Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder, March 25th, 2016) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Haha I can never take IGN scores too seriously. I like to go there for news, but when it comes to their reviews on things, I generally always think the opposite of what they think.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  2. Their review was pretty positive actually. Talked about the shortcomings and some bad parts but by and large had a lot of good things to say about it.

Colby Searcy and Eric Wilson like this.
  3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Pretty much! I tend to agree on indie game reviews with them but everything else it's like "Oh they gave it a 4.3? Yeah I'm gonna enjoy the hell outta that!" Haha

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Absolutely, they're just notorious for being hypercritical about everything. They tend to give Marvel movies 8-10s so a 6.8 is great to me.

5. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Early reviews now that the embargo is lifted definitely seem to be mixed. Hopefully some more positive ones will start flowing soon. Not going to take too much stock until I see it myself, but would love to see some more positive buzz around it. (haha and yes I'm extremely biased when it comes to this, and want it to do really well..)

6. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I thought their reputation (with AAA games at least) was to give undeservedly high scores with more critical written reviews

7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Especially with their game reviews, I'm pretty much the same way, haha. Just seems to be the trend with me anyway.

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

oof those reviews.

DeviantRogue likes this.
  9. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Currently sitting at 41% on RT. Oooph

Seems like most of the criticism is aimed at stuff I already expected to be let down by. Still excited for Bats and WW.

10. There's only been 36 reviews so far, I think it takes more than that for a consensus to build. But I also think RT is pretty useless anyway. I've loved and hated movies in the 60s and 90s on there pretty regularly. The average score does a little better than their percentile ranking, but it's never been a very good barometer for me with movies.

Eric Wilson, Colby Searcy and ChaseTx like this.
  11. DeviantRogue

It's a nice way to gauge general critical reaction but I definitely don't take it as wholesale, a bad or middling aggregate score may temper my expectations of something I was planning on seeing, but won't dissuade me (unless we are talking truly awful scores).

Great tool however for getting me to check out movies I may not have heard of before.

12. Batman-News seemed to like it.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  13. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Critics I like are down on it, but I'm not reading their reviews until I've seen it. Hoping for the best. Keeping expectations a little tempered. Given my relationship with Zack Snyder films I'm expecting gorgeous action and a potentially frustrating narrative experience. Hoping that Superman is great.

I expect Affleck to be great and I hope Eisenberg and Gadot are good too. Will probably see this Thursday at 6, might buy my ticket tonight.

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Went to metacritic and RT and I'm worried now.

15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I can't see this not being enjoyable at least for one watch. I'm not worried.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  16. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Even if they actually meant anything, it's still early.

17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

This is terribly selfish, but I actually partially hope this ends up rotten, just so I don't get a ton of crap for not liking it. (Though if it's poorly received, and then in a terrible twist I end up liking it a lot, that'll suck.)

Peers of mine like giving me crap for my unpopular (within my context) opinions, as if I love not being a fan of Jurassic World and Twenty-One Pilots while defending ASM2 and wanting to see bands my friends don't care about. Who wants that? I know people do, but that's dumb. Bonding over opinions is way better than arguing against them, lol.

I'd also love for Snyder to lose his grip, but I'm not expecting that. Even if further reviews bring this film down instead of up, worst case scenario, it'll become a Transformers-style success. And, there's still a decent chance opinions tilt upward after release.

18. Tim

Also, I'm still mad that the Amazing Spider-Man franchise was viewed as irredeemable for releasing one film received about the same as Man of Steel and now POSSIBLY BvS.

Screw you, Sony.

19. DeviantRogue

AMS2 was really bad, I'd take MoS over that any day of the week.

20. Tim

I'm too tired to debate the ranking of flawed films, lol.

I'll just say that thinking MoS can have a good film universe built off of it, but ASM2 can't and is better off rebooted, is insane.

21. DeviantRogue

More ASM movies means more of the silly parker family mystery.

22. Tim

I mean, I'm pretty sure that was dealt with enough in ASM2. Worst case scenario, it'd play into ASM3 with the Sinister Six, then be dropped. That's not inherently bad.

Plus, they could have tied the Parker's organization to an Agent Venom film series that would be awesome.

23. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

24. DeviantRogue

Batman stuff sounds great, as expected. Gimme forlorn Bats.

25. I truly don't understand going to see a movie you already know you're not going to like and have a huge bias against. But man, I find it truly depressing to see people hope a movie does badly simply because they don't like it or it's not what they want to see or part of their club.

schlotty, Nick, Nathan and 1 other person like this.