Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Religion Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by AlwaysEvolving21, Feb 15, 2017.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Finally caught up on these. So damn good. Excited for the final one even though I never got super into Dissent or North

Going to have to bust my book open soon as well

2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I really like both.

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I always viewed Dissent Of Man as the 2010’s No Substance and New America. I also used to ride my bike for miles and miles while listening to the album lol.

Finite fucking rules. I hope they surprise us with that.

danielm123 and JRGComedy like this.
  4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Dissent feels personal and nostalgic from a writing point of view.

5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Dissent is a mixed bag and a ton of fun. Probably their most experimental after Into the Unknown and Recipe for Hate

6. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I never really thought of it as experimental. I could see how Recipe and New America could be called more experimental because they throw in some new elements. Dissent is definitely fun and it feels like the album version of the Do What Your Want (book) where they are looking back on things and reflecting upon them.

JRGComedy likes this.
  7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I guess the second half is what comes to mind for me. Cyanide, Where the Fun Is, I Won't Say Anything, etc. are all out of their regular wheelhouse.

.K. likes this.
  8. THW

Finite is seriously so good! I wish they would've put it on the album. I would love it if they busted it out during the next livestream.

AlwaysEvolving21 and .K. like this.
  9. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Anyone ever figure out how to preserve audio or video on the live shows?

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yes, stay tuned

11. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

That was a fun one, but as expected it was my least favorite. Definitely going to do a discog run next week it's been awhile

JRGComedy likes this.
  13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Pretty happy with all of these shows. Some fun surprises and I liked the rehearsal and interview footage, gave it a nice "tv special" feel

14. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Cool setlist. Enjoyed it. They gave a lot of love to True North, which is awesome. Greg was a bit off in the set though. His vocals were pretty flat, but he made up for it all with his old man dancing.

fredwordsmith and JRGComedy like this.
  15. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

Honestly I think this was my favorite one. Hearing a lot of True North cuts helps, as that is a personal favorite.

Truly, for as pointed and angry as so many of the lyrics are, I am deeply heartened and happy that these guys seem like a bunch of goofball nerds who all really enjoy each other. It would be exhausting to be so misanthropic about the world all the time as the end all be all, and the backstage stuff and talking heads show a lighter side. It wouldn’t kill them to show that part of it when live shows come back.

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Alright folks, DM me

.K. likes this.
  17. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

JRGComedy and Contender like this.
  18. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s been really fun seeing them celebrate and be celebrated for such an achievement in making great music and having longevity.

Their songs and messages have really stood the test of time and Greg’s voice is still as perfect as ever.

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Watched the 10’s setlist again last night. I’m so happy they played Land Of Endless Greed and Candidate. If they played Old Regime, Hello Cruel World, and Finite I think it would’ve been a perfect setlist for me.

That said, here’s how I’d rank the decades by setlist and performance.

-00’s -Surprisingly wonderful setlist and performance all around. I’ve watched this one more than any other episode

-80’s -There’s something about seeing them perform these old songs these days. They give these old songs new life and makes me appreciate them even more.

-10’s -only putting it this low bc the mixing was off and Greg’s vocals were flat in many songs haha

-90’s -Solid performance of this decade, but I still can’t help but feel a little let down by the setlist. There are just so many cool songs from this decade.

.K. and JRGComedy like this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Probably my ranking as well. The '00s setlist pleasantly surprised me, I did not expect songs like 52 Seconds or Beyond Electric Dreams.

The '80s was great because I discovered some songs through it. I had no idea In The Night was a good song lol

.K. and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’ve had time to rewatch these and my take aways are:

-this bands music is still as relevant as ever
    -I could have watched even more hours of them playing live
    -Greg’s voice is still as great as its every been or even better
    -the interview clips were a nice addition into the set and added something
    -The bands self awareness is so refreshing
    -Brian makes guitar solos look easy
    -the live performance and production sound were live record quality for sure
    -Jamie is such a pro and it’s fun watching him drum. It was nice seeing all the guys recognize that too
    -my favourite era is the 90’s but I wanted that set to be longer or have a little more variety
    -2010’s was probably my favourite to watch
    -it would have been nice to have Brett in there some way, probably in interview form, during one or two of the sets
    -1980’s set list made me wish they would have re-recorded a few old songs for the 40 year anniversary
    -I hope they talked about new music or had so much together that we don’t have to wait was long between records

22. AlwaysEvolving21 Jan 6, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 6, 2021)
    AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Good news is, as Greg, Jay, and Brian identified, there is still a lot to talk about in this world and there are still many books to read haha.

.K. likes this.
  23. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s been so nice to have some spotlight on this band and share that with other fans.

24. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Hell yeah! This band fucking rules and I hope they stay around for a long time (as long as they're happy and healthy, of course). I loved seeing/hearing Brian talk about how legendary the band has become while confidently placing the Bad Religion name/brand up there with the Sex Pistols and Ramones. That's honestly such a feat that I wouldn't even consider bands like Blink-182 and Green Day to be up there in that regard. ESPECIALLY for a band that isn't anywhere near the commercial success as the bands mentioned above. These guys are DIY and I fucking love that it has worked out for them that way.

Also, Brian clearly knows and understands how special it is to be apart of the band. He's definitely not taking it for granted.

fredwordsmith, JRGComedy and .K. like this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I love hearing Brian talk. He’s a huge part of that self awareness.

I think because he was part of a influential band that had a short run with Minor Threat, he’s very aware of influence and legacy.

Also, he had a choice, REM or Bad Religion, and is very happy with his choice. You can tell in those 26 years, he’s taken ownership of band and his role in it. I love the confidence. He’s funny, and he cares a ton. Plus he holds enough influence to bring his friend into the band with Mike. Brian is just invested, and so good at playing the solo’s that are key to BR.

Also on that healthy and happy comment, I feel like being a member of this band has helped some of these guys get clean over time. I thought that moment of Jay and Brian giving the sobriety pat on the back to each other was just so human and cool.