Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SVXDan83, Mar 20, 2020.
Hey, don't think I'm included in the above list, so here's this.
I spent the last 48 hours recording these 5 covers, which felt particularly resonant right now. Wanted to get it done for Bandcamp Friday so I can donate all the proceeds to bailout funds/organisers - I'll be matching the biggest donation I receive to both funds I've chosen, respectively. We've done pretty well so far! Enjoy if you'd like, wishing everyone love and safety right now.
Death Cab For Cutie and Charly Bliss both have their discographies on Bandcamp, with all of the proceeds going to Campaign Zero and various other BLM organizations.
Last month I got:
- OBROTHER - You & I (vinyl 2nd pressing)
- Diet Cig - Do You Wonder (glow in the dark green)
- Ratboys - Printers Devil (Sandstorm)
- Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud (black)
- The Dirty Nil - Minimum R&B (white)
- The Dirty Nil - Master Volume (Deluxe)
- Longneck - World's Strongest Dog (orange)
- Beach Bunny - Honeymoon (blue)
- Worriers - You or Someone You Know (Silver)
- Macseal - Super Enthusiest (Yellow)
This month I got:
- Geology - Healer (digital)
- Meet Me @ The Altar - discography (digital)
- Yves Tumor - Heave To A Tortured Mind (ltd vinyl)
- mewithoutYou - [A--->B] Live (digital)
- NNAMDI - Brat + DROOL (splatter vinyl bundle)
- Momma - Two of Me (Milky Clear) + Apollo 7"
- Phoebe Bridgers - inner demos (digital)
- Foxing - Nearer My God Remixes (digital)
- Mammoth Piano - EP (digital)
- JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs (digital)
- The Menzingers - America Pt 2 (digital)
I got the Phoebe demos, vinyl by Galcher Lustwerk, Orion Sun, and Jeff Parker, and that Phoebe Bridgers magazine.
They’re doing another impromptu deal on Juneteenth with all their platforms proceeds getting donated to BLM. It’s really inspiring how Bandcamp is literally putting their business on the line to do some good in the world.
I got this great art-rock album Friday by Miserable chillers:
I got this album by Jodi which reminds me of pinegrove:
Excellent singer-songwriter album (RIYL: the Mountain Goats, the National, Death Cab):
Awesome EP I’ve been listening to for running:
This dance-punk record:
this jazz-punk band in Chicago:
This ambient/house track (idk enough about techno to really know what is what, but if you have any recs LMK?):
And lastly Chad from Emperor X’s quarantine EP:
Any suggestions? I’m really trying to find truly independent/DIY releases. Either looking for lyrics-focused music or instrumental/ambient/jazzy stuff. Also, if any of you make music, please feel free to share that with me too and I’ll add it to my list to buy for next time (:
Here’s a few of the most “obscure” albums I can recommend (would link, but I’m on mobile! I’ll try to go back later tonight!):
I really like the first Justin Peter Kinkel-Schuster album, “Constant Stranger”. It’s a Americana, folksy album with a really strong lyrical focus in its songwriting. Check out “Shorthand Mythology”
Sinai vessel’s “Brokenlegged” is really solid. Indie guitar rock in the vein of From Indian lakes or anberlin with rawer production and lyrical themes dealing with faith and growing away from a more fundamental upbringing. Check out “Dogs”
Lastly, maybe Stellar Young’s “Vessels.” It’s an indie pop-rock record with really tight guitar compositions with a lot of more ambient undertones to the record. Maybe a little less lyrically impressive than the other two, but they have a great ear for melody and there are definitely very moving moments to be found. Check out “Helen, I...”.
Hope something here catches your ear!
I love this album! Wish I thought of it on Friday. Def putting it on my list for next time. “Headed South” is one of my favorite songs to play in winter
His old band, Water Liars, recently released an album they recorded a long time ago but didn’t release. Might be worth checking that out, too!
Hey y'all! My bands EP is out today and we're donating 10% of all sales to the Austin Humane Society. Pick it up if you feel so inclined!
Bad Days, by Mrs. Ghost