Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Balance and Composure - Light We Made (Oct 7 2016) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by bedwettingcosmo, Jul 6, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

pretty sure one of the things about yip is that no band has ever gone elsewhere after working with him

2. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

I mean he's great at producing that one sound, but after hearing so many of those records I just want something different. Especially after TTWTWM.

3. cwhit

i wouldn't call him great at anything production wise, lol

SayHello likes this.
  4. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

I mean I'm guessing the muddy sound is intentional.

5. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

ah fuck yip

6. cherrywaves

Trusted

Damn it took like two pages before the "Will Yip sucks" part of the discussion, usually takes only like five replies before that happens

Aaron Mook and Contender like this.
  7. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I don't get the hate on Yip. Think he does a good job.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  8. Horrorca

Trusted

Title Fight and Nothing do a good job with this sound

not the best songwriters out there, but good enough, I'd say

but yeah, I agree with you and would go as far as to say that many young have a cool sound but lack the writing chops

9. Horrorca

Trusted

Yip is hit or miss, but he is dedicated to the craft, and that's commendable

10. I don't think Will Yip is bad but I do think a lot of the bands that go to him simply don't really fit with his sound and it's odd that so many of them don't see that.

11. Why?

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but we don't have a lot to discuss in here right now besides Vagrant and Yip so I'm gonna probe a little

12. cwhit

eh, not a sound i like at all. pretty boring alt-pop, which is easily one of my least favorite genres. didn't like a single thing i heard when they opened for the 1975

13. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Bad Suns have some killer jams!

14. Gotcha. Yeah, if it's not your thing then it's just not your thing haha. I think they've got hands down the best rhythm section in the genre, and also feature some pretty interesting guitar work and great hooks all around. Just kinda one of those bands that seems so innocuous that I whenever I see a negative opinion about them I want to find out why haha. Different strokes!

15. SayHello

Regular

Will Yip is the WORST. That's how I feel.

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Honestly I've felt the same way about Yip in the past, but he's getting better I feel. Rooms of the House and Pale Horses sounded good.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. cherrywaves

Trusted

I think there was a loudness issue with the last B&C full length. I think overall the production was much better than it was on Separation, but it hurt to listen to at a high volume. I do see where criticisms of him are grounded, for sure.

Conversely I think he did a fantastic job with the Pity Sex and Title Fight full lengths, especially the newest. It suits that particular sound well.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  18. SayHello Jul 10, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 10, 2016)
    SayHello

Regular

I'll say this: When he strays away from the "stereotypical 90's grunge-rock" sounding albums, like the Turnover, Tigers Jaw, and Pity Sex records, they're decent. Anything he does relatively close to the vein mentioned above is just unlistenable.

Mister Lyrical and Zac Djamoos like this.
  19. cherrywaves

Trusted

Since when are any of those three bands grunge? Or are you saying those bands are not?

20. SayHello

Regular

Saying they're not..."as he strayed away from that (grunge) sound on those 3 albums".

21. Not a fan of what he did with Circa Survive's latest at all. Violent Waves had its blemishes as well but wasn't as grating overall, but iirc he didn't have his hands on that one as much.

22. Horrorca

Trusted

Yip has done some terrible shit

but

the guy recorded Keep You

I aspire to participate in creating something 15% as glorious in my lifetime

coleslawed likes this.
  23. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Dude has done some great albums.

I dont' get the hate.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  24. Deathco_019

Drummer

Albums can be great and still have mediocre production. Great songwriting =/= great production.

That clip is cool. Definitely has me more interested in the album after their last one, which I feel pretty indifferent towards.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  25. I haven't listened to this band in forever, I thought I was over them until I heard this clip lol. Sounds like a mix of mewithoutYou and Radiohead. Really hope it's not a letdown.

Gonna listen to other albums today and see how they hold up.

Aj LaGambina likes this.