Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad opinions • Page 812

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by KimmyGibbler, Apr 11, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

People also forget that there were so many indistinguishable also-run bands back then too

stars143, SamLevi11, Crisp X and 2 others like this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

That's any era though, tbh.

The #1 single in 1969 was "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

They're pretty much that guy that does "every pop punk band" videos except they're serious

4. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The Ataris honked and their biggest hit was a Don Henley cover that wasn’t even that good.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The album that song came from has some gems on it, but it's really their only album that was more than OK

6. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

Knocking all pop punk is plenty defensible, but can't imagine shitting on the ataris if that's not the angle. Every album through that one is good in that context imo. Would put them closer to the best 90s/early 00s pop punk than not.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Nah, I just they’re a whatever band

8. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I actually really liked that album. The first 4 songs are a great little run. Fun summer album.

trevorshmevor and irthesteve like this.
  9. tomdelonge

Trusted

In retrospect, Anywhere But Here is the Ataris album that’s aged the best for me. I like the later ones well enough, probably mostly nostalgia, but the first one has a scrappy vibe that still works for me.

Kris is also a great singer and most pop punk singers are not

bradsonemanband likes this.
  10. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Kris loved my old band (was a fan before I even joined) and we’re FB friends lol but I never really got into their music

DarkHotline likes this.
  11. tomdelonge

Trusted

Ya I played a show w him in 2007 and he seemed like a pretty chill dude

the first message board i ever used was the ataris board too so i’ll always have a soft spot

12. That dude used to come into one of the Guitar Centers I worked at years ago, typically shopped with me and was always a pretty nice guy. You could definitely tell there was a layer of ego under the politeness though, and this was probably 8-9 years since they’d been a very popular band

13. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I feel bad because you can tell he really got thrown off by the fame of So Long Astoria and took a HARD left turn for the album after.

14. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

:heart:

despite here existing even earlier/at the same time, it was in a lot of ways a lot closer to what here is like now than early 2000s ap was

tomdelonge likes this.
  15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I saw the ataris a year ago because a local band opened for them. I told Kris I liked his the good life tattoo and then he proceeded to tell me his life story for about 10 minutes. Seemed like a nice enough dude though.

16. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I've never heard anyone say something 'honks'

Marx&Recreation, flask and Signifire like this.
  17. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

I was so confused by that post

18. flask

Trusted Supporter

The only place I’ve heard honks is the B9 lmao

19. cherrywaves

Trusted

I like the term honks. It's fun, innocuous, yet it conveys disappointment. Simple and effective.

disambigujason and flask like this.
  20. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Knuckle Puck has done some pretty cool stuff on their albums the puts them above most of the generic/boring pop-punk acts. I would argue they have never honked during their career though the early EPs are more straight forward.

And I am still waiting for The Ataris to put out a new LP

21. Collins

Trusted

If it doesn’t honk I ain’t listening

Iago likes this.
  22. Hey same! I was allllll over that message board back in the day. We probably ran into each other on there, haha.

23. I wish they'd just release all of the demos/recordings for the Graveyard album (Kris pretty much has already actually) and just start fresh on something new. I feel like it'd take a massive load off his shoulders and would be really inspiring to just start a new album. I know that money is part of the issue for him getting the album finished, and I suggested doing a Kickstarter or something, but Kris is way too DIY so he doesn't want to go that route, unfortunately.

But yeah, if they just started fresh with brand new ideas, I imagine the process wouldn't take 10+ years to get released. But who knows...

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

i follow a guy on twitter who says honks to mean rules, so now i’m all confused

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

In Germany a honk is an idiot or a fool

CarpetElf and Crisp X like this.