Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Suns - Mystic Truth (March 22, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

the second half of the closer is my favorite thing on here. besides that, not much really grabbed me. i'll give it a few more listens but they're just steadily been going downhill since their debut imo.

2. RoKKeR

The Fly

Yeah this is really good. I actually like the singles most out of all the songs so far, which was the complete opposite from Disappear Here.

Excited to catch them next month! These guys are so solid.

The chorus and harmonies on One Magic Moment are too good.

3. atlas

Trusted

I like that Howlin at the Sun reprises lyrics from A Miracle A Mile Away, nice touch

JRGComedy likes this.
  4. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I can’t stop listening to this album.

brentkid, jorbjorb and JRGComedy like this.
  5. Gooddayz

always and forever

First listen was quite enjoyable.

jorbjorb and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  6. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Cool write up about the new album on Epitaph.

"Bad Suns' new album Mystic Truth, their first ever album for Epitaph Records, is available now. As a marker of a new era for Bad Suns, it’s a remarkable step forward that’s at once melodically sharper and more emotionally complex than anything they’ve done before.

Produced by Dave Sardy (Oasis, The Head And The Heart, The Black Angels) and recorded at the legendary Sunset Sound and Sardy’s home studio, Mystic Truth finds Bad Suns synthesizing a range of disparate influences — R.E.M., Kate Bush, Blue Nile, and Mikhail Bulgakov’s magical realist masterwork The Master and Margarita — into a restless, defiant sound that straddles rock & roll, post-punk, and pop. The album’s title was inspired by a Bruce Nauman art piece that vocalist Christo Bowman stumbled upon at the Tate Modern, a neon-and-glass sculpture that spells out a possibly paradoxical statement in blue spiraled cursive: “The True Artist Helps the World by Revealing Mystic Truths.”

Throughout Mystic Truth, the band exhibits a refined sense of songcraft and a willingness to infuse their timeless sensibilities with adventurous sonic detours. Whether it’s the stuttering rhythmic bridge on “A Miracle, A Mile Away” — an idealized modern merger of the Brian Eno-produced eras of both U2 and Talking Heads — or the sprightly-yet-melancholic waltz of “Darkness Arrives (And Departs),” Bad Suns are torch-bearers for a brand of anthemic, open-hearted yet daring rock & roll long thought to be endangered. Mystic Truth is strong evidence that it’s in good hands.

Formed in Los Angeles County when they were teenagers, Bad Suns have come a long way since catching their first big break from LA radio institution KROQ after dropping a demo off in their mailbox. The band – hailed by NYLON as “hard-driving with heart” - performed on Kimmel and Conan, broke the Top 25 on the Billboard 200, toured with Halsey and The 1975, played Coachella and other marquee festivals, and sold out headlining dates across the globe. Their last album, 2016’s Disappear Here, was hailed by Alternative Press as “their most dynamic and introspective work yet,” adding “Bad Suns are merely getting started in their quest for world domination.”"

Gooddayz, jorbjorb and JRGComedy like this.
  7. Gooddayz

always and forever

I finally remembered what song Darkness Arrives reminds me of! Where Love Went Wrong by Augustana, no wonder why I like it so much

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  8. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Fucking A I adore this album.

Darkness Arrives is still my numero uno, but damn the album delivers front to back.

JRGComedy likes this.
  9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The show is sold out tonight. Good for them!

10. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

They are such a consistent band. Every song is at least pretty good. A good go to for a band to put on in the car when you don't know people's music tastes.

11. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

They played 8/10 songs off the new album tonight.

Songs they didn’t play from mystic truth:

-Howling at the sun
    -Separate Seas (bummed they didn’t play this one)

They even closed out the show with a new song and it went over really well with the crowd.

brentkid and JRGComedy like this.
  12. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Also, for anyone who's into this kind of stuff, when they play Miracle, A Mile Away Christo plays bass and sings. I was impressed bc that bass line is the best part of the song and Christo grooved hard too it. Crowd lost their minds when he put on the bass too. It was funny.

SEANoftheDEAD, brentkid and jorbjorb like this.
  13. brentkid

Regular

Was just checking in on whether anyone saw them on the new tour dates. Bummed to hear they didn't include Howling but I cannot wait to see them play Miracle, A Mile Away live. That song is too good.

14. Gooddayz

always and forever

Gosh I love this album and it's so easily replayable. I went through their discography the other day and I'm hard pressed not to say this is already my favorite.

AlwaysEvolving21 and JRGComedy like this.
  15. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

What did they play off of L&P and DH?

16. AlwaysEvolving21 Apr 4, 2019
    (Last edited: Apr 4, 2019)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

@Larry David

I was actually hoping to see Disappear Here live. Click the photo for the encore songs.

brentkid likes this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just picked up Disappear Here on vinyl for $16. I was planning on buying Disappear here on vinyl last night but they didn’t have it for sale. They had MT and L&P though.

JRGComedy likes this.
  18. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I can't imagine how hard it is to sing and play that bass line at the same time!

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Safe to say this is my current AOTY.

20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I love seeing your appreciation for this album!

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

It’s crazy. Never thought I’d be so into this band haha. My fiancée likes them a lot too so that helps.

We’ll see what happens when Bad Religion, Blink, and maybe new Jimmy Eat World drops this year.

But yeah...this album is an easy listen that keeps me super interested. Plus I like the lyrical content a lot.

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Definitely helps when your SO is interested. I had a girlfriend once who was super into RK's Collapsible Lung and I kept trying to show her Mmhmm and FANSD and she just wasn't interested haha.

Mystic Truth hasn't quite grabbed me like their last two, but at the same time, I've never started the album and not ended up listening all the way through, so I guess that's a good thing.

BR and JEW are my two favorite bands, so I'm beyond excited. Very curious to see what Blink has been cooking up too!

23. Gooddayz

always and forever

My gosh they played so many songs tonight. It was wonderful!

Last time I saw them was about four years ago and it was at a tiny tiny venue. Now they're packing in a full house at a 500+ venue, so cool to see their growth.

24. brentkid

Regular

What time have they been going on in relation to when doors open? I don't see any openers and I have a little bit of a drive to get there in time. Just wanna make sure I'm on time!

25. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

For me doors opened at 7. Opening act on at 8. Bad suns went on at 9:15

brentkid likes this.