Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2011 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 15, 2020.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

This was also the year SYG and FYS released their bad albums after being two of my favorite bands at the time so that was a bummer

Crisp X and trevorshmevor like this.
  2. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

2011 holds a special place in my heart. It was a big social breakthrough for a 15 year old me, and lot of that was thanks to my band back then. An exciting time.

Crisp X and Bartek T. like this.
  3. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Gambino and Mansions were good shouts

4. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

My mistake. You are correct, it was Thomas.

5. The Grey Man

Newbie Supporter

Looking back at a lot of these lists reminds me of all the time I spent browsing the local record store in 2010-2013 and buying cds. Feels even weirder today in covid-times and even somewhat hard to remember the last time I bought a cd.

Crisp X and Jason Tate like this.
  6. Yeah, I still think Bon Iver has best album of the decade, and I also give Elsie the nod here as my favorite from the year. I'm a walking paradox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It led to SYG getting really pissed at Thomas though online. :crylaugh: Kinda worth it.

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

The golden era for sure lol not as good as GFYTN but close

Crisp X likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

[​IMG]

9. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

for as much as i love gaslight anthem i've never really connected with horrible crowes or brian's solo stuff. i'll give it another go today.

10. BelieF

Regular

LOL No Suburbia

11. BelieF

Regular

It took 10 years to get it wrong LOL

12. TWY have like three good songs and none of them are on Suburbia so

disambigujason likes this.
  13. My dislike for virtually every The Wonder Years album has been apparent and stated ... basically every year of the last ten at least. :crylaugh: The only one I like is the Greatest Generation and it’s only ok.

phaynes12 and trevorshmevor like this.
  14. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Scorching take!

I think they have a lot of good songs that would be better with slightly less histrionic vocal delivery from Soupy. I also feel this way, x10, about Spanish Love Songs.

Crisp X, latortuga, Jusscali and 2 others like this.
  15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

The Wonder Years have always felt like they wanted to be part of the era of classic pop punk bands (Startling Line, Yellowcard, etc) but were just right behind. They never quite broke past "pretty good pop punk" to GREAT. They also haven't evolved much over... what, 5? 6? albums? They have a very specific niche of music they make and don't wander far from.

16. Being a pop-punk band without catchy choruses leads to some :fire: takes.

Deja vu in here.

17. It’s funny you bring up SLS because I have the same relationship with them — a pop punk band that I get the appeal of from a lyrical perspective, but does absolutely nothing for me from an instrumental perspective. Definitely agree on the vocals of both bands for sure, especially with SLS it’s kinda over the top haha

Mary V likes this.
  18. Jusscali

TWY def haven’t aged well

19. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

yeah wonder years have only gotten worse since they became an alt-rock band. they're too talented for boring pop punk but not nearly talented enough for what they're trying to do now.

20. Jusscali

100 percent. Always trying to be something they aren’t - at least it feels that way.

21. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

I hauled off and bought Suburbia after those year end rankings. Figured it was a can't miss.

Listened to it twice

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

i think it makes sense to leave them off now. 2011 me would be heated. they were top tier of that era imo.

23. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Here to defend suburbia. Love that album

24. Albe

1. dawes - nothing is wrong
    2. iioi - p r o p e r
    3. death cab - codes & keys
    4. bon iver - s/t
    5. thrice - major/minor
    6. TA - ptsbbam
    7. iioi - twelve towns
    8. middle brother - s/t
    9. brown bird - salt for salt

honorable mentions: fleet foxes, la dispute, twy, bright eyes, the civil wars, manchester orchestra

Bartek T. and Craig Manning like this.
  25. grimis16

Regular

Simple Math has definitely aged well. I think following and then having to live up to Mean Everything to Nothing is impossible.

Augustana is also an album that aged well. Still listen to it regularly.