Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bayside’s ‘Vacancy’ Gets Apple Music Pre-Release • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 11, 2016.

1. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Why would a band 'hang it up soon' when they are having the best mainstream success of their career? And despite what you think a LOT of people still enjoy their albums?

2. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Cult had a lot of great songs. The album is definitely a grower for those that stuck with it. Stuttering, Bear With Me, Hate Me, The Whitest Lie, Transitive Property, Pigsty and Objectivist on Fire are as good as any other material on any of their other albums.

ilikedesigning likes this.
  3. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Bayside isn't going anywhere. I highly highly recommend checking out Anthony's interview on the Lead Singer Syndrome podcast. Gives great insight into ant's headspace while writing, and what bayside is looking for at this point of their career

4. RiseAgainst379

Regular

It's funny you say that. Almost every fan I've talked to has a different favorite bayside album.

Unless we're talking about "best" vs "favorite," in which case you're probably right that it's TWW. Though that conversation quickly gets murky because of subjectivity.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Dude, it's a hunch. I know a lot of people still enjoy their music. But I see a band that has been around for 16+ years in decline.

FTank likes this.
  6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Just because you personally think a band is in its 'decline' doesn't mean they are going to 'hang it up soon.' It'd be pretty ignorant for me to go around saying a bunch of bands or artists are going to retire soon just because I don't think they're making music that I enjoy anymore.

7. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

I really like this. I used to be a pretty huge Bayside fan, but Killing Time and Cult were both pretty forgettable to me, but this is the freshest they've sounded in years.

8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I don't know where to rate this album yet but for me it's;

TWW > S/T > Acoustic > Killing Time > Sirens > Cult > Shudder

9. RiseAgainst379

Regular

Album ranking for Bayside is hard for me, because they're seriously one of the most consistent bands out there, but mine would probably look something like:

S/T > SIrens > TWW > Killing Time = Shudder > Acoustic > Cult

10. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I've always thought Bayside is good, but they've always played it safe. They'll never release an album that will be the best of the year, but I know what I'm getting and I'm okay with that.

For me, Bayside's best album is The Walking Wounded.

11. euphguapo

I think this is the freshest their sound has been since Shudder. This will probably end up in their top 3 albums for me. I love it!

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  12. GraveDigger

Trusted Prestigious

Spent all afternoon with this album and I absolutely love it. Definitely their heaviest lyrically since The Walking Wounded and a lot more morbid than the last couple of albums. "Mary" and "I've Been Dead All Day" are my favorites so far.

13. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

I'll quote this again in about a year.

14. Jake Z

Regular

There always has to be that one person who, despite actual facts, thinks his opinion trumps everything else. Seriously, they have released ONE album that he didn't like as much, since he admitted Killing Time was their peak. Very weird take to have, but hey, that is his opinion.

15. bmir14

Trusted Supporter

Update: I don't like their new one either.

But seeing as though as i'm ruffling everyone's feathers with my harmless prediction of this being their last album, I'm going to retract that statement. Bayside will be together forever, making music well into the 2080s. In fact, our grandchildren's first (and last) concert will be Bayside. By then, cities will be building new arenas to comfortably house all their fans. They will be MASSIVE, and you will be able to see them from space. Astronauts will be delivered a live feed to Bayside concerts, because by then these events will be in the same company as Presidential addresses. But they will only need an audio feed, since the jumbotron in these new arenas will be large enough for astronauts to sit back and watch Anthony rock out.

That's not all, though. Their discography will be quite large by then, making the concert last several days. And since Bayside, like a fine wine, will continue to get better with age, fans will demand they play every song they've ever created. Tickets will cost $4,650, and they'll be worth every penny.

That's my NEW prediction.

16. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Need to listen to this. Killing Time was incredible, but Cult was pretty dull in places.

17. thefuckoffdept

I've never attempted to learn how apple music works so I'll probably never hear this. But Pretty Vacant is SUCH an amazing track imo and I'm content listening to that over and over til I can get my hands on the whole thing.

18. bloodinthesand

Regular

I never thought I would say this but the album only has a handful of good songs

19. slickdtc

Regular Supporter

This is the reality I want to live in!

Got up at the asscrack of dawn to listen to the new album now that it's on Spotify for us peasants. ;)

This record instantly had my attention with "Two Letters". In fact, probably my favorite track off the record after just a few listen throughs. I actually decided to write down what album each song reminded me of since Bayside is one of those bands that always has their signature sound:
    1. "Two Letters" - I got some self-titled and The Walking Wounded vibes from this one. My two favorite Bayside albums, and my favorite song off this so far. Must listen.
    2. "I've Been Dead All Day" - Very showy and fun, probably closest to material off Shudder. Probably one of the least Bayside-style songs, but a fun departure. I could see this getting radio play.
    3. "Enemy Lines" - I charted this one as close to the sound on Cult with a hint of Shudder.
    4. "Not Fair" - Reminded a lot of the title track from The Walking Wounded. That part where it slows down where it has a circus-like sound did the trick.
    5. "Pretty Vacant" - I think Killing Time is the least Bayside-sounding album (it seemed harder then usual), and this one followed in that style. Really dug it, as Killing Time has really grown on me.
    6. "Rumspringa" - My notes says a cross between Cult and The Walking Wounded with a BOMB guitar solo. Bayside had a couple of these solos on this record, and I loved every second of them.
    7. "Mary" - Lots of piano, a steady drum beat, but with the classic Bayside guitar tones scaled back in the background to let you know this is still the band. I could see this on the radio one day.
    8. "Maybe, Tennessee" - This one was the most eclectic on the record, as I couldn't put my finger on exactly what previous album this sounded like. I said a cross between Killing Time, Sirens & Condolences (quite a feat), and the self-titled.
    9. "The Ghost"
    10. "It Doesn't Make it True"
    11. "It's Not As Depressing As It Sounds" - these three tracks all gave me distinct Shudder vibes. That could spell bad news for some people, but I happen to like Shudder a good bit.

I'm no music expert, just a really big fan of Bayside and seeing as the band has been praised for their consistency across their discography, relating back to what these songs sounded like felt natural. Still a lot of sounds to discover and little things to pick up on. I typically take a good bit to get in to albums, but this one got me right away. Good sign!