Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Barry (HBO) TV Show • Page 15

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

She seems like an independent person who goes after what she wants with determination but without hurting others. What’s the problem?

2. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

Without hurting others physically, but emotionally it sure seems like she has. I'd have to go back for certain scenes/quotes.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’d like to know which people she’s emotionally hurt because all I can think of is when she took that role from the other actress, but I mean... that’s part of being an actor. You have to be bold and assertive. I don’t think it’s even a bad thing for a person to do. That’s life.

4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

If an athlete comes to practice and says he’s the best at his position on the team, goes out and proves it, and then gets named the #1 on the depth chart, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Same thing with Sally.

5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

She does hurt others, don't forget how she treated D'Arcy Carden's character when Sally was upset she didn't get the same character pick for a Shakespeare play like she already has many times. She's selfish. The bar-full of people agreed and teamed up on her over that

6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm not arguing any of that at all, haha.

EDIT: Also I haven't seen the latest episode FYI I don't know if that matters. Watching tonight.

7. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I still don’t think what she did was bad in any way. They’re in an acting class to learn and advance their individual careers. They’re literally competing with each other and she’s better and “won” for the time being.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

you can argue against how the characters in the show choose to react to sally and whether it’s right or not, but it’s pretty unarguable that the audience’s reaction to sally is based on the purposeful writing of the show itself.

imthesheriff and I Am Mick like this.
  9. RyanPm40

Idk, to me, a class is for learning. She's impeding on others' opportunities to learn and improve themselves by stealing parts in something that isn't her job

I Am Mick likes this.
  10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I disagree. I don’t think she’s perfect or anything like that, but people disliking her or hating her is so wild to me.

11. Mr. Serotonin

There are a lot of very unattractive character traits, partly due to her career path. It's common for actors to be thought of as manipulative, selfish, controlling, etc. I don't know how you don't see those as character flaws, haha.

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I’ve already stated why and used the comparison to an athlete to further explain it.

If you knew you were the best person at your job and made it a point to have your boss notice and give you the opportunity to prove it, you would. It’s not a bad trait to excel in something when you’re better than others at it.

13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

And just because someone else has their feelings hurt doesn’t mean that somebody did something bad. I would be hurt if I didn’t get a promotion or turned down for a date or whatever, but I wouldn’t think the person deciding is bad or some other guy is a dick for being better than me.

14. Mr. Serotonin

Yeah but you're harping on one particular scene and i'm talking about her entire character's personality, haha. I never even brought up this scene.

GrantCloud and phaynes12 like this.
  15. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

What else has she done then? Because that’s the only scene I can think of that people point her out as doing something bad.

16. RyanPm40

Would you be upset if you were trying really hard to get a promotion to support your family, only to never even be given the chance to prove yourself because someone else keeps preventing you from even having a chance in front of your boss?

17. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It ultimately doesn’t matter and we can agree to disagree, no biggie. I just don’t get it.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

The other actors have their chances every day and aren’t as good as her. That’s life.

19. Mr. Serotonin

I was just blanketly talking about her personality. She's always thinking in terms of herself and it's very off putting. She perks up and becomes endearing (Turns on Actor mode) only when she sees that you can be "useful" to her. That's the off putting part about her to me.

The scene in the second episode where Barry is talking about potential scenes to do and she doesn't listen at all. Just totally ignores him and then starts talking about herself. Then Barry shoots someone almost in her home and she doesn't even know. That was a hilarious depiction of how self absorbed she is :crylaugh:

RyanPm40 likes this.
  20. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It just bugs me that in a show with psychotic murderers around every corner, the nicest person on the show is constantly complained about and called annoying.

21. Mr. Serotonin

Lol that's part of why it's a great show. Barry is a killer but I'm rooting for him. It's complex. It's what made Breaking Bad a great show too. The duality of it all.

Obviously Sally isn't THE WORST person on the show. But in real life, I would not be her friend :crylaugh:

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I think a lot of the complaints about Sally are overblown but calling her the nicest character on the show is a pretty huge stretch

23. Night Channels

Trusted

I thought for sure that

Fuches was going to come out of the bathroom to kill the detective to save Barry. That twist was legitimately a WTF moment for me. Thought it was great...

Hader is absolutely brilliant. The Albert scene is heartbreaking.

chewbacca110 and Vivatoto like this.
  24. Night Channels

Trusted

A ridiculous stretch by all means

The nicest character in the show is obviously NoHo Hank, buddy.

25. currytheword

Trusted

Amazing episode. I'm loving every bit of this show. Sally has her suck ass moments but who doesn't? I think a big moment this season will be that she finds out everything about Barry.

Dinosaurs Dish and Mr. Serotonin like this.