Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Zack Snyder, March 25th, 2016) Movie • Page 38

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 9, 2016.

1. I gave reasons: i thought his acting was good and I thought his Luthor closer represented what it means to be powerful in 2016. What else do you want?

coleslawed, DrAlanGrant and ChaseTx like this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

Just to say it's bad. If they say it's bad loud enough, the directing, acting, cinematography, action, having the best version of Batman/Superman/Perry/Alfred, ect all won't matter. Don't you know we live in a world where everything is either "The best thing ever" or "Absolute garbage"?

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I can't say the best Superman 'cause the writing for him under Snyder's direction is often terrible, but I still think Cavill has it in him to be the best Superman. I know I've said this a LOT, but thank goodness for Geoff Johns. I have high hopes for the next Superman solo film. Hopefully whoever directs it also fixes Lex.

Affleck is easily the best cinematic Batman, though.

Colby Searcy and ChaseTx like this.
  4. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Wow this is the best one in a long time hahaha.

Greg likes this.
  5. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Easily. The only entertaining part of the movie was the Batman warehouse scene. I can't use the word for anything else in the film.

I didn't really have expectations for Lex. What the movie gave us was just not enjoyable on any level for the character. He came across as a child in a lot of ways. That's just not interesting to me.

I would argue the performance is a separate point than the character. It is a defense of Eisenberg, not Lex. His plan was convoluted and didn't really make sense or show how he is superior in someway. A lot was not necessary or just luck.

And thanks! haha

I think like stated above, he played it well as it was written. It was just written incredibly poorly.

Must have missed it. And like above, performance does not defend the character, just the actor. And maybe that's true, but that doesn't really matter. As in, that didn't really add to the character. They simply updated the character and how he might fit in today's context. Sure, they were right. But who cares? It doesn't contribute anything to the movie. Unless I am missing something.

6. Greg

Yea, I think Cavil could be a charming and great Superman. Sadly, all he is given to do is love Lois over anything else in the world and brood when he has to save anyone else than her. Ugh.

It's too early or me to say Affleck is the best cinematic Bats.

7. Greg

yea, they killed it with that one

8. Davjs

Trusted

I loved Sups struggle in MOS and think it's the best that's been seen live action wise so far. BvS was a Batman film featuring Superman so I can't argue there. I hope when he comes back, everyone accepts him so we can move past him questioning himself and the public hating him. To me that would justify his death even though he wasn't in the movie enough to make me feel anything when he died.

As much as I love John's writing, I hope that's all he does. To me this movie could have been near perfect with the script issues fixed. Everyone shits on Snyder but his action and the way he frames shots are almost unbeatable. Also all the small stuff in the movie like having the new batcave, robin's suit being there, the actual costumes for all the heros, ect we only got because he's such a fan and has a great vision. I 100% believe if you had no context of the movie and he read you his idea for BvS, everyone would love it. It just needed someone like Johns to come in and do the dialog/connect all the plot points to where they actually flow.

You didn't think Bruce in the aftermath of Metropolis, The Knightmare sequence, Party scene, Doomsday fight with WW or the actual BvS fight were entertaining?

I thought that too, about him coming across as a child and that's one of the things I loved. You could tell when the senator told declined his request for the kryptonite that he wanted to kill her right then in there, like a child when told no but he kept himself composed. To me little subtleties like that made the character believable for me because he acted them well.

It goes without saying that he'll always go out of his way to save Lois above all else, that's what makes him human and I think we'd all react the same way. There was a short scene of Superman saving people all over the world where there was a voice over of people arguing pro and con superman in today's world. I kind of would have liked to see more of that sprinkled around instead of in a short montage. I feel like it's those scenes that make him more relateable as a character.

Letterbomb31 and Aaron Mook like this.
  9. Greg

1-Eh, opening metropolis was alright. Knightmare was kind of dumb. Party scene? not really. Doomsday fight had a lot of stupid stuff going on with Lois. I liked Wonder Woman in that scene, but the scene itself felt mostly like a generic action scene. Maybe I was too reductive before, but there isn't a lot of pure entertainment in the movie. there are more moments or lines or brief snapshots. The movie is a mess.

I just have no interest in a childish villain. Him keeping composed isn't intriguing to me. Nothing about him was entertaining to me.

My problem isn't that he loves Lois, my problem is that it comes across like that is his ONE and ONLY concern. And the scenes where he saves people have him looking bored and depressed. Their chance to show him being a hero and he looks like he wants to be anywhere else in the world than there. Why in the world would the audience care if this hero dies?

Davjs likes this.
  10. Davjs

Trusted

Well said. I can't argue any of those points, just say that they hit the opposite way for me.

11. Greg

word!:fist:

Davjs likes this.
  12. I love the Knightmare sequence, but the fight scene with Batman taking on all those dudes is probably the weakest action bit of the movie. They wanted to do this epic, wide single-take fight, but it highlights some rough choreography and the fact that even though everybody had a gun, nobody shot at him. You could argue it's not as realistic because it's a dream sequence, but meh.

Lois is Superman's tether to humanity, so of course he values her over everyone else. I would agree that it'd be nice to see him enthusiastic about saving others, but I think his brooding attitude aligns with the constant rejection and criticism he gets from a lot of humanity. We see him evolve past the brooding/self-doubt and become Superman at the end when he decides to sacrifice himself. Also, the funeral/memorial scene at the end of BvS seems to suggest that he's finally accepted as a hero, so hopefully when he comes back he'll be a more hopeful character. Of course, given Snyder's style, I could be totally wrong, but I'm optimistic.

I echo the everyone's enjoyment of Eisenberg as Lex. I thought he was a lot of fun, except for the dumb "tick tick tick" scene at the end. I thought that was too silly.

Aaron Mook and Davjs like this.
  13. Davjs

Trusted

That was def the weakest part of the Knightmare scene, it reminded me a little of the rooftop fight in Dark Knight Rises. Thank goodness parademons come and save the scene! Did you think it was just a dream? I took it as a potential future if Lois dies and Darkseid is able to sway Superman (my explanation for him working with parademons). I think flash is messing with time and it somehow gave Bruce a flash before he pops in and warns him. This scene has to mean something (I truly hope it just wont go unexplained) so I expect in JL or JL2 Lois bites it and Batman has Flash go back in time.

The Ping/tick/ding or whatever Lex was saying at the end would make more sense if they better explained that Lex was communicating with Apokolips and he set them coming to earth in motion.

14. Ya your description makes more sense than just calling it a dream. Batman has no prior knowledge of Darkseid, parademons, etc. so he couldn't just conjure it up in his own dreams out of nowhere. It must be some kind of premonition or vision brought on by Flash's time-traveling.

I understood what Lex was saying was foreshadowing some evil that was to come. I simply just didn't like Eisenberg's delivery. It's a small nitpick, but it just stuck out to me more since it's one of the final scenes of the movie.

15. Davjs

Trusted

Agreed. I was hoping more context to Lex's plan would make it better in the extended cut....but it really didn't.

And I know that whole sequence probably freaked Bruce out, but I would have liked a scene trying to explain it to Alfred or WW. It was sorta set up perfectly at the end when WW asks how Bruce knows they have to assemble everyone but we got the lame "Just a feeling" line.

Joe likes this.
  16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Don't some people think that it might not necessarily be a dream sequence? Like that very well could happen in the future? Also, since he seem to hallucinate that right in the middle of the day and not while he was asleep. More questions than answers really.

17. Ya, I called it a "dream sequence" for simplicity's sake. I don't think it's just a dream. As @Davjs pointed out, it's probably more of a vision of a possible future triggered by The Flash time-traveling.

airik625 and Davjs like this.
  18. drewinseries

Drew

I don't think the Knightmare sequence was a dream. I think Flash visting Bruce bled through some alternative visions of the future. Since Barry came "too soon," the message was completely misunderstood by Bruce.

19. airik625

I like that theory.

drewinseries likes this.
  20. WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?!?!

coleslawed and airik625 like this.
  21. airik625

*as Bruce looks over his shoulder to see if someone else heard the name "Martha" mentioned ha

22. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

It also doesn't help that Barry couldn't have been less clear in what message he was actually trying to convey to Bruce.

23. Davjs

Trusted

What an amazing scene. I wish so much that they kind of had more of a dialog after instead of just a silent understanding that they are both good guys and are cool now. To me, that's what missed the mark, not the fact that Batman is triggered by his parents......you know, the whole reason he is Batman.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  24. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

It's amazing how many people don't seem to understand this.

25. Greg

I think people were bothered at how awful the scene was done, not the motivation for the moment.