Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Religion Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Finished this morning. It’s a fun read—maybe not as much for the musical history than the members speaking about their personal lives & relationships between one another (I laughed out loud at the bit about Brett exercising his vocabulary at Jay while they attended couples therapy.) I also enjoyed that there’s plenty of Bobby’s perspective covering his tenure in the band.

Disappointed Hetson didn’t participate, and in the messy timeline, like the book implying “You” being on the THPS2 soundtrack helped expand Bad Religion’s fan base in 1989/ 1990. Also I get that Age of Unreason is their newest LP, but the section on it feels so press release-y.

BR was one of the bands I listened to most from ages 17-22, and even though I didn’t devour this like I would have when I was younger, it’s a satisfying book on the whole.

2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My copy is being delivered today :-)

Orla likes this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I do miss Bobby. I gotta get the book.

Orla likes this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Haha every Bad Religion fan misses the drummer that was in the band when they started listening. I really miss Brooks.

mmhmm, Orla and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I don’t think they’ve had a bad drummer.

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Agreed! They've all been perfect for their era of the band. It's hard to imagine Pete playing on Submission Complete or Sinister Rouge, but in the same way, Brooks technical chops could've subtracted from the lyrical punch of Suffer or No Control

.K. likes this.
  7. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I just listened to submission complete today just to hear the drums haha.

JRGComedy likes this.
  8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

SO GOOD

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

the outro :heart:

definitely an underrated Bad Religion song.

JRGComedy likes this.
  10. Orla

Brooks was easily the most proficient drummer—and arguably greatest musician—the band‘s ever had, and him joining rejuvenated BR’s sound & elevated Greg & Brett’s songwriting at a pivotal time. It honestly surprises me he chose to stay in the band so long, but I’m glad he hid.

Bobby’s skills were definitely more limited, but he’s still a great drummer. I really dig his understated playing style, and it always did an excellent job of complimenting the songs. Plus in interviews, the dude’s never come off as anything but super humble and easygoing.

Pete’s drumming was a solid backbone. Could anyone have played what he did? Probably, but that’s what’s appealing to me. When I began playing drums, all I wanted to do was become at least good enough to play along to Suffer—it’s fun as hell

.K. and JRGComedy like this.
  11. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yes yes to all of those!

I used to not love Bobby's drumming because I kinda went backwards when I listened to the band, but Bobby is incredibly solid and elevated their sound at a pivotal time as well.

The leap from Against the Grain to Generator is wild and it hard to imagine Recipe For Hate happening without his flexibility. Much love to all the BR drummers (and guitarists, tbh. Baker has 25 years of excellent BR solos logged now)

.K. and Orla like this.
  12. Orla

Been giving The New America more love than I have in a long time over the past couple days, and I can’t express how much genuine appreciation I have for the lyric, “What good is skill if you don’t make it to the dance?”

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I came to Bad Religion with 0 baggage, so I have found a lot to appreciate in the Atlantic years. The Gray Race is in my top 3 albums and there's fun to be found on all the records.

From The New America, I really love 1000 Memories and A Streetkid Named Desire

AlwaysEvolving21, .K. and Orla like this.
  14. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Those records should no be dismissed. So many many fantastic songs. It gave them a little room to experiment and I would say to mostly a success.

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Their most fun album IMO.

I love my computer...

.K. and JRGComedy like this.
  16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Process Of Belief
    Gray Race
    Recipe For Hate

Not even gonna lie....’Age Of Unreason’ is creeping up the list towards my top 3. Only time will tell. I listen to the album quite often. Also, bonus points for the mango vinyl variant. It’s so sick.

17. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

This is my top 3 if you swap Process for Empire (and tbh sometimes Generator or True North edges out Recipe)

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  18. Orla

Empire Strikes First
    Against the Grain
    Stranger Than Fiction

Suffer
    Generator
    The Gray Race
    No Control
    Recipe for Hate

The first three have consistently been my favourites in that order over the years, my next five’s rankings change between one another pretty often, and the rest I feel more-or-less the same about. Everything has its share of gems, though.

JRGComedy likes this.
  19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I love Suffer and ATG but they've never hit for me the way they do for old school fans.

No Control finally clicked for me last year after I saw them play it live in full

20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d put Stranger Than Fiction at the top of my list, but then figuring it out from there is too difficult. This band never dropped off in terms of album quality.

21. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Just finished up my listen of No Substance for the first time in years. It's way more entertaining than I remembered. The checesefactor is full-fledge on this album and I think I love it. The production is awesome too! There are a lot of standout guitar solos on this thing that I don't remember.

The Voracious March of Godliness stood out A LOT revisiting.

Orla and JRGComedy like this.
  22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I've always thought it had some of their best full-on riffs. They're more of a rock band on that album and the production suits it well

Orla likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s definitely more of a rock version of BR, but they do a lot of cool on the record.

I think my favourite are No Substance, Strange Denial and In So Many Ways.

Listen tonight on this record in regular BR rotation. The political themes on this record feel so relevant right now.

Orla and JRGComedy like this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Toss Hear It in there and those are my favorites too!

.K. likes this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Really great opener for this record. Has the urgency we are used to from BR. Also a great contrast to Shades.

JRGComedy likes this.