Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2010 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Crime In Stereo and The Graduate remain some of my favorite all time albums stoked to see them here.

As for other stuff I got into

Transit - Keep This To Yourself
    AM Taxi - We Don't Stand a Chance
    Four Year Strong - Enemy of the World
    Fair -Disappearing World
    Man Overboard - Real Talk
    The Story So Far - While You Were Sleeping EP
    The Wonder Years - The Upsides (huge for me)
    The Sleeping - The Big Deep
    Tigers Jaw- Two Worlds
    The Audition - Great Danger

Crisp X and anonimito like this.
  2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I got the Anberlin album and Ludo's Prepare the Preparations in the mail on the same day and then rushed over to my friend's house so we could listen to them together.

This year was also the year that I got into Jimmy Eat World, Motion City Soundtrack, and Hellogoodbye.

anonimito likes this.
  3. surgerone

Regular Supporter

@Jason Tate this part felt ripped straight from my mind: "In order to use social media over the past four years, I’ve had to develop blindness for certain topics. A way for my brain to see and yet just skip over various things without letting them actually register."

(Also re:OMNI, I'm with you)

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. surgerone

Regular Supporter

surprised no one's mentioned BMTH's There is a hell..., that was the album that got me into them

5. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

That's disappointing.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  6. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Gaslight - American Slang
    Wonder Years - the upsides
    Jimmy - invented

Everything else.

7. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Gaslight Anthem #1 is correct.

The Republic of Wolves Varuna should have been so so much higher, but considering how little exposure they had a on grand scale I am happy this was and still is on the list. I wish these guys would make another record.

8. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I ended up not posting my 2010 list on Facebook, & as a result, it's now... gone. Oh well.

What I do remember is that my top 3 at the time were Kanye West, The National, & the debut album from Christian songwriter Audrey Assad. Forget what order I settled on, though I'm pretty sure I gave Kanye the top spot?

If I were redoing it today, which I guess I am redoing it today, I think it'd look like this:

Audrey Assad - The House You're Building
    Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    Anberlin - Dark is the Way, Light is a Place
    End of a Year [Self Defense Family] - You are Beneath Me
    Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns
    My Epic - Yet
    Jars of Clay - The Shelter
    Dessa - A Badly Broken Code
    The National - High Violet
    Chromatics - In the City EP

Not sure what it is about The National's non-Boxer albums that's lost its luster for me in recent years. Discovering them in '09 through AbsolutePunk's forums was huge for me, & I was intially very into both follow up albums, but outside of Boxer & some other individual songs here & there... Their music just doesn't hit where I'm at these days, I guess.

Looking at how much I still love You are Beneath Me, I wonder why I did a bad job of keeping up w/ Self Defense Family over the following decade. Loved a few of their EPs afterwards, but otherwise just fell off. I kinda view 'em as a crass version of mewithoutYou, who's wrapping up their career, so maybe now's the time to start catching up.

Still remember that Todd guy, whatever his username was, starting a thread for Chromatics on AbsolutePunk w/ the "In the City" music video.

Audrey Assad has continued to be an important artist with a career path perfect for my personal faith journey. Got to see her play a free concert at a nearby theology school back in January, which happened to be in the midst of a fast I was doing, & dang, that was a beautiful experience. So, yeah, I gotta give her my top spot.

Kanye is an asshole.

Chase Tremaine and anonimito like this.
  9. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

1. Gaslight Anthem- American Slang
    2. The Menzingers- Chamberlain Waits
    3. The Wonder Years- The Upsides
    4. Bayside- Killing Time
    5. The National- High Violet
    6. Band of Horses- Infinite Arms
    7. Transit- Keep This to Yourself
    8. Four Year Strong- Enemy of The World
    9. Against Me!- White Crosses
    10. Man Overboard- Real Talk

.K. likes this.
  10. Tim

Speak Now is low on my personal Taylor Swift rankings, but I do love that its album cycle was when the conversation on AbsolutePunk finally shifted away from "look at these pretty pictures of her" & towards her being respected as an artist. Those Fearless days were pretty lonely, lol.

