Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Barry (HBO) TV Show • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Sally is more consistently mean than consistently nice

But I do think she has the intentions of being a good person

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The bar that people seem to have for what a good person is so insanely high. I must be the least judgmental person ever on here because it baffles me when I see stuff like that, outside of her actions in the finale that I hope she sees were wrong and then does the "right" thing.

3. Fucking Dustin

I feel like she's just SO desperate for success that it outweighs everything else and she also feels so defeated by the industry that it's half "when I do X people will understand" and half her just wanting to get revenge on everyone who hurt her

GrantCloud and Anthony_ like this.
  4. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah she's not necessarily a bad person but she definitely isn't a nice one either

Anthony_ likes this.
  5. Fucking Dustin

You can be a good person and also be unlikeable

Opposite is true too

Anthony_, GrantCloud and RyanPm40 like this.
  6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I know but even with her faults, I never found her bad or unlikable.

7. Fucking Dustin

But you can surely see why any of us would find her unlikeable right?

I read through this thread after finishing the show and saw this argument come up like 5 times with you in the middle each time so I just wanna ask about that part specifically haha

alina, Anthony_ and GrantCloud like this.
  8. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Even with her decisions in the finale, it's becoming clear that I feel more disappointed in those decisions than switched to thinking she's a bad or mean person. Like, are people not allowed to make mistakes? And if so, they're relegated to being a bad or mean person until someone decides they've made up for it?

That's extremely cynical and harsh, imo

9. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I guess I can see how someone can just not like a person like that, but to say that she's a bad person or a mean person, I still can't get that. Those terms are so loaded and overtly negative. I hate the thought that a couple selfish actions could relegate me or someone I care about into 'bad/mean person' territory and it being so simple and because of such inconsequential decisions... I don't know. I can't get on board with that.

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

There's plenty of people I don't like, but I wouldn't say that they're bad or mean people. And they've done or said things way worse than what Sally has.

11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Lol oh this is happening again huh, good thing I can only see one side of it

12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

You're welcome to ignore it. If you don't want to see other peoples' point of views on things, I suggest not joining a discussion forum.

13. Fucking Dustin

I think it's completely valid to think she's a mean person. I think that's human nature to classify in that way. That doesn't mean it's impossible to change but means that there are patterns of behavior that repeatedly come up and are mean forms of behavior. So a couple selfish actions wouldn't relegate you or make someone you care about think you're bad, but if you were consistently selfish in many different situations across the board it may convince people that you're a bad person.

With that said I don't think she's a bad person just because I think she's mean. But yeah it's patterns, not mistakes or lapses but patterns.

GrantCloud and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Okay, and I know this conversation has gone around a few times in this thread, but what all has she done that is mean?

15. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I mean, there was an entire bar scene last season where everyone from her acting class pointed out why she's mean

16. Fucking Dustin

Do you want me to rewatch and compile every mean Sally moment I find? Because I hear a few quotes per episode and watch many actions where I'm just like "that's unbelievably rude".

17. Anthony_

This appears to be what it will take, yes

alina, GrantCloud and Fucking Dustin like this.
  18. Fucking Dustin

Okay I'll keep notes on my rewatch

GrantCloud, RyanPm40 and Anthony_ like this.
  19. Anthony_

Thanks a lot, you’re doing god’s work

GrantCloud and Fucking Dustin like this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I'd have to see that scene in particular again but I don't find her taking a role from someone and being better at it and then chosen by the teacher to perform is at a bad or mean thing. That class is essentially a competition and opportunity to advance in their careers. In any other field like acting, sports, etc... it's just a competition.

Outside of this finale, I don't think I ever thought she did anything close to unbelievably rude. A bit selfish maybe? Sure, but to that level? Not a chance.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  21. Fucking Dustin

I'll bring you notes soon!

22. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Nothing more pathetic than blocking someone on a forum and then openly making fun of them as if it amounts to anything.

23. Anthony_

Something else I realized over the course of this season is that Sally isn’t even that great of an actress. She looks way better in comparison to the other students but like she really isn’t that great.

GrantCloud and RyanPm40 like this.
  24. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Holy shit. "This girl is a big MEANIE! And she's not even a good actress, harrumpphhh!!!"

This is embarrassing.

25. Fucking Dustin

I think she's a good actress that takes a class that's not taking the classes she actually needs because it helps her feel validated to be better than everyone else in the class

Which is fine, idk, I don't think that itself is bad, life is stressful and we all need validation somehow

RyanPm40 likes this.