked to. Everyone has their own style, and that's fine, but it's something I couldn't ever do uninvited. It feels slimy, in a way.

FTank likes this.
  22. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

this. Dug the song but knew exactly what it would sound like before I even clicked the play button.

23. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

This made me laugh! I thought I was the only one who picked up on that. I think Shane would laugh if someone compiled all of these and sent it to him.

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I guess the point I was trying to make is there is no relating to that. At least not from Shane's POV.

Getting married, moving to a city half way across the country where you know no one, have a baby then separate and you're in a city by yourself that you don't know anyone and only see your daughter once every few weeks? That's tough man. That's not just 'going through a break-up' as Shane responded with.

25. I mean to be fair, none of us know the circumstances surrounding Shane's current personal life. He could have it very rough also, and being in a long term relationship myself, I genuinely do hope he is doing okay. But regardless, it was a weird move to make. Whatever though, it was really a very small footnote in an otherwise rather large overarching theme of narcissism. Don't want anyone to be under the impression that this one example is the foundation of the argument haha