Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Baroness Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Mar 31, 2016.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

DaydreamNation and chewbacca110 like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Kerrang gave this album a 100 on meta lol

3. Argus

Of sugar and ice I am made

A couple of other places did, too. Crazy!

My pre-order is out for delivery. I'm excited to finally be able to give this a listen tonight.

4. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

That guitar solo in broken halo

5. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve never fully listened to Baroness, is the new one a good starting point or should I go chronologically?

6. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

The new album's great, but I'd personally start at Red Album and work your way forward. All of their albums are great in their own right. First & Second are solid works, but a bit tonally different as they're more sludge than the rest of what Baroness has put out.

waking season likes this.
  7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

their discography is honestly stunning. would 100% recommend starting with Red - the progression/growth of the band is one of the best in recent memory.

waking season and Drew Beringer like this.
  8. JM95

Trusted

Wouldn't see a problem starting with the new one to be honest. They're so consistent it doesn't matter too much.

coleslawed and waking season like this.
  9. phaynes12

there’s no problem, it just makes sense and is more enjoyable to track the progression

waking season and JM95 like this.
  10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

On my first listen. The hype for Tourniquet did not disappoint.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  11. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you! Excited to dig in tonight.

phaynes12 likes this.
  12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Forgot this came out, very excited.

13. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Yeahhhhh on first listen this is a super interesting listen and very unpredictable. I think a lot of the experimentation on this is to their benefit. They have the best current metal bassist. Dude's parts are super creative.

14. phaynes12

he’s so fucking good man

chewbacca110 likes this.
  15. atlas

Trusted

Emmet - Radiating Light is a sick O'Brother song in an alternate universe somewhere

coleslawed and Anthony Brooks like this.
  16. waking season

Trusted Prestigious

Whoa ok Isak is sick

Henry, chewbacca110, socklord and 2 others like this.
  17. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I don’t even care that this is an hour long. It flies by

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

the panned guitar on "broken halo," dave you son of a bitch

19. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

after a few listens through its safe to say this album is a monumental statement by the band, more along the longs of yellow & green but still more refined in a way while still pushing their sound all over the fucking place. like how do you even pin down a song like "pale sun"

20. Purple felt like a visceral reaction to the accident - like they were still in "shock" - it's very go-go-go and aggressive. and I think on this record Baizley has processed all the pain emotionally and physically he and his bandmates went through - slowing the album down, all those haunting moments and desperate lyrics.

it's my favorite record of the year so far and it's motivated me to actually finish a review for once lmao

JM95, azzy01, Anthony Brooks and 2 others like this.
  21. atlas

Trusted

I was iffy at first on their decision to put the two slowest songs (+ an interlude) back to back smack in the middle of the album but the more I listen the more I love the pacing of the record

Anthony Brooks and coleslawed like this.
  22. socklord

Trusted

Feel the exact same way. This album reminds me a lot about Yellow & Green but even better

23. DesolateEarth

Birb

Yeah this is great. Not disappointed

24. phaynes12

incredibly dense and challenging record. i don’t think i love it as much as a lot of you and wish i did. the album is bookended by a lot of great bangers. the middle drags for me a lot and isn’t super enjoyable to listen to, yet the songs in the run from throw me an anchor to crooked mile feel the most “important” to the record. weird vibe.

25. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Does the “noise” of the production bother anyone else? I get it’s purposeful but sometimes the ambient white noise-ish sound almost pulls me out of the instruments. I love the album but it does grate my ears a bit in places