Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Religion - Age Of Unreason (May 3, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Mar 1, 2019.

1. amorningofsleep Mar 1, 2019
    (Last edited: May 3, 2019)
    amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

[​IMG]

via Epitaph Records

Preorder

Tracklisting:
    1. Chaos From Within
    2. My Sanity
    3. Do The Paranoid Style
    4. The Approach
    5. Lose Your Head
    6. End of History
    7. Age of Unreason
    8. Candidate
    9. Faces of Grief
    10. Old Regime
    11. Big Black Dog
    12. Downfall
    13. Since Now
    14. What Tomorrow Brings

bd007h likes this.
  2. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

15. Profane Rights Of Man (Bonus)

Not sure where it can be purchased.

Glad I’m not the only one really looking forward to hearing this. I know all the press is going to make it out to be a political/anti administration record, but they’ve been doing this sort of thing since 1980 and speaking out against these types of people for almost 40 years, so yeah, they were just given more fuel to write about. Said it in the other thread, but Greg sounds great still and I love how Bad Religion still sounds like Bad Religion.

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

So excited for this album

bd007h likes this.
  4. The Lucky Moose Mar 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Mar 28, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

One of my favourite bands since I bought Generator as a kid. I listened to so much True North. Very excited for this.

bd007h and JRGComedy like this.
  5. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Do The Paranoid Style is on streaming services!

3/3!

The solo is the shit too.

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Love the lyrics.

"Waive your rights like you just don't care"

7. This is everything I wanted it to be.

8. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Same. One of the few bands that has over 10 albums and still releases quality ones.

JRGComedy likes this.
  9. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Makes me so excited.

bd007h likes this.
  10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Honestly they don't really have a bad album in my book, just two or three that are less good than the others

11. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Most consistent band I listen too. I still can’t believe how great Greg’s voice continues to sound. They continue to play their own style and make impactful, relevant music. The patience will have paid off for fans. Bring on Age of Unreason (such a fitting title).

12. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I remember listening to The Resist Stance in 2010 and hearing Greg's voice and just thinking "damn... after 30 years?!"

bd007h and .K. like this.
  13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Jammed Gray Race today and its probably still my favorite from them. Process of Belief still slays too. I love this band so much.

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Gray Race is great!

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  15. Hell yeah! New Bad Religion is always good

16. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I’m pretty excited about getting that mango vinyl variant. I only have Recipe For Hate and New America on vinyl, which is super weird considering these guys are my favorite punk band. I need to step it up with my BR collection.

JRGComedy likes this.
  17. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

AshlandATeam, Kuri44 and .K. like this.
  18. Kuri44

Do The Paranoid Style is soooo fucking good

JRGComedy and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Epitaph write-up:

ABOUT AGE OF UNREASON BY BAD RELIGION
    Acclaimed Los Angeles punk rock band Bad Religion will release a new album entitled Age of Unreason on Epitaph Records on May 3. Since the group’s formative years they have steadfastly advocated for humanism, reason, and individualism. Now, when these values are in decline and nationalism and bigotry are on the rise, Bad Religion’s message has never been more essential. Age of Unreason delivers a powerful and inspired response - a political and deeply personal treatise on all they believe in.

“The band has always stood for enlightenment values,” co-songwriter and guitarist Brett Gurewitz explains. “Today, these values of truth, freedom, equality, tolerance, and science, are in real danger. This record is our response.”

The songs on Age of Unreason are both furious and meticulously crafted. There are references to contemporary events; racist rallies, Trump’s election, the erosion of the middle class, Colin Kaepernick’s protest, alternative facts, conspiracy theories, and there are homages to the literary and philosophical works that have long inspired the band.

The track “Chaos From Within” uses the band’s iconic fast, powerful and melodic sound to examine the current border wall controversy with the lyrics, “Threat is urgent, existential / with patience wearing thin / but the danger's elemental / it’s chaos from within.” As co-songwriter and lead singer Greg Graffin says, “Throughout history, walls have been used to keep the barbarians out, But it seems to me that the truly barbaric aspect of a civilization is the chaos that comes from within.”

Age of Unreason is Bad Religion’s 17th studio album and was co-produced by Carlos de la Garza. It is a timely work of immense power and one of their very best. Society’s step backwards has propelled the legendary band decidedly forward. There is an elevated craft in the way the song “Candidate" vividly evokes the current president, “I am your candidate / I am bloody lips and makeup /I'm your caliphate, opioids and mutilation / a celebrity and my name is competition.” Another track, entitled “The Approach,” addresses the possible demise of democracy with the lyrics, “There’s a moral and intellectual vacuum / and you're right to be lookin' askance / philosophically moribund, revolution hasn't a chance.”

This record is both a dire warning and testament to resilience. The overall message being - seek truth about the world and oneself. As Graffin, who holds a PhD in the history of science, says, “When I saw all these headlines about how terrible our world had become, I started doing a lot of reading. I read about the French revolution, the American Revolution, the Civil War, and I started to recognize that this is a pattern of history and something we should never venture into. There are ample warnings against it. Every school child should know this but it’s hard to get people to read about these things. Maybe this album can help. Because right now, with social media, we are just playing a version of kill the guy with the ball.”

AshlandATeam, HueyLewis and Contender like this.
  20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

This shirt is also fantastic.

38842_400x400.jpg

21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Seeing these guys in a couple hours!

Doors open in an hour, but idk if I wanna stand around for another hour until they start

It would be my literal dream if they're selling the new album at the merch table tonight

.K., AlwaysEvolving21 and Jason Tate like this.
  22. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I just watched Jay live on Instagram and those $10 shirts are the shit! Have fun and let us know if they play new songs!

JRGComedy likes this.
  23. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Just bought one, super cool!

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Show was great! They played a bunch of hits, a couple deep cuts, and then for the encore they played No Control in full.

They played all three of the new songs released so far, and then another new one that starts off slower with a heavy riff, speeds up a bit for an awesome guitar solo in the middle, then ends slower again.

@Jason Tate was that enough description to identify one of the new songs? Hahaha

25. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Nevermind about the new song, it was this one from Into the Unknown (!):

Here's the setlist: Bad Religion Setlist at The Roxy, West Hollywood

Jason Tate and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.