Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2010 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Just find it surprising is all.

2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

The Roots - How I Got Over is the first album that comes to mind for me

mad and Crisp X like this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

lol I have listened to exactly one album on the OP list

4. My favorite The Roots album, but I'm biased because this was my first.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  5. pbueddi

Trusted

Just by coincidence, I listened to A Thousand Suns by Linkin Park yesterday. I think I might have to change my vote from the favorite album poll from the other week. What a great record. It definitely changed their sound, but it just works. Waiting For The End might be one of my favorite LP songs of all time, especially the second half. Really surprised to see it left off the list.

AshlandATeam, anonimito and Crisp X like this.
  6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Gayngs - Relayted was the best album of 2010

mad likes this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

Mine is Game Theory. I'm an exception, but I've come close to concerting some people here.

Crisp X likes this.
  8. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Well, that year seems also less nostalgic to me already - it's like it was a start of the years that I can challenge as disappointing & years I could've had spent differently.

Also, I'm with @Jason Tate on Omni love! and I'd have to think of my AOTY of 2010, it could be Circa's Blue Sky Noise! Can't think of anything else now.

Crisp X likes this.
  9. 2010 was a MUCH bigger years for movies in my life than it was for music, so it's awesome seeing The Social Network so high here.

A few other thoughts -- Danger Days was actually the album that made me a My Chem fan, so I loved that album in 2010; but I was totally in the camp that didn't like Invented, which has now become my #2 favorite JEW album (behind Clarity).

The only glaring hole I see here is House of Heroes's Suburba, since I know that you were a pretty big fan, at least back in the day. It's a tight competition whether Suburba or TEINTE goes down as my favorite HOH album.

Keep it up! I've really enjoyed reading these re-rankings, especially due to the commentary (not just the rankings themselves).

anonimito likes this.
  10. Oh yeah that album's held up well for me, too. I liked Erase Me a lot, but I'd love to receive another album or two in the vein of Disambiguation.

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

surgerone and Anthony Brooks like this.
  12. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

13. soggytime Jul 9, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2020)
    soggytime

Trusted

In 2010, I was graduating high school and then entering my first semester of college, so the music I was listening to reflected a lot of that. The artists I had on REPEAT were the new records from Four Year Strong, A Day to Remember, Kanye West, Kid Cudi, Lil Wayne, Eminem, Deadmau5, Skrillex and Minus the Bear.

Re-Ranked with 2020 eyes:

1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    2. Tame Impala - Innerspeaker
    3. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
    4. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    5. Deftones - Diamond Eyes
    6. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
    7. Minus the Bear - Omni
    8. Four Year Strong - Enemy of the World
    9. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager
    10. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
    11. A Day to Remember - What Separates Me From You
    12. Wiz Khalifa - Kush and Orange Juice
    13. Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
    14. Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
    15. The Wonder Years - The Upsides
    16. The Black Keys - Brother
    17. Jimmy Eat World - Invented
    18. The Menzingers - Chamberlain Waits
    19. Rick Ross - Teflon Don
    20. Kendrick Lamar - Overly Dedicated
    21. Pretty Lights - Glowing in the Darkest Night
    22. J. Cole - Friday Night Lights
    23. Bomb the Music Industry! - Adults!!!: Smart!!! Shithammered!!! And Excited By Nothing!!!!!!!
    24. Drake - Thank Me Later
    25. Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

14. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

needs more deftones

Crisp X, soggytime and trevorshmevor like this.
  15. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Just out of curiosity, did you try that song?

If you did & weren't into it, cool, taste is subjective, etc. But, especially since you posted about Gaslight Anthem & Jimmy Eat World, & a lot of people on this site who love 'em also love a lot of Taylor Swift's best album cuts... I dunno. If you only know her biggest singles, & you like finding new music, it's worth giving a shot.

"All Too Well," "State of Grace," & "Holy Ground" might be the best entry points for a Gaslight Anthem, etc., fan.

16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Though also, normally I don't care for unsolicited recommendations, lol. There's so much shit out there that people should be able to make their own decisions on what they wanna put into their ears, w/in reason.

I think the only reason I just felt that need to recommend Taylor Swift songs is that, in 2020, there are still people who get caught up subconsciously in certain narratives & miss out on good stuff that they'd actually really dig with an open mind. We were talking about that recently in the unpopular/bad music opinions thread. It's freeing to move past certain assumptions on what is & isn't cool, etc., & discover dope shit that you tricked yourself into not liking.

