Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Books Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by h8bit, Apr 6, 2016.

1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Bad Books sometimes is kinda rule free. It’s an Andy song, it’s a Kevin song, or they are singing at the same time.

It’s Mesa, Az, it’s Wouldn’t Have To Ask or it’s Forest Whittaker.

Maybe they’ll play around with sounds and stuff to have a percussion element on some tracks. Hand claps. I don’t know. Just not drums. I get the concern and curiosity, especially over the span of an album. I hope this wasn’t a restriction, but a choice. I bet it was a choice.

coleslawed and AshlandATeam like this.
  2. AshlandATeam

Trusted

From that article:
    “The decision to throw out a traditional rhythm section in favor of an organ and foot pedals as the low-end presented a new set of challenges... The stripped-back nature of the work also provided an opportunity to build subtle production onto the songs’ foundations; adding piano, string arrangements, and even fuzzed-out electric guitar, the trio filled the spaces without overpowering any of the songwriting.”

Definitely a choice. And I think it’ll be a good one, given everything we know about them.

Anthony Brooks, coleslawed and .K. like this.
  3. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Why are people assuming no drums = acoustic?

Anthony Brooks, coleslawed and .K. like this.
  4. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Maybe Robert will play drums ha

5. AngryMan

Regular

The no drums thing is obviously just to balance out Swiss Army Man, where the only instrument used was drums. Duh.

6. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Good point on the VIP package acoustic show.

7. AngryMan

Regular

How big are these venues? The one I'm going to is in a church with 400 capacity. It is amazing for acoustic shows. And I think we've all seen MO and Kevin in much larger venues having no problem controlling a room while playing acoustic.

coleslawed likes this.
  8. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Newport Music Hall holds 1,700.

I saw Bad Books in 2013 there (as well as MO there a few times) and when they go soft, the crowd is a nightmare.

9. AngryMan

Regular

Oof, that's rough. You'd figure a Bad Books crowd would be ready for the quiet stuff.

10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I've seen MO 7 times, Bad Books once, RAGC once and Andy solo once. You'd think the crowds would be used to the softness (especially when sometimes Andy doesn't even sing into the microphone) but there are ALWAYS drunk people, people who came to the show more for a night out than a die-hard fan, or whatever. But when you gather that many people into a room (even if it's just 200 people when I saw RAGC and andy told the crowd at one point to 'shut the fuck up') there will be a lot of people talking, not paying attention, being loud, etc.

I just saw Better Oblivion Community Center a few weeks ago at a fairly large venue and half the crowd was super casual, being loud, not paying attention, etc.

AngryMan likes this.
  11. Gjpeace

Regular Supporter

Yeah, I've seen MO like ten times now, and I'm always amazed by how loud people are during the softest songs. People yelling stuff at Andy is the worst, but the general clamor is pretty awful too.

12. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Death Cab at The Agora was the worst. You'd think if people are paying $60 for a ticket they'd actually want to watch and listen to the show. Not talk loudly the entire time

.K. likes this.
  13. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I saw Lucy Dacus in February at a small venue with 250 people or so. The crowd was so loud that even though I was 10 feet from her right next to the stage, I could hear them over her anytime there was any dynamic to a song at all. It was so irritating it honestly about ruined the whole thing.

People are terrible at shows, and that makes me not even want to go sometimes.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  14. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I was 15.

MO was opening for BN. Andy started playing Sleeper. I noticed Vin sitting on the stage against an amp watching the show. I immeadiatly yelled, ‘Yeah, Vin!!!’

Andy didn’t react at all. Vinnie gave me the death stare for at least 15 seconds.

I hated myself the rest of the night.

I would want to kill me if that happened today.

benjammin07 likes this.
  15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

you mean "YOU" didnt react at all

chewbacca110 and Jim like this.
  16. AngryMan

Regular

I may be underestimating Bad Books, but when I said I would expect a Bad Books crowd to be ready for the quiet stuff, it was because I would assume 90ish % of the crowd only knows of BB through MO or Kevin. It makes sense that people would be loud at an MO concert since many are only there for the hits. To me, and my logic may be off so feel free to disagree, I would expect a Bad Books crowd to be more polite considering they've all likely been to MO or Kev shows prior.

teebs41 likes this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I agree with this

18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Here's a few videos I took at the Bad Books show in 2013 at Newport Music Hall in Columbus (same place they'll be playing). People are literally screaming throughout the entire song(s). I have other videos where people are trying to clap to a beat on You're a Mirror I Cannot Avoid.

(the 3:23 mark is just inexcusable..at 3:45 Andy says 'I'm gonna play that again')

AngryMan likes this.
  19. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I mean, Springsteen did an entire solo acoustic tour commonly referred to as the ‘Shut The Fuck Up Tour’, because of the speech he would give each night at the start of the show. It worked out.

It can be done.

20. AngryMan

Regular

Honestly, that's horrifying. What the fuck goes through people's heads? Oh, alcohol. Damn.

21. BoldTitan

Trusted

God that's fucking awful. My stuffing last year was honestly ruined by a bunch of drunk and high front bottoms fans talking the entire MO set right in front of me.

22. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh yea lol, that front bottoms crowd sucked. I remember during I know how to speak people were talking super loud and I said to my wife after the song“imagine talking during that..”

I know how to speak is an awesome song by the way

23. contra11mundum

Beer once hit my face during Front Bottoms while waiting for Manchester in Milwaukee.

24. benjammin07

took this in San Diego in 2012. not a whole lot of people at this show and it was truly incredible. he didn't use the microphone for Pyotr and there wasn't a soul speaking in that room besides Hull. Not sure I have been to a show quite like that where every person in that room was just there lost in the music. They are playing the same venue this time around and I can't wait.

25. contra11mundum

In relation to this conversation, I saw the Copeland tour in Columbus a few days ago and the audience was shockingly quiet for the whole thing, but particularly Many Rooms and From Indian Lakes. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard a more attentive, respectful crowd during an opening act. Ever. Haha