Craig Manning likes this.
  11. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Relatively speaking, I thought this was a weaker year for me. Cool seeing Fair up in there, though. I’ll go digging a little later.

12. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I still really like it, for very specific personal memories of when it came out, while also acknowledging that it's probably the album of hers that has aged the least well (a few of the songs, specifically "Better Than Revenge" and "Innocent," are tough listens these days). But yes, a shift definitely started with Speak Now and completed with Red a couple years later.

surgerone and Tim like this.
  13. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

without thinking about it too much

1. MGMT- Congratulations
    2. Kanye- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (feels weird putting this here...)
    3. Sufjan Stevens- Age of Adz
    4. Vampire Weekend- Contra
    5. My Chemical Romance- Danger Days
    6. Gorillaz- Plastic Beach
    7. Janelle Monae- The ArchAndroid
    8. Taylor Swift- Speak Now
    9. Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
    10. The National- High Violet

Mary V likes this.
  14. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

There's days when I think American Slang is top 5 of the last decade. Probably the album I've listened to most... that whole summer it was basically the only thing on repeat.

AshlandATeam, Craig Manning and .K. like this.
  15. Craig Manning

It’s an album I think I should have ranked higher on my decade list, that’s for sure.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

could've sworn the red era was when everyone on ap warmed up to taylor. correct me if wrong of course

Crisp X likes this.
  17. Anthony Brooks Jul 8, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 9, 2020)
    Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Wow this year had way more to it that I thought. Here's how I think I'd rank them today, but a lot of the albums at the bottom/honorable mentions I havent listened to in ages. But I imagine they'll hold up. Time to dig back in.

1. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    2. Menomena - Mines
    3. Circa Survive - Appendage
    4. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
    5. Deftones - Diamond Eyes
    6. Underoath - (Disambiguation)
    7. Alexisonfire - Dog's Blood
    8. The National - High Violet
    9. Bad Books - Bad Books
    10. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
    11. Drake - THank Me Later
    12. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
    13. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr Rager
    14. The Naked and Famous - Passive Me, Aggressive You
    15. Cloudkicker - Beacons

Honorable Mention:
    Raised By Swans - No Ghostless Place
    Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
    Her Name Is Calla - The Quiet Lamb
    Against Me! - White Crosses
    Secret and Whisper - Teenage Fantasy
    PMtoday - In Medias Res
    The Felix Culpa - Sever Your Roots
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network
    Gaslight Anthem - American Slang

BEsterley, Crisp X and skogsraet like this.
  18. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

The love tswift gets on here is wild to me.

19. Craig Manning

You’re correct, but there were a few of us in the Speak Now thread!

Garrett likes this.
  20. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

she’s a great songwriter and arguably the biggest musician of her generation, of course there’s love for her

21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

[​IMG]

Garrett and Craig Manning like this.
  22. Tim

Yes, as far as the site at large was concerned, but the Speak Now era was when those who did go in her thread finally talked about her music more than how pretty she was.

This was in the same era that there was a thread (or two?) dedicated to pictures of sexy people.

Garrett, OhTheWater and Craig Manning like this.
  23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Is that thread better or worse than the thread on here of users talking about the sex they have with people who probably don’t know that it’s being posted about on a public forum?

Sry

FTank, Garrett, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  24. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Big ones for me that year we’re underoath, circa, anberlin, Norma Jean, neon trees.

Alesana and sleeping with sirens were other favorites but haven’t held up as well. I think the My Chem and Linkin Park releases were among the most disappointing records I’ve listened to. Never came around on either of them unfortunately.

BEsterley likes this.
  25. O Disambiguation was my #1 and remains my #1. One of my favorite albums of all time.

Just putting that out there. Now let's read the thread and try to remember everything I listened to and loved that year!