Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Balance and Composure Announce Break Up • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 14, 2017.

1. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

The Things We Think We're Missing was everything I ever wanted from them. It followed up Separation perfectly. Light We Made was really good as well, and I loved Jon's performance when I saw them shortly after the album release. I wish I would have gone to the Circa tour, but B&C was really the main attraction for me, and I was annoyed that they had such a short set on it.

It's so frustrating how a lot of bands, B&C included, never have had the same type of opportunity artists from just 5 years prior to them had. It's awesome that they lasted 10 years, but ten years in they're still in the same slot they were in a decade prior on tours like the Circa/Thrice one.

There are few bands that blow me away and pull me in based off of simply hearing them live. I don't particularly enjoy opening bands that I have never heard of, simply because their set is so unfamiliar. Balance & Composure was one of the few exceptions, when I saw them open for Senses Fail prior to Separation's release. Title Fight was there that night as well, and did absolutely nothing for me. I went home and downloaded the Balance & Composure EPs up until that point and they have been one of my favorite artists since. I'll miss them. Hopefully I can catch whatever show they play in the spring, although I doubt I'll be able to travel at that point due to school/work.

2. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Damn not even a final US tour

3. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

do they even get that kind of draw?

they've always been openers when i've seen them except 1 time they headlined and the place wasn't even that packed.

4. DillonHigh

This has always been their thing performing live. Acting like they don't want to be there. But it worked for them

5. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

They’ll come back eventually and be bigger than ever. Their influence will live on forever. I’m glad they played my college town twice over the course of the last two years and I’m happy they ended on a killer album.

6. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

The earlier days around the time of Only Boundaries/first LP was very different. Used to go pretty hard during live shows. Then again, the newer releases have a much more laid back approach.

A band I truly grew into adulthood with. One that I watched play in my friend’s basement to 15 people when they were unknown. I love this band, I loved living near their hometown and seeing how much local love they had. Will be missed.

7. Oh for fuck's sake, another brilliant band gone. Shit.

8. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Separation was huge in helping me develop my music taste during the new wave of bands but I didn't love anything they put out afterwards.

Also as far as their live performances / energy on stage, they've looked bored doing it for the better part of that decade, I don't think that's a new thing.

9. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

SO GLAD, I didn't sleep on getting tix to the Philly show. Due to work I missed them on the Circa/Thrice tour and jumped on these tix. This makes it even more special/bittersweet.

carrytheweird likes this.
  10. ttmessick

Damnit.

11. ballroomtrance

Regular

Yeah, that was me haha

Larry David likes this.
  12. ballroomtrance

Regular

My friend (who had the "inside scoop") said they were thrilled about breaking up. Why even play that last tour then? Seeing some of these comments as well as videos of them on that tour on YouTube and they sounded terrible. If you don't give a shit and want to "call it quits", why waste a spot on a fucking killer bill?

Larry David likes this.
  13. To give fans a last chance to go see them?

14. Iamhollywood315

Regular

dammit. this literally just ruined my night. I had the itch to go to the Houston stop on the circa tour but didn't since it was a work night. Haven't seen them since I left NY. kinda figured they were iffy after being rather quiet.

15. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

I mean yeah, but not every fan dished out the $30-$40+ to see them play 25 minutes to a crowd of strangers?

16. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

This one stings, really really bad. Love this band.

carrytheweird likes this.
  17. You're not wrong but that doesn't really affect my answer to the original question haha. Not their fault if some of their fans didn't go out to the shows. They'd toured with Circa and Chon both before too so it's not like them being on the bill was super random or anything

18. DesireToPlease

Regular

Does anyone know why they decided to call it?

19. I'd imagine numerous reasons. Reception to LWM was not great as far I could tell, and they're clearly not very into playing their older, more energetic material anymore (and they're probably sick of the fans that continuously beg for it). They don't seem to like touring very much. I'm pretty sure a couple of them are getting, or have already gotten married and probably want the stability. Jon has a hip hop thing he's been working on that probably has no bearing on their status as a band but definitely shows that he wants to experiment with other sounds.

All of that is speculation on my part but I doubt there's really any "one thing" that caused a break up

20. aniafc

Trusted

I saw them last May and it was certainly interesting. They put on a pretty good show, but throughout the whole set no one in the crowd was moving and the band actually thanked the crowd for being chill/mellow. Then they ended with "I Tore You Apart In My Head" and a lot of people went nuts and the band just seemed to react with a sigh haha.

21. DillonHigh

Not a lot of money, but money none the less

22. DillonHigh

They were in a couple pretty bad car accidents that basically made them not want to tour also.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  23. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

I am personally bummed because I would have appreciated a proper farewell tour, not a 25 minute set. That’s what made me annoyed about the circa tour to begin with. I specifically chose not to attend it once I found out balance had such a short set. I realize it’s a typical opening set, but I figured since it was such a big tour with so many established artists that the set times would make more sense for each artist to get some playing time. I am always annoyed when artists announce breakups without proper farewell tours. If you’re going to play 4 shows, why not tough it out and spread it into 12 or so that span out towards the Midwest and west coast as well...

24. MrCon Dec 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 15, 2017)
    MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

I was caught out by this too. They were meant to play Bristol at the start of this year I think. really quite disappointed that they've called it a day before coming over again.

I saw them once before, in Dingwalls in Camden. They were really very good that night, but I was pretty unwell and just stood at the back, wishing I felt good enough to really enjoy it.

Sounds like they've not been so great more recently though...

DeRRek likes this.
  25. Dust Of Fallen Rome Dec 15, 2017
    (Last edited: Dec 15, 2017)
    Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

Fuck. I really didn't like Light We Made but I love the first two - both are still staples of my listening habits and I'll be playing "Tiny Raindrop" and "I Tore You Apart In My Head" tonight for sure.

DesireToPlease and DeRRek like this.