Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Barry (HBO) TV Show • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I mean, it's subjective so nobody is right or wrong, I just would have preferred it not have the comedic element to it. I found it distracting.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's not really supposed to be comedic though. Also, yeah whether the scene worked for you or not is subjective but the point of the scene and what they were going for objectively needed them there doing that.

Night Channels likes this.
  3. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

:thumbup:

Anthony_ likes this.
  4. Anthony_

Lmao

5. RyanPm40 Apr 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2019)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

It definitely seemed to have a comedic element to it, at least the guy pretending to be Barry. But maybe that was just the show's way of saying that guy isn't a very good actor and oversells it heh. The woman was totally fine.

I agree that I found it distracting *the way* that they acted it out, but I also think it's important to see the stark difference between how his memory is vs the way the audience interpreted it.

6. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

So happy to have this back. Might be my favourite show on TV right now.

RyanPm40 and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  7. Anthony_

Right, but, the whole point of having them there was to show how wrong they were in their interpretation of what happened. They were trying to do a bunch of things in that scene, like to illustrate the difference between how people with no concept of war see things and the way things actually we for Barry, and to show that Barry was never really fully able to process his feelings about the first time he killed someone. The devastation on Barry's face as he has to lie and tell everyone that he broke down and cried after he killed those people, when he was really getting hailed as a badass hero, isn't earned without those two acting the scene out. The fact that they're bad actors isn't the point, the point is that they're assuming things went one way (a very unrealistic way, very much informed by Hollywood and the conventions of cinematic storytelling) when they actually went another way.

8. RyanPm40

@Anthony_ yeah I think we're really in agreement on this, that seems to be what I said. Again, the only issue I had with it was that the guy's bad acting was distracting, but I think the scene was still necessary

9. Mr. Serotonin

I'm still staring down the sun Prestigious

I didn't even notice the "bad acting"

Anthony_ likes this.
  10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Maybe I have a fucked up sense of humor, but them misunderstanding and misrepresenting what they heard Barry describing came off as a subtle cynical comment on Hollywood and was intended as a joke.

I don't know, it doesn't really matter in the end but for me, I found it distracting and would have rather just listened to Barry have a monologue with the flashbacks to show that he was lying about how it felt.

11. [​IMG]

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

Just finished episode one. I’m hooked.

13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

What a fantastic premiere. So glad this show is back.

Kuri44, RyanPm40 and jorbjorb like this.
  14. currytheword

Trusted

Hank absolutely stole the premiere, but I think that was the intention. They're setting him up for a bigger role this time around and he's clearly the glue that will prevent Barry from leaving that life behind. I like the lead they got off the tooth, that's paying attention to details and it makes a lot of sense how it played out.

My one small gripe is that Barry seems like the very obvious candidate as to what is going on here, being the new guy and clearly someone showing signs of PTSD after war. But everyone seems to breeze by that, even in the first season.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

'Fucking Cleveland.'

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I wish that would have been the name of the episode.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. jorbjorb

7 rings

On episode 5 and this is by far one of the funniest shows I've seen.

18. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Kind of weird that they dropped the naming convention of all of the episodes after the first season

jorbjorb and Dinosaurs Dish like this.
  19. jorbjorb Apr 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 7, 2019)
    jorbjorb

7 rings

20. RyanPm40

Did tonight's air already? I read that the show is on at 7pm EST on Sundays but it isn't in my HBO app yet

21. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

10 EST

RyanPm40 likes this.
  22. Night Channels

Trusted

This show is incredible.

Ken likes this.
  23. Night Channels

Trusted

Gender liquid

the rural juror likes this.
  24. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

“Now get these dead bodies out of here you fucked up serial killer.”

25. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I think there's a very real possibility Fuches will die this season which I never would have said during the first season. My stomach literally dropped when they revealed he was wearing the wire

There were also some really great jokes this week, I loved Gene not wanting Barry to do anything but the Afghanistan speech but then immediately changing his mind when he says he wants to do it about him