Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder, March 25th, 2016) Movie • Page 42

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. drewinseries

Drew

The Martha revelation is fine, the issue is that when Bruce saves Martha he says "I am a friend of your son." That wasn't earned on screen at all. They could have easily shifted in 5-10 minute dialogue between Bruce and Clark. But in all honesty, I thought using Martha to humanize Clark to Bruce was perfect.

Aaron Mook and Davjs like this.
  2. Finally watched this. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be (by comic book movie standards). Only two things really bothered me. One, I don't like seeing a killer Batman unless this is an "alternate universe" type of story. An aversion to killing is too important to the Batman mythos. A Superman quote from Kingdom Come sums it up very well: "More than anyone in the world, when you scratch everything else away from Batman, you're left with someone who doesn't want to see anybody die."

The second thing that bothered me was Lex Luthor. I don't think I have to explain that one.

awakeohsleeper and dhayes like this.
  3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

Batman has killed in almost all of the live action movies. It bugs the shit out of me that filmmakers ignore that part of the mythos. BvS definitely is the most egregious offender of it though

awakeohsleeper and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  4. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

dhayes and Davjs like this.
  5. Yeah, definitely bothered me more in this movie than any other.

dhayes likes this.
  6. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

How and why someone kills can make a big difference. The apathy displayed in movies like BVS is lame. But with that said, that's nowhere near the biggest problem in the movie.

coleslawed and dhayes like this.
  7. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Did you watched the extended cut?

8. Naw, is it better?

9. airik625

Jason Tate likes this.
  10. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

11. Davjs

Trusted

It adds so much context to the characters and stories going on. I actually cared about Clark's sacrifice at the end in the UE because it showed more Clark and his struggle. I cannot fathom why anyone wouldn't like it better, even if you dislike both versions.

12. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

My main problem with the Ultimate Edition is how slow the movie feels. It wasn't exactly the most fast moving film in the first place, but the UE completely kills the pacing. I was just left wondering why this story couldn't have been told in 2 hours instead of 3.

13. Greg

I've still yet to watch the Ultimate edition. 3 hours is a long time to spend on a subpar movie. The original cut didn't really have any pacing haha it was a lot of jumping from scene to scene with very little transition a lot of time. It felt very much like a lot was cut out, which we know is true. I suspected the extra scenes might actually make it flow a little better. Sad if that isn't the case.

14. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Exactly, and I think the UE only exacerbates this even further unfortunately.

15. Greg

That is just sad. You would think having more scenes to help explain things would help. It's sad how much of a mess this was.

16. airik625

The extended scenes do help explain a lot of things. You should watch it and form your own opinions.

17. Greg

I still haven't commented on the ultimate edition really, beyond saying that I find it difficult to want to spend 3 hours on something I found subpar. The theatrical cut was a mess, that's what I meant to refer to. Spending 3 hours watching something that includes that original mess is not on top of my to do list. I'll watch it one day, I did stupidly buy it already.

18. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

It does help to explain things but it doesn't stop the film from slowing down pretty dramatically imo. It's just poor storytelling that they couldn't fit it all into a 2 hour movie and make it flow better. I do enjoy the film for what it is though.

19. Greg

bummer it didn't really help your viewing experience.

20. airik625

You commented on it by saying it's sad that they still couldn't clarify anything even with the extended scenes. I thought the theatrical cut was a mess, too.But I think the extended cut is a lot better and really does a good job helping me understand certain character motivations.

21. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

It actually somehow made it worse lol, when I saw it at the cinema I really really liked it but I've cooled on it since watching the UE. It'd probably just about scrape a 7/10 from me, mainly because I think Ben Affleck is the best on-screen Batman thus far. Basically any movie with a scene as awesome as when Batman beats the shit out of those thugs in the warehouse is guaranteed at least a 7/10 from me, haha.

22. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

maybe this has been discussed already, but I just don't understand why Bruce Wayne would fly to Metropolis to try and do anything about the two aliens fighting their way through the city. what did he think he could do?

23. Greg

I meant for Letterbomb. It's sad it didn't clarify things for him/his experience.

24. Greg

I think it is less about the logic of "what he can do" and more about someone seeing wrong happening and feeling the need to help no matter what, even despite logic and common sense. He sees destruction and is drawn to it. At that moment I don't believe he knows who/what is causing it. Right? I may be wrong about that. But either way, he feels the need to go help. Ultimately because he is a hero and that's what they do. When he runs into the smoke/debris, it is a good character moment. It's all non verbal in that particular moment. But as he runs in as all others run out, it says a lot. One of the few all around good scenes.

TLDR: he's fucking BATMAN haha

25. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I get that. Bruce Wayne really is a hero, but that's not how the public perceives him. It would have made more sense if it was Batman, the hero, heading in there, not Bruce Wayne, the billionaire playboy. maybe Bruce was already on his way to Metropolis when the attack happened, so he embraced his heroic side and just jumped in, but I got the feeling he was headed there because of the crisis.

that's just the only hiccup I came out of the movie with that I had't already seen discussed.