Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bands you loved that faded away • Page 36

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bradsonemanband, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

They had an album too. It was good but I preferred the EP. I have also just found out that the singer is now in Oh Wonder OMG

sonder likes this.
  2. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

DerekIsAGooner likes this.
  3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Anyone listen to Affirmative Cameraman?

4. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Thanks for posting this link. I remember Dave's solo songs and then his time with Cute. It would have been interesting if he was able to make a solo record with Kevin from Better Than Ezra. The two songs he played from those sessions had some potential. It was interesting hear him talk about his experience making Rotation with Cute and Feldman.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  5. schackbr

Regular

he plays a couple of really good tunes in this series that i had never heard. says he's planning on doing something with them. we'll see.

the stuff with Drive Thru was insane. they really f***ed him.

6. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Yeah, he really did get a raw deal there. Talk about signing with the wrong label. 2005/2006 is when the label started to have some issues, along with their Rushmore imprint. A lot of those bands had some scene buzz and were never heard from again. I think there were some funding issues and were focused on the few projects doing well. They just wanted to keep Dave and others on the road to stay somewhat relevant. So I think he clearly read that situation wrong, as his lawyer tried to get him to go with FBR instead. I also think DTR, being tied to a major for up-streaming got stuck playing the major label game. They got stuck in having a certain image and having everything sound and look similar. Dave trying do something different and move things forward didn't fit that agenda. I think they knew Dave was talented and didn't want to take a potential "L" if they let him go and make his record with another label. So they did what majors did a lot of back then and just kept him in purgatory, let his buzz fade away, and then let him go. I'd like to think labels and artists can split amicably more often, but that's not always the reality when multiple albums are left on the contract. That's what happens when you corporatize and try to capitalize on music and art. I also think more labels and artists signing their first deal should go for one album deals, with an option for a second album. Labels probably prefer more so they can lock in at a lower rate if they hit.

7. ihaveblink

Regular

Man I miss Dr.Manhattan. They were awesome.

8. New Melillo podcast all about Nocturnal Me. I was looking forward to him getting to that phase of his career because I really enjoyed that band's output. Interesting listen.

9. Peachfuzz

I'll be with you the whole way.

October Fall and Sing It Loud!

10. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Thank you for reminding me sing it loud existed. I only knew one song and I already can’t remember what it was though lol

Edit: a song popped into my head and it was indeed sil. It was the song with Alex gaskarth lol

11. Peachfuzz

oh man, i've spinned their self-titled a hundred times

12. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

Blind of 69 just posted on their facebook page for the first time in 3 years.

13. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

Peace'd Out.

14. Peachfuzz

actually bummed no one ever released Triple Please by BIG IF in better quality (Ryan Key or YC)

Yellowcard2006 likes this.
  15. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Vinnie on Twitter three minutes ago:

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  16. Kingjohn_654

Longtime Sunshine Prestigious

17. TerrancePryor

https://mp3sandnpcs.com/ Prestigious

The Exotic Aquatic

18. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  19. Owlex

free snewt Prestigious

I saw it was touched on in this thread a while ago, but I really miss The Motorcycle Industry. Never made it that long but I always thought they'd be pretty big. I think I found them in one of those "free music friday" things they did on AP. Ahhh, memories

20. highdive

Anyone ever check out The Postelles? I miss them so much.

sonder likes this.
  21. sonder

eat my shorts, jabronis

love it!!! what happened to them?

22. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Whooaoaoaoaoaoaaaaaaa I used to love him and was always bummed that there were so many roadblocks to new music from him. I want to check this podcast out but I'm not sure I can do 6 hours of it.... that's a lot of podcast

JRGComedy likes this.
  23. highdive

I wish I knew. One week they were playing shows, and the next thing I know they were gone. I believe they were supposed to put out an album too. Such a bummer!

sonder likes this.
  24. I haven't listened to any of the episodes besides the "Too Young to Fail" series but they are super interesting if you've followed his career and I really look forward to them. I would definitely suggest checking out the first one and seeing if you want to continue. They go by pretty fast when you take them one at a time.

lostawholeyear and irthesteve like this.
  25. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Wasn't Play Radio Play some sort of band or something?

I remember listening to a lot of bands that just disappeared or something back in the prime Myspace days:

No One Goes Home (I think became Filmspeed, but no idea after that)
    Affirmative Cameraman (Detroit Wolf for a little while?)
    Everdae (became Greene Reveal and I think they did one song last year or something)
    The Great Glass Elevator (absolutely no idea)
    Hello Operator (had one solid EP and vanished?)

And a lot more I just can't think of off the top of my head. I think I deleted my Myspace a long time ago and I super regret it because the history I'd love to go through now...