Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Bad Books - III (June 14, 2019) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, May 2, 2019.

1. Jbent

Trusted

This is great I think this laid back approach really works well for them. Loving this album.

2. Jim

Trusted Supporter

The last song rules so much

serotonin likes this.
  3. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I wonder what Simon & Garfunkel albums they like the most.

4. Serenity Now

Neighborhood gave me the most pause of any of the tracks on my first run. Great song.

Artdmg likes this.
  5. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

6. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

bad books instagram. its bad.

7. Dog Fish

Mutt

it's like the Desert woosh all over again.

8. Dog Fish

Mutt

I get that this probably won’t make sense to anyone because I don’t know what I’m talking about - but - Kevin’s verses in Army sound like...it was his first take or something. I can’t explain it. It sounds so weird to me. Not sure if it’s the soft singing, but it sounds timid or something? Idk. Never mind.

9. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Left Your Body is stunning

teebs41 likes this.
  10. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

sitting on my patio, drinking beers and listening to iii for the 15th time today and everything about this is beautiful.

JaytotheGee, ezmo311 and teebs41 like this.
  11. teebs41 Jun 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 14, 2019)
    teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I think its
    thus will be me soon

Edit currently happening.

12. Sybil Jun 14, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 16, 2019)
    Sybil

Regular

I think seeing that many people misconstrue, or misinterpret, my artistic expression/statement like that....would drive me mad.

13. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

not seen much love for "Lake House" but thought it was an absolute standout first listen, peak Andy

...but yeah "Army" tho

ezmo311, BoldTitan and teebs41 like this.
  14. Serenity Now

I like the alien theme present throughout most of the tracks. both in the literal sense with songs like UFO but also in the figurative sense of what it means to belong somewhere.

benjammin07, serotonin and teebs41 like this.
  15. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Only a few listens in but definitely a lot of highlights. Ton of great melodies, especially love Supposed To Be's chorus. I'm so glad they ride out Army for so long, that song could go on forever and I'd be okay.

Anyone else notice Neighborhood has that (nearly) same melody line as The Gold/Never Really Been Another Way Out?

16. Philll

Trusted

Has Kevin used some of the lyrics from I Love You before? The "love isn't passive" section is something I'm sure I've heard in another song. I know he's tweeted those lyrics before so maybe it's just that?

17. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

It’s never been in an officially released song but he interpolates it live during ballgame iirc

serotonin, Philll and teebs41 like this.
  18. Philll

Trusted

That must be it, I had wondered. Thanks!

Leftandleaving and teebs41 like this.
  19. Serenity Now

Anyone else catch themselves thinking about what some of these tracks would sound like recorded w a full band? Could hear tracks like Supposed to Be & Army as real rockers.

teebs41 likes this.
  20. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

this is quite good. really like the songs both Andy and Kevin sing together on

teebs41, KidLightning and .K. like this.
  21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Epic closer.

serotonin and teebs41 like this.
  22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this album is fucking amazing

23. Serenity Now

So I got one of the tickets to the tour that gets you into a Q&A with them before the show. If the crowd is quiet, I want to come ready with some interesting conversation starters. What's everyone think of these?
    • What track off of III took the longest to get to its final state?
    • Are there any alternate versions of songs off of III lying around somewhere?
    • They like to do cover songs here and there, wonder if there are any covers that they've attempted but scrapped after being unable to fully figure out.
    • KD & AH have a long history of collaborating, wonder if either of them would ever release a song in their entities outside of Bad Books that was written by the other person. For ex, would Manchester Orchestra ever be open to releasing a song written by KD?

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I would 100% ask what was the decision behind making the album/tour as just a 3-piece and no drummer.

The cover thing is interesting, a few months ago Andy posted on his Instagram story doing a super dark cover of REM’s The One I Love.

Serenity Now, .K. and teebs41 like this.
  25. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I’d ask about Bad Books longevity (hopefully). How it’s a great side project for experimenting musically with friends, and possibly less pressure. I know the guys have said it’s not really profitable, but it must be cool to have pursued a band together and put out 3 (hopefully IV) albums.

Serenity Now likes this.