But, yeah, we all just ultimately like what we like, & that's that, more or less. lol.

Crisp X, surgerone and Garrett like this.
  17. elroyo

ya left out black keys and deftones.

18. btr

Trusted Supporter

Loved that Black Keys album. And damn, I thought ADTR was 2011. That would go high on my list now

soggytime likes this.
  19. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Happy to see Danger Days get its due. Looking back, I don't think MCR wanted to be a band anymore at that time, but they still gave it their all and ended their legacy with a damn good album. When most bands who are about to break up make one last album, I usually find it never holds up, but Danger Days does for me and I think that's a testament to their quality as a band.

I don't go back to 2010 much nowadays, but Diamond Eyes and Blue Sky Noise are the two albums I come back to on a regular basis. Both of those albums I think are absolute gems in the discography of two incredible bands.

BEsterley likes this.
  20. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m pretty sure that album was really poorly received when it came out, especially on absolutepunk. I’ve always liked it but it’s definitely super polarizing

Crisp X likes this.
  21. pbueddi

Trusted

Do you think it's an album that has maybe aged better with people over time?

@Jason Tate any thoughts on the album?

22. soggytime

Trusted

I think a lot of Linkin Park's discography has grown on people over the years - a big cutoff point for me was Minutes to Midnight and I fell out of love with them for a while. I felt terrible when Chester passed for not giving their later albums a fair shake and did a deep dive. A Thousand Suns in particular was a standout from their post-Meteora work

Crisp X and pbueddi like this.
  23. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

honorable mentions - a great big pile of leaves - have you seen my prefrontal cortex; bad books - bad books; s. carey - all we grow
    25. kvelertak - kvelertak
    24. autolux - transit transit
    23. underoath - ø
    22. high on fire - snakes for the divine
    21. flying lotus - cosmogramma
    20. superchunk - majesty shredding
    19. mavis staples - you are not alone
    18. the chariot - long live
    17. the drive-by truckers - the big to-do
    16. the gaslight anthem - american slang
    15. vampire weekend - contra
    14. my chemical romance - danger days
    13. the dead weather - sea of cowards
    12. sufjan stevens - age of adz
    11. the black keys - brothers
    10. trent reznor and atticus ross - the social network OST
    9. frightened rabbit - the winter of mixed drinks
    8. gorillaz - plastic beach
    7. the felix culpa - sever your roots
    6. the national - high violet
    5. deftones - diamond eyes
    4. colour revolt - the cradle
    3. spoon - transference
    2. tame impala - innerspeaker
    1. titus andronicus - the monitor

wow the best list yet again wow

Crisp X likes this.
  24. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Great big pile of leaves album is awesome. Forgot about that

Crisp X, Chase Tremaine and Bartek T. like this.
  25. Crisp X Jul 11, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 11, 2020)
    2010 was a transitional year as I started high school, had my first crush, lots of bands and artists were about to put important albums. It's such a special year to me looking back. I also started to expand my horizons outside of what was popular in the scene, which will be more reflected in the following years.

Alright, on the top off my head, that was more or less my top in no particular order:

Underoath - O Disambiguation
    Deftones - Diamond Eyes
    Minus The Bear - OMNI
    Young Guns - All Our Kings Are Dead (which turns 10 tomorrow and whose anniversary show obviously got cancelled but hopefully they'll make up for it next year)
    Gabriella Cilmi - Ten
    School Food Punishment - Amp-Reflection
    The Automatic - Tear The Signs Down
    A Hope For Home - Realis
    Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
    Shad - TSOL
    Transit - Keep This To Yourself
    Conditions - Fluorescent Youth
    Eightfourseven - Lossless
    Comeback Kid - Symptoms + Cures

I still love all those albums like day one, and since then I would add:

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
    Christina Aguilera - Bionic
    Ellie Goulding - Bright Lights
    Linkin Park - A Thousand Sun's (which I disliked at first, go figure)
    Marina And The Diamonds - The Family Jewels
    Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
    Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart

Okay there was that Make Do And Mend album too, but I haven't listened to it, or to this band in a long time. One of those times where I was so sure a band would be huge, at least in the scene, but it turns out I was wrong. Samesies about Four Year Strong.

anonimito likes this.