Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Barry (HBO) TV Show • Page 28

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Her Skype call with her friend bothered me

2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That’s actually a good point and would really make sense for her character as well.

Also I’m not saying it as if it’s part of why she’s not nice, I just thought it was interesting how the show kind of positioned her as a star among her peers and then this year that image kind of lessened a bit. For me, at least, anyway. I think Sally is a great character and the nuance that the show has given her is commendable.

Mr. Serotonin and Fucking Dustin like this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

What kinda made it make sense to me is the fact that she was competing for/performing in much more high caliber roles than Gene himself and probably is a better actor than him despite the fact that he's teaching the class

Mr. Serotonin, RyanPm40 and Anthony_ like this.
  4. Anthony_

Oh for sure, she’s definitely a better actor than Gene lol Gene is a fraud. But that interpretation adds a whole other shade to her character that sort of recontextualizes a lot of the show.

5. Fucking Dustin

Her getting the agent that's basically a yes-man contributes to that as well. It's all her positioning herself as the alpha in her career, and the only one who really ends up getting in her way at this point is herself (for now, time will tell).

Mr. Serotonin, RyanPm40 and Anthony_ like this.
  6. Fucking Dustin

The fact that we can have these kind of discussions about a character in a show that could be pitched as "he's a hitman but he joins the theater" is amazing

7. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

A class is an opportunity to learn. She is preventing other students from learning and growing when she's already proven herself capable of that role that she's already played a million times.

8. Fucking Dustin

I agree with this but I also think that's on Gene really

Mr. Serotonin, Anthony_ and RyanPm40 like this.
  9. RyanPm40

I do agree with this as well, he should not have caved in to Sally

10. Anthony_

Honestly for me she’s in the most interesting position going into next season from a story/character perspective.

11. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It's both an opportunity to learn and showcase your talents to be seen by an agency. And she's much better than the other actors and she took advantage of the opportunity. Just like an athlete on a team.

12. Fucking Dustin

The theater class aspect is tricky to me. I wanna think about that one more before I comment on it because both of y'all are right about that. She's hindering the development of other students but also she pays to be there and is clearly the best.

Mr. Serotonin and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  13. RyanPm40

But anyways, this is amazing

AWasteOfATime likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

as Bill mentioned in that interview someone posted a few pages back Barry is emotionally stunted so he just treats Sally like a girl he has a crush on and Sally is ,understandably, a bit narcissistic and focused so is mainly focused on her on stuff, but I don't think that's unique

15. Anthony_

Yeah like nobody is saying she’s a bad character or that she SHOULD be nice and deferential or whatever. You CAN’T succeed in her chosen industry by being nice lol, at least not to everyone. She’s ruthless and driven and does what she has to do to get ahead.

16. Anthony_

Barry also definitely has some arrested development when it comes to how he treats women. It wasn’t as bad this season as it was in season 1 but he still often treats his and Sally’s relationship in a not very mature manner.

17. @ me next time u coward

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Clearly this subject triggers something in me and I’m sure I’m pulling tertiary stuff into the show and this discussion, but I just really hate when I feel people are being unfairly judged or maligned for a few decisions, whether or not they’re even bad decisions in the first place.

People I know, especially women, that I sympathize with get labeled as “bad” or even else stuff like “slut” or “bitch” (nobody here is saying those words or using that same mentality, to be clear) and it really pisses me off.

I tend to be more forgiving than most people in my experience, but to see her character go through everything we’ve learned about her and then point at a few decisions we disagree with and say that means she’s a bad person, a term I don’t take lightly, is such a knee jerk and reductive reaction that I just can’t help myself from ranting.

Idk, I’ll try to let this be my last piece on this subject for now. If I came off as a dick I do apologize, it just hits close to home with me, I guess.

That’s what good art does though, right?

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  19. Anthony_

I swear if I could kiss Bill Hader, Alec Berg, and Anthony Carrigan full on the mouth for gifting the world with NoHo Hank I would

20. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

after reading the last few pages, it’s important to highlight that both sides of the argument have finished on a statement that while a person can do unfavorable things that affect other people negatively, it doesn’t mean they’re objectively bad. And i think it’s fine that Sally makes bad decisions. It only makes her human. And especially in Hollywood. But as viewers we do have a right to our own interpretations and those interpretations are affected by each individuals experiences in life. And therefore I choose to dislike her as a person because she did some conniving stuff

21. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

[​IMG]

tfw the last time you checked the thread they were starting to relitigate the Sally debate and now you see the thread is three pages longer

22. Anthony_

I think everyone can objectively agree that NoHo Hank is a super nice guy.

23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

absolutely love that this pops up every two pages

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  24. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

also we can all agree that Yojimbo director Akira Kurosawa is highly prolific

mad, dorfmac, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  25. RyanPm40

I just found out that Anthony Carrigan is related to a guy I used to work with when it dawned on me that they follow each other on Instagram and have the same last name lmao. Small world.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.