Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2012 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Also, it's nice to see people mentioning Circa's "Violent Waves", I always thought most people disliked that album here, or rated it as their worse one at least. I personally love it, but it wouldn't be on the same level of interaction etc. to rank it so high. I think very often my AOTY is something out of nowhere or without any higher expectations, though "On Letting Go" was a high TOP AOTY for me and remains really important to this day.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

probably my least favorite circa album

Crisp X likes this.
  3. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's what I was talking about and generally the vibe that I was getting around here ;D but still, at least like 5 people already mentioned the album in their lists, so it's cool to see there's the other side to it.

4. The Grey Man

Newbie Supporter

2012 was the year I moved from my hometown to the suburbs of Madison, WI. I left the job I had worked all through college with the hopes of finding better prospects in a bigger city (the town I was living in had around 50,000 people). I didn't have a full-time job and I was moving in with a roommate so I remember that summer was pretty worrying (would I find a full-time or 2nd part-time job? what would it be like to live in a new city away from family and security nets?).

The albums I listened to nonstop that year include Yellowcard, Fun, The Gaslight Anthem, Say Anything, and Motion City Sountrack. Some of these have stuck with me longer than others but I think 2012 was the year where I finally felt like I was becoming an adult. Crazy to think that it's been 8 years since then and looking forward to how much will change in the next 8 as well.
    1. MewithoutYou - Ten Stories
    2. Yellowcard - Southern Air
    3. The Gaslight Anthem - Handwritten
    4. Anberlin - Vital
    5. The Avett Brothers - Carpenter
    6. From Indian Lakes - Able Bodies
    7. Fun - Some Nights
    8. All Time Low - Don’t Panic
    9. Motion City Soundtrack - Go
    10. House of Heroes - Cold Hard Want
    11. Anchor & Braille - The Quiet Life
    12. Bad Books - II
    13. Good Old War – Come Back as Rain
    14. The Menzingers – On the Impossible Past
    15. The Early November - In Currents
    16. Circa Survive - Violent Waves
    17. Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
    18. Passion Pit – Gossamer
    19. Showbread - Cancer
    20. Anthony Green - Beautiful Things
    21. Neon Trees - Picture Show
    22. Less Than Jake - Greetings and Salutations
    23. Taylor Swift - Red
    24. States - Room to Run
    25. Say Anything - Anarchy, My Dear
    26. Mumford & Sons - Babel
    27. Misser - Every Day I Tell Myself I'm going to Be a Better Person
    28. Sleeping with Sirens - If you were a movie, this would be your soundtrack
    29. Eve 6 - Speak in Code
    30. Wolves at the Gate - Captors

Crisp X, Jason Tate and anonimito like this.
  5. BenSmith94

Trusted

Going back through my library, genuinely surprised to see so few albums from 2012 which actually resonated with me.

1. Good Kid, M.A.A.D City - Kendrick Lamar
    2. Channel Orange - Frank Ocean 9.5
    3. Southern Air - Yellowcard 9
    4. A Flash Flood of Colour - Enter shikari 9
    5. 18 Months - Calvin Harris 8.5

Honourable mention to Don't Panic by All Time Low. I couldn't even find 10 albums I really liked from that year that I'd listened to fully. I've listened to The Menzingers/Japandroids/Gaslight Anthem a couple of times but haven't come back to them in years due to my own laziness.

Crisp X likes this.
  6. Crisp X Jul 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 5, 2020)
    I'm late once again, but because for some reason, my 2012 memories were blurry. The first half of that year in particular.

I remember my tastes changing drastically, and on the more personal side, having a hard time at high school, starting to suffer more noticeably from depression and more, finally seeing my former favorite band months before finding out the singer is a pedo, and getting into politics stuff on the ap.net forum and just having to question a lot of ingrained things... even if all this turned out to be important, it's not a year I look back fondly. A year of painful growth in some sort.

On a more positive side, I can vividly recall the day Laura Jane Grace came out, one of the most importants of my personal journey as I wouldn't be the person that I am today without her. Seeing Blink-182 that summer not only was a childhood dream fulfilled, but it also made for one of my most memorable trips with my brother and our friends. It gets to the point where we all recall more the funny shenanigans that went with the silly drunken dudes we met on the parking and became show buddies with, than the actual show itself.

But to get back to the music, here's my list and yeah, perhaps that year wasn't more stacked than I remember when it comes to my then faves. However, the album that do come to mind remained important over the years:

Deftones - Koi No Yokan
    Ellie Goulding - Halcyon
    Young Guns - Bones
    Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
    Purity Ring - Shrines
    Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
    Anberlin - Vital
    Friends - Manifest
    Gallows - Gallows
    Submotion Orchestra - Fragments
    HaKU - Simulated Reality
    The Intersphere - Hold On, Liberty!
    Every Time I Die - Ex-Lives
    Billy Talent - Dead Silence
    Matryoshka - Laideronnette
    The Chariot - One Wing
    The Early November - In Currents
    Now, Now - Threads
    Brendan Rivera - No Ocean In Ireland
    Belle Histoire - Dreamers
    Miguel - Kaleidoscope Dream
    Jessie Ware - Devotion
    Turboweekend - Fault Lines
    Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
    Sucré - A Minor Bird (haven't heard it in years though)
    Mark Rose - Wonderful Trouble (looks like it came out late in 2011 but for some reason I recall it from 2012)
    Hit The Lights - Invicta (one of those rare cases where I like one and only one album from a band, but I'm not sure this still holds up by the way)

I got slightly disappointed by Circa Survive, Enter Shikari, Say Anything, Motion City Soundtrack, Minus The Bear, etc... and since then, those records weirdly still not resonate that much with me.

I *really* got into these albums a bit latter too:

Taylor Swift - Red
    Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel
    All Time Low - Don't Panic
    Yellowcard - Southern Air

The Grey Man and anonimito like this.
  7. Oh samesies. I have to add Die On Stage was a bounce back but I'll get into that in the 2014 list.

ghostxvapor likes this.
  8. ghostxvapor

Trusted

I agree with you 100%

Crisp X likes this.
  9. The Grey Man

Newbie Supporter

I completely forgot about this album. Gonna listen and reminisce about 2012.

Crisp X likes